THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sabatti at the range part two
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti at the range part two
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Todays group with my "cobbled together" 470 NE Sabatti. This is my second time ever to fire a double rifle, while my groups are not up to par with Jorge's "cobbled together" Sabatti, I am quite happy with what I am getting. As you can see the barrels are crossing, this group was shot at 50 yards off sticks. My understanding is that by reducing the velocity this may straighten itself out.

I have yet to shoot over a chrony, I am just trying to get the hang of the whole double rifle thing.

All I have shot so far are Hornady DGS 500grain factory loads, what it was regulated with ( using a chain saw and sledge hammer it seems ) at the factory.

50 yard group

Next time I'm gonna bring my wind flags to the range, maybe I can get rid of some of that horizontal????????? Cool

So far it looks like I'm gonna get to use the extra $2,500.00 bucks towards trophy fees in June.

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
JTEX: That's about what I can do off sticks. My groups were all of the bench with rock-steady bags. That is an excellent group. Also double check the bullet your rifle was regulated with. Mine says DGX and when I've shot solids (just once) they were a bit faster which makes sense. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave the flags at home and bring a chrony.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Looks like "minute of Cape buffalo, elephant or hippo" to me. The experts here will tell you how to make it better but that looks good to me. tu2

Glad to see Sabattis showing some promise.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Looks like "minute of Cape buffalo, elephant or hippo" to me. The experts here will tell you how to make it better but that looks good to me. tu2

Glad to see Sabattis showing some promise.

+1

Get them uncrossing and that wouldn't be bad as a start.

And if you start reloading, you should be able improve it
just because you are reloading.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at a couple of Sabatti rifles while at the SCI show. I still think for the money it is a good double. Yes it is kinda rough in places and no frills. Yes the crowns were cut to kick the bullet in the right place. No I don't like that but lets see what is it going to be used for? Target shooting at 600 yards, NO. Is it going to be used at 100 yards, maybe. Now for the person who goes on an Africa hunt and really wants to do it with a double but really doesn't want to spend $10000 on a gun, yes. The PH that uses his gun maybe 5 times a year in a close backup at mostly wounded fleeing big animals or really close follow up, maybe if the gun is 100% reliable to go bang everytime. I think lots of PH's would love to have a double but just can't really afford or justify one. This gun will be on my list in 500NE to play with someday. I'm already double poor and have 3 500s but I think this is still a good gun to look at.
One more thing about how accurate they are with the method of regulation used. I have always tried to get my doubles to regulate perfectly at 50 yds and got really upset if they wouldn't shoot into about 2 inches at the distance. I have changed my mind on this. I love getting close and using iron sights. My eyes are getting worse everyday and I grind my teeth thinking about having to put on my glasses to see the sights. Just get closer! I now think 25 yards is a LONG shot on elephant and buffalo. I would rather be 15 or closer. Now this makes the whole Africa dangerous game thing much more a reality. Some may not want that but I do.
If the Sabatti rifle is 100% reliable then I have no problem shooting an elephant at 10 yards with it.
Oh and one other thing while at SCI show I looked at lots of old doubles and quite a few had flat crowns with the same kick cuts in them.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
bring out the dremel tool and remove some of the rifling on the side of the barrels near the wegde rotflmo

now on the more serius side, that is a good group that can be imporved with a bit of technique, both shooting and reloading technique, next time you shoot try to grab the barrels tighter, possibly move your hand right behind the beaver tail forend and grasp the barrels there, put that hand on the sticks and try again, it might help and it might not Smiler

try norma's 470 NE as well and see how it shoots in your gun

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Oh and one other thing while at SCI show I looked at lots of old doubles and quite a few had flat crowns with the same kick cuts in them.

Sam

English guns ?

Have you seen this before when buying English guns ?

Sorry, I am sceptical that old guns were regulated this way.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by peterdk:
bring out the dremel tool and remove some of the rifling on the side of the barrels near the wegde rotflmo

yuck Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:

Sam

English guns ?

Have you seen this before when buying English guns ?

Sorry, I am sceptical that old guns were regulated this way.

500N, Yes there were a couple of English guns that had flat crowns and may have had a little cut. Could have been regulated later in life, who knows. Several others that were both old and new looked like they were done this way.

Sam

posted Hide Post
I would be surprised if any English doubles were regulated using such a crude method. Perhaps what you are seeing is something else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot my Sabatti on two occassions. On both of those I have been using reloads that came along with the rifle. Thanks Doc.

I have not shot it with sticks or off of bags. I just wanted to get a feel for the gun. As this is the only DR I have ever shot, it handles and points very well.

I look to seeing exactly how it does shoot. From the targets that come with the rifle it is going to be just fine.

You can check me out shooting the rifle on u tube. Seach for elephant cabbage. Do not blame me for the posting my son did it.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h kittle:
I have only shot my Sabatti on two occassions. On both of those I have been using reloads that came along with the rifle. Thanks Doc.

I have not shot it with sticks or off of bags. I just wanted to get a feel for the gun. As this is the only DR I have ever shot, it handles and points very well.

I look to seeing exactly how it does shoot. From the targets that come with the rifle it is going to be just fine.

You can check me out shooting the rifle on u tube. Seach for elephant cabbage. Do not blame me for the posting my son did it.

Lookin' good Mr. Kittle tu2

Here is the link to that Youtube video - but you need to lay on your side to see it properly Big Grin

Killing Deadly Elephant Cabbage

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
If I am reading this right your rifle is crossing that badly using the factory ammo it was regulated with?

I wonder if your ammo was loaded with a different lot of powder than what it was regulated with?

As another posted stated you definitely need to chrono it the next time you get to the range. I am curious what velocity you are getting.

Good luck.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words.

Peter-I was holding the barrels out past the beavertail and yes my hand was laying in the sticks. Thanks for taking the time to write the tips though. I am certain that you are correct that technic needs work.

I currently handload for about twenty different cartriges and will handload for this one also.

The "windflags" remark was a JOKE!

quote:
If I am reading this right your rifle is crossing that badly using the factory ammo it was regulated with?
yes, but it doesn't seem too bad to me, and remember this is the second time EVER for me to shoot a double
I wonder if your ammo was loaded with a different lot of powder than what it was regulated with?
I would bet so as it was regulated in Italy and I bought ammo in Texas

As another posted stated you definitely need to chrono it the next time you get to the range. I am curious what velocity you are getting.
me too, and I'll need the info for load development

Good luck.

Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

500N, Yes there were a couple of English guns that had flat crowns and may have had a little cut. Could have been regulated later in life, who knows. Several others that were both old and new looked like they were done this way.

Sam

Well, I own a few DR's and have owned an dlooked at many more.

I have never seen a crown on an English double that looks "cut".

I know of one DR where the crowns were re cut as it wasn't shooting and it fixed the problem.
The crowns had been damaged.

I just don't believe DR's from the past were regulated by this method - English, German, whatever.

I have also never seen it written down that that is the method it is done in England.

I am happy to stand corrected if you can show me written proof of the above.

Now, I will say this, because you are in the US and you have some shoddy gunsmith's over there, it wouldn't surprise me if things have been stuffed around with by people who don't know.
ie Like re chambering 375 2 1/2" to 375 Fl Mag to increase the value.

Just my HO.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

It looks good to me. So what if they are crossing a couple inches at 50 yards? Doubles are up close and personal guns. At 25 yards it matters not.

And I wouldn't sacrifice bullet velocity to get the "perfect" regulation. Factory loads are already on the low side, and making them even lower is, in my opinion, not a good idea. Energy especially, but obviously KO value also, can get pretty anemic when velocities drop.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, I will say this, because you are in the US and you have some shoddy gunsmith's over there, it wouldn't surprise me if things have been stuffed around with by people who don't know.

tu2

That's what I like ... a trouble maker!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500N,

I didn't say that those crowns I saw were done by English gunmakers! I just said some of the guns had flat crowns and looked like they had some cuts in them. This could have been done later as I said not by the maker. I have seen lots of flat crowns on many doubles over the years and never like seeing that. If the barrels are not crowned properly with at least a chamfer they will be damaged easily.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:

tu2

That's what I like ... a trouble maker!

Will

It's fact. I saw 3 of them at one gun show. Seen others listed on the internet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Thomas Bland 375 NE 2 1/2 years ago from a dealer and when I got the gun I about threw up. It was a wonderful gun that fit me perfectly and when I opened it I realized that it had been rechambered to flanged magnum. The proofs showed it was only proofed for 55 grains cordite. The gun was off face and hook showed damage. I sent it back for a refund. The person that ruined that gun should be shot!

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, one of the one's I saw was a Cogswell & Harrison, one of those crappy plain guns.

It had been fired and was also off the face, maybe even stretched, would have loved to have measured it.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a Thomas Bland 375 NE 2 1/2 years ago from a dealer and when I got the gun I about threw up. It was a wonderful gun that fit me perfectly and when I opened it I realized that it had been rechambered to flanged magnum. The proofs showed it was only proofed for 55 grains cordite. The gun was off face and hook showed damage. I sent it back for a refund. The person that ruined that gun should be shot!

Sam

Sam, 54 grs would be the charge for a 375 Flanged Magnum, 40 grs would be the normal charge for the 375 2 1/2.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will thanks, those are my thoughts also.

As far as the thread hijack........

I don't relaay care how the English guns are done or I would have started a thread about that.

If I had wanted an English gun I most likely would have bought one.

I didn't, I wanted something to take into the field every other year to Africa, to hunt with and kill things with.

I don't want or need a high price status symbol.

And I don't really feel like having a mid-life crisis at the moment.

Not really caring to be a member of the DRSS, too many snobs making the good folks look bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
470 EVANS,

You are right as I remember now the gun had 50 grain proofs that were 5 grains under standard. The gun was reproofed after it was rechambered. It has been many years ago that I got that gun and was wrong in saying it was proofed for 55 grains.

Sam

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
If you are happy then that is all that matters.

If it were me I would take the gun back and have it replaced with one that is regulated. You obviously can shoot well so why not have a gun that works as it is designed. This rifle is not regulated Period! If you ever were to sell it, people will ask about regulation. What are you going to tell them? Just my thoughts. Cabelas will take care of you if you ask them.

Good luck.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
JTEX,

It looks good to me. So what if they are crossing a couple inches at 50 yards? Doubles are up close and personal guns. At 25 yards it matters not.

And I wouldn't sacrifice bullet velocity to get the "perfect" regulation. Factory loads are already on the low side, and making them even lower is, in my opinion, not a good idea. Energy especially, but obviously KO value also, can get pretty anemic when velocities drop.

Will as usual spot on. One thing to add to the mix is Hornady ammo can vary in FPS as much as 50 fps. I chronographed some factory solids today (3"@50y) and I had that much velocity variation. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is very good shooting for your 2nd time out with a double. I have read it many times written by well known writers where they measured the accuracy of a double by the grape fruit or tennis ball minute of an angle standards and your group certainly meets and exceeds these standards.
Enjoy your gun, and put your savings towered your upcoming hunt.

Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malek:
It is very good shooting for your 2nd time out with a double. I have read it many times written by well known writers where they measured the accuracy of a double by the grape fruit or tennis ball minute of an angle standards and your group certainly meets and exceeds these standards.
Enjoy your gun, and put your savings towered your upcoming hunt.

Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Malek

That's grapefruit sized groups where the barrels aren't crossing. If you should decide or need to take a shot that is longer than 50 yds, say PG at 75 or 100 yds maybe because you have the rifle in hand and don't have time to grab another rifle, with a double that is crossing by 2-3" at 50 yds you will have no business shooting at anything that is farther away than that as the crossing gets worse the farther out the bullets travel. By the logic of some on this thread why should any double be properly regulated if it will shoot into 6 inches or so at 50 yds crossing or not? I don't agree with that sentiment, sorry.

If I were JTex I would get a chronograph, a pound of IMR-4831, a box of Woodleigh 500gr softs, and work my way up in 1/2gr increments from about 102.0 or 103.0 grains until the barrels come together at what should be about 106.0 or so grains. If that didn't work I would try RL-15 and if that still didn't work I would be talking to Cabelas about a replacement or a refund.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JTEX,

Will

I disagree with "So what if they are crossing a couple inches at 50 yards? Doubles are up close and personal guns. At 25 yards it matters not."

Not all DR shots are at 25 or 50.

Secondly, why accept second best ?

The gun obviously shoots, it's not going to take much to get it sorted out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think those are acceptable groups for a Sabatti. If you really wanted better you would invest more. You may be able to get it better by adjusting velocity, maybe not. At 50 yards you have a double that shoots pretty good for the price, and you are obviously a good shot.

Have you shot it standing, off-hand. If not do so, and see how your groups pattern. Shoot alot of group from 30-50 yards, that's where most of the shots with a .470 will be made.

If it was a .375, the crossing is definitely no good, as you will use that caliber to get out to 100 yards plus.

The important thing is that you are happy with what you have, possess the confidence in the gun if you really need it to perform, and it meets your budget.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I disagree.

Accepting a double that crosses is like accepting a bolt action
that strings the shots up the target as it warms up.

However, that gun shoots and I think you should be able to
adjust it so it doesn't cross by trying all the usual things.

One of Us
Picture of Jken
posted Hide Post
JTEX: Nice shooting.
We always tries to group this and that, but seldom will the poor b..... that gets hit, feel the two inch difference?

I like to think if you cant smell what you are shooting at, its too far.

A famous mom said: Stupid is, who stupid does.

Posts: 27 | Location: Norway | Registered: 25 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, I disagree.

Accepting a double that crosses is like accepting a bolt action
that strings the shots up the target as it warms up.

However, that gun shoots and I think you should be able to
adjust it so it doesn't cross by trying all the usual things.

+1

The barrels are good and they will shoot. Hopefully, all it will take to dial it in is some good handloads. Factory ammo is too expensive anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread certainly shows who not to buy a DR off and who will readily accept 2nd best as good enough !!! LOL Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This thread certainly shows who not to buy a DR off and who will readily accept 2nd best as good enough !!! LOL Big Grin

500N,

I think I said those groups are acceptable for a Sabbati. I didn't say it was acceptable for any other double rifle maker.

It's not my cup of tea, but to each his own.

I'll be posting some pictures tomorrow, hopefully, of a .470 Merkel and 8x75RS Merkel I shot today with some pretty impressive groups.

That's what I sell. Never sold a Sabatti, probably never will. But if someone is happy with their gun, so be it. I wouldn't want a PH carrying one.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Agreed, but there is no reason to accept a double crossing if it can be fixed by spending some time at the loading bench and the range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks. I just would not accept a DR that crossed like that, Sab or other maker and I don't think others should either.

It is a good group though.

I agree with what cane rat said.

I have 2 Merkel's, both shoot great, one took a bit longer to sort out than the other (partly my fault of changing too many components at once !!! LOL).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said earlier I'm definantly gonna handload for this rifle and see what happens with the crossing........am I worried about it? Not in the least, I have a feeling that any Buff I run into will not notice the crossing even a little bit.

I am anxious to chrony the factory loads and see what I find. I have Hornady bullets and Cutting edge bullets to play with.

As far as second best??????? That would be a HUGE step up for one from Australia, possibly life changing. Cool

All BS aside, I am tickled with this rifle.

And again thanks for the kind words, I'm having quite a bit of fun with this. But what the hell do I know I love Remington 700s too and as everyone knows they are nothing but junk Roll Eyes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

As far as second best??????? That would be a HUGE step up for one from Australia, possibly life changing. Cool

Well let's see, The US followed Australia in Double Rifle's
by quite a few years (apart from a few converts early on in the US) !!!