Find
Notify
Tools

My first Double!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Ok, The snap caps are done and waiting for the nylon.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
AKman:
Be careful of premature ejection (or extraction).
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Like premature ejectulation? jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Like premature ejectulation? jumping

Wink

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaman11:
Well, its here! I love it and cant wait to shoot it! Its real tight while closing, is this common? The top latch seems like its not coming over to the 6 o'clock position. I want to get some snap caps where I can check the triggers.

Congratulations; Very pretty, love the wood, did it come with a target and how did it shoot?

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Yes it should be a little stiff when new. And the top lever should not come back to exactly '6 o'clock" when new. That way it has room to wear in as time goes by.

You might think about getting the Chapuis factory twist on scope mounts. They fit right into the slots that look to be cut into your rib.

A scoped 9,3x74R can do anything a scoped 375H&H bolt rifle can do, in the hunting fields, in my experience[ not opinion, my experience], of course.

I concur with everything said here.

Yes, it will be stiff at first until it wears in from shooting.

The Recknagel swivel scope mounts work very well on these rifles. That's what I have on mine and they return to zero each and every time without fail.

I agree that the scoped 9.3X74R is up to 375H&H bolt work in the field. I took a male lion with mine this past year but also took grysbuck and warthog at more than 100 yards. If you get it regulated properly, the scope will make it a truly versatile weapon. One bit of caution however, these are very light guns so mounting the scope may or may not severely affect the recoil arc of the gun, thereby really playing havoc on regulation. Some guys have had no problem at all adding a scope to this gun but I had a hell of a time getting it sorted out. If you do run into issues, don't give up and keep trying new load combinations until you find what works. It will be worth it in the end.

Congrats on your new rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Yes it should be a little stiff when new. And the top lever should not come back to exactly '6 o'clock" when new. That way it has room to wear in as time goes by.

You might think about getting the Chapuis factory twist on scope mounts. They fit right into the slots that look to be cut into your rib.

A scoped 9,3x74R can do anything a scoped 375H&H bolt rifle can do, in the hunting fields, in my experience[ not opinion, my experience], of course.

I concur with everything said here.

Yes, it will be stiff at first until it wears in from shooting.

The Recknagel swivel scope mounts work very well on these rifles. That's what I have on mine and they return to zero each and every time without fail.

I agree that the scoped 9.3X74R is up to 375H&H bolt work in the field. I took a male lion with mine this past year but also took grysbuck and warthog at more than 100 yards. If you get it regulated properly, the scope will make it a truly versatile weapon. One bit of caution however, these are very light guns so mounting the scope may or may not severely affect the recoil arc of the gun, thereby really playing havoc on regulation. Some guys have had no problem at all adding a scope to this gun but I had a hell of a time getting it sorted out. If you do run into issues, don't give up and keep trying new load combinations until you find what works. It will be worth it in the end.

Congrats on your new rifle.

Thanks for the advise, I'm still in the purest aspects of double rifles. I just cant bring my self to putting a scope on it. I might put a DR Optics or a Trijicon RMR or it. I just want to learn to shoot it first and make the final decision later on. I just so happy to have the rifle!

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote