New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Chapuis gets blood!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I gave my bull a quick off hand double tap with my iron sighted Chapuis 9,3x74R shooting Woodleighs 286 grain soft points at about 75 yards. He fell after the second shot then jumped up and ran another 50 yards and stood there and I gave him 2 more in the lungs and then he collasped. My rule is if they are still standing they still get lead! Especially if they are running away from where we have to pack them to! When we gutted and quarted him we discovered all 4 bullets destroyed his lungs, 2 exited and the other 2 were found on the off side under the hide in good shape. Sometimes a big animal like this just doesnt know when he is dead.
The group I was with went 6 for 6 on moose. I estimate we had between 4,500 - 5,000 pounds of moose meat hanging on the meat rack! Mine was only 52 inches wide but he sure will eat good all winterSmiler
If you notice anything weird about the antlers it is because one palm must be sawed in half since we were in the Koyukuk Controlled use area. We traveled approximately 600 miles in each direction via river boat just to access the hunting area.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c148/snowwolfe/chapuis.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c148/snowwolfe/PB.jpg

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
WTG, SW

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wow! Great story, and thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that moose. Well done.

Like you I shoot until I know the job is done, bullets are cheap.

Question?
Why do you have to cut one of the palms off?

Please explain, just curious.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska Fish and Game decided to implement this to discourage trophy hunting if you do not draw a tag for this area.
If we would of been lucky enough to draw a tag from this area we would not have to cut one palm. Without a tag F&G considers it subsistence hunting and therefor the palm must be cut.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, great hunt and it's not dead till its down and dead..Great shooting...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoever makes up some of them rules should be flogged.
Oh well a little glue, or even better the horns mounted, with the cut off palm on a seperate plaque, next to a framed copy of "the Rule"...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wished glue would fix it. F&G keeps the cut off palmFrowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Wished glue would fix it. F&G keeps the cut off palmFrowner

Those BASTARDS. shocker

Still... good work with the 9,3 Chapuis.

The more you use it the more you will like it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great moose!!
I wish I had one in my freezer for the winter. Moose are good eating.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a hunt. Snowwolfe, you must have a good feeling to have the freezer filled with such a lovely little double. No flies on the 9,3. By the way, were you able to recover any of the Woodleighs?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16425 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, two of them. One was pretty beat up but still intact and the other was a classic mushroom. Lost both before I had a chance to weigh them but suspect they held about 75-85% of there original weight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is a plaster/fiberglass duplicate out of the

question? [like in Africa on elephant tusks]

Great hunt and bull. I'd love a nice moose...

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote