New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verney-Carron or Heym?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only Heym I've ever fired was a RH rifle so it didnt fit me very well. But I found it to be a very nice rifle and really liked the cocking indicators.
However, when it came time to order a 450/400 I ordered a VC as I just could not justify spending about another $5,000. As far as the VC goes I am a little frustrated at the delivery time as mine was ordered in October and I am still waiting.
As someone who has to save for a couple of years for each double the extra $5K put the Heym out of reach for me.

Off track with this comment, but I still feel the Chapuis 9,3 UGEX is the best double, dollar for dollar being built today.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Yes Snowwolfe, you are off track. Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
quote:
The VC site says their double receivers are forged steel of forged Erbal. Erbal is essentially 7075 aluminum. Just says their barrels are steel, no information whether they are or are not cold hammer forged.

Need to make a few corrections.

The receivers of all SXS double rifles are made of 35 NCD 16 steel.

(Look at page 2 of the PDF catalog)
http://www.verney-carron.us/de...008-DEMAS-GB-web.pdf
From the catalog.....The Azur side by side, created by Paul Demas has a very
high strength forged steel receiver (35 NCD 16) with a
revolutionary design that helps to do away with :
- all shearing when firing thanks to its interior cross brace
and its receiver closed at the front,
- all elongation thanks to its double interior longitudinal
brace giving it considerable solidity.
The use of 35 NCD 16 steel makes it possible to manufacture
fine receivers that absorb very high pressure levels
(5,700 bars) thanks to their triple hooks, their triple recoil
face and their wide (24 mm) and thick (6 mm), flat lock.
It is the strongest type of steel currently used to make
double rifles receivers.

Barrels are button rifled.

Great information. Thanks for the update.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I looked at both, read up on them, and compared prices. To say that one is a Toyota and the other an Hyundai implying a difference in quality is nonsense. Like everything in life VALUE for monies spent is what I look at and of course what the gun looks like as a matter of personal taste. So I asked myself, and my decision was the VC. Given the rather large difference in base costs and what you get, it was a easy decision for me. jorge

Jorge,

I agree, that was a specious analogy. Toyota versus Hyundai is ridiculous, Mercedes versus Lexus or BMW is more accurate. Both are fine guns but, like you, I considered both and came to the same conclusion.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mercedes versus Lexus or BMW

...and the Volvo

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at both, read up on them, and compared prices. To say that one is a Toyota and the other an Hyundai implying a difference in quality is nonsense. Like everything in life VALUE for monies spent is what I look at and of course what the gun looks like as a matter of personal taste. So I asked myself, and my decision was the VC. Given the rather large difference in base costs and what you get, it was a easy decision for me. jorge

And how did the "Value for Monies spent" philosophy work out for you with your first double rifle? You spent the better part of 3 months trying to tell everyone here how stupid we are for spending more than $6000 on a double rifle. Every day we saw photos of new targets and heard you talk about how much of a bargain the Sabatti is. Then the folks who actually know what they are talking about put the guns through the ringer and what happened? You go Radio silent and sell your beloved “Value” double. Regardless of what Auto maker relates best to the VC, they appear to be fine guns. I shot several, took them apart, and looked at them in detail. I think those who choose to buy them will be very happy with their decision….but they are not proven like the Heym. Only time in the field can allow that to happen. So for now, sit back and learn Pollywog, it may prevent you from eating your shoes again!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am a new member of the forum, at the recommendation of a friend, I have joined. To the issue regarding Verney-Carron verses Heym I may be able to shed some light. My view is somewhat jaded, as I am on my 4th V.C.
For me the VC's shoot very well, even as a left-hand shooter, shooting right hand guns, I have taken many Vintager awards; including setting two course records(2008 & 2010).http://blog.verney-carron.com/Blog/USA-Vintagers-Side-by-Side-Competition To date my VC 450x400 3" has over 4200 rounds through it. In a word, it is "tight". The top lever is still off to one side indicating many many thousands to come. This rifle has come with me to Africa twice, taken elephant and many plains game with zero failures. My best guess on a reface job for this rifle, around 10,000 rounds, maybe longer if well maintained.
My newest VC landed this spring, a custom built, left hand 450 3 1/4". It is artfully engraved in the English tradition with a long list of options. 380 rounds to date, zero failures, but then none are expected.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Welcome Josh!

I remember hearing about your rifle from Ken shortly after I bought mine a couple of years ago. Glad to hear it is still going strong.

Andy

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by south paw:
To date my VC 450x400 3" has over 4200 rounds through it. In a word, it is "tight". The top lever is still off to one side indicating many many thousands to come. This rifle has come with me to Africa twice, taken elephant and many plains game with zero failures.

Good morning south paw,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear that your Verney-Carron 450/400 is still tight after over 4,200 rounds. Congratulations on the new addition and on your successes at Vintagers.

Stay well and thanks again,

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
quote:

And how did the "Value for Monies spent" philosophy work out for you with your first double rifle? You spent the better part of 3 months trying to tell everyone here how stupid we are for spending more than $6000 on a double rifle. Every day we saw photos of new targets and heard you talk about how much of a bargain the Sabatti is. Then the folks who actually know what they are talking about put the guns through the ringer and what happened? You go Radio silent and sell your beloved “Value” double. Regardless of what Auto maker relates best to the VC, they appear to be fine guns. I shot several, took them apart, and looked at them in detail. I think those who choose to buy them will be very happy with their decision….but they are not proven like the Heym. Only time in the field can allow that to happen. So for now, sit back and learn Pollywog, it may prevent you from eating your shoes again!

Now you don't think I'm going to let that sit and not respond. Please show me the post where I said where I called anybody "stupid" in regards to the subject at hand? The reason I went "silent" is because I grew weary of the bullshit that goes on here that no matter what anyone says or does--or buys--, somebody always loves to pick flyshit out of pepper and find fault with whatever rifle one chooses as evidenced by the near-lynching the Merkel folks got here when that rifle first came into the scene. Sure I learned, learned a lot including the Sabbati is a good value entry gun when properly regulated as others have been. Moreover, I didn't sell my double (don't mind you picking out my pecadillos just as long as you keep it FACTUAL) I RETURNED it to Cabelas because I was not happy with regulation process, something that BTW, I LEARNED here, which also led me to the VC purchase. The Sabbati was purchased AFTER I spoke with the likes of JJ at Champlin so I guess that "pollywog" gave me bad advice huh? So yes I learned a lot here but like always, one has to sift through the BS and the cork snifters and as evidenced by my recent purchase, it was obviously an experience you failed to capture.. Me a Pollywog? Fraid not. USS America CV-66 Indian Ocean, 1989.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by south paw:
I am a new member of the forum, at the recommendation of a friend, I have joined. To the issue regarding Verney-Carron verses Heym I may be able to shed some light. My view is somewhat jaded, as I am on my 4th V.C.
For me the VC's shoot very well, even as a left-hand shooter, shooting right hand guns, I have taken many Vintager awards; including setting two course records(2008 & 2010).http://blog.verney-carron.com/Blog/USA-Vintagers-Side-by-Side-Competition To date my VC 450x400 3" has over 4200 rounds through it. In a word, it is "tight". The top lever is still off to one side indicating many many thousands to come. This rifle has come with me to Africa twice, taken elephant and many plains game with zero failures. My best guess on a reface job for this rifle, around 10,000 rounds, maybe longer if well maintained.
My newest VC landed this spring, a custom built, left hand 450 3 1/4". It is artfully engraved in the English tradition with a long list of options. 380 rounds to date, zero failures, but then none are expected.

Welcome to AR Josh! I look forward to seeing you again in September at the Vintagers. beer

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I've been looking around and thinking about joining the ranks of double rifle owners. I think I've narrowed it down to VC or Searcy. This is the thread I'd like to see: VC vs Searcy. I know they are both excellent rifles and are well made by reputable companies. I'd like to hear from owners of each about the pros and cons of each. I don't expect to hear much bad about them, but would like to hear your comments anyway. For me, that Searcy is made in the USA means a lot, but the VC is a great rifle, too. So how about it. Give me your comments. Thanks.

popcorn

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:
This is the thread I'd like to see: VC vs Searcy.

popcorn

Not me. We have some potential Alien V. Predator action going here: Pollywog V Corksniffer.

popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:
Interesting thread. I've been looking around and thinking about joining the ranks of double rifle owners. I think I've narrowed it down to VC or Searcy. This is the thread I'd like to see: VC vs Searcy. I know they are both excellent rifles and are well made by reputable companies. I'd like to hear from owners of each about the pros and cons of each. I don't expect to hear much bad about them, but would like to hear your comments anyway. For me, that Searcy is made in the USA means a lot, but the VC is a great rifle, too. So how about it. Give me your comments. Thanks.

popcorn

I would suggest giving Ken Buch at Kebco a call as a first step.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
This whole discussion had reminded me what a great deal a Krieghoff or a Merkel is!!

tu2

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
This whole discussion had reminded me what a great deal a Krieghoff or a Merkel is!!

tu2

Drop the net! space

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

tu2

That's good. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the starting price for a VC in 9.3 or smaller?

While we're at it, what ranges for the single shots?

Thank you.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Since all the aforementioned doubles are inferior to my Baikal, what was the question.
hammering
sofa

Cheers
Nitro
Big Grin

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nitro450exp:
Since all the aforementioned doubles ar inferior to my Baikal, what was the question.
hammering
sofa

Cheers
Nitro
Big Grin

You might be onto something. I have never seen any double rifle as accurate as my Baikal 30-06. But that is about the only thing good about it compared to a "real" doubleSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd pay for a hunt before I'd buy one, but I have to say, that holland and the purdey are tits delicious man. the heym just under the purdey also has great engraving.

If only I could win the lottery

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote