THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    meaning of ton's / square inch.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

meaning of ton's / square inch.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Exactly what does 4.3 t.p.s.i. translate into in psi? Does the 4.3 t.p.s.i translate to long ton= 2240 or the short ton 2000.

2240 X 4.3 = 9632 psi?

2000 X 4,3 = 8600 psi?

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
els,

In the late 1800's the British measured rifle service pressure by compressing a copper cylinder axially and measured the degree of compression in tons per square inch. This method was called the Base Copper Crusher method. You may be able to search this for more detail.

I don't believe you can directly convert this method to pounds per square inch by a multiplier.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
els, Long tonnes.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
els:

In what context did you see the reference to "4.3 tpsi"? At this pressure level, this is either LUP (lead crusher) or PSI (transducer), which are not readily convertible. Yes, it's long tons.

BaseCUP has nothing to do with it.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greame's book Shooting The English Double Rifle. In the paradox section.Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a pressure set up to measure base pressure the way it was originally done. I'll bet that with a Oeler (spelling) piezo pressure testing system some of the machinist types could figure a way to do it.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
els,

It makes no difference what context you saw the reference. It is a unit of measurement. It is originally measured in copper cylinder compression. Neither LUP nor PSI has anything to do with it.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh! And what about CUP?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

What is CUP and how do you relate CUP to TPSI?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
Greame's book Shooting The English Double Rifle. In the paradox section.

Thanks, I thought so. This is lead crusher. Like everyone else, the British standardized on lead units of pressure for shotgun applications (which includes paradoxes) because lead crushers provided a more accurate measurement at the low pressures involved. Also like everyone else, because lead crusher measurements weren't reliable at higher pressures, the British standardized on copper crushers to measure the pressures of rifle cartridges. The British differed here in that they used copper crushers to measure bolt thrust (BaseCUP), instead of chamber pressure (CUP) like everyone else did.

To answer your question, as well as Peter's, LUP and CUP are different yardsticks used to measure the same thing, depending on pressure level, as PSI, but they're crusher methods as opposed to a piezo electric transducer. As such, neither are readily convertable to PSI, because their relationships to PSI are not constant across all pressure ranges. BaseCUP (the long time standard for British rifle cartridges) isn't related to LUP, CUP or PSI, as it measures something different entirely.
-----------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
els,

It makes no difference what context you saw the reference. It is a unit of measurement. It is originally measured in copper cylinder compression. Neither LUP nor PSI has anything to do with it.

troll donttroll

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Careful, 400, Bullwinkle is armed with a book and perceptions:

quote:
Posted 10 Feb, 4:23 PM
Also, I have read Graeme Wright's work Shooting the British Double Rifle and here again my perception was adjusting barrel loads for accuracy.

And he is an authority on double rifles even though Bullwinkle says
quote:
Posted 12 Feb, 11:30 AM
Bill,

I don't have a double rifle.

Just be glad that Bullwinkle does not jest, and is not one to argue
quote:
Posted 20 Apr, 11:22 PM
Bulldog563 and others,

No. I'm not kidding with you....

No. I'm not argumentative.

Bullwinkle is SERIOUS! He owns a BOOK! He has PERCEPTIONS! And, Bullwinkle don't PLAY!

If you are not careful, he will get down with his bad self and call you a CRONY! HAH!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
If you are not careful, he will get down with his bad self and call you a CRONY! HAH!

shocker YIKES! You don't think that he would (gulp) accuse me of being "pompous, arrogant, and condescending" do you? Ah don't think Ah could bear it. CRYBABY
-----------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Careful now. Bullwinkle does not kid.

He lists his location as:

He could be lurking near you in a pine grove.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
lup - lead unit of pressure - shotgun use
CUP - copper unit of pressure - rifles
PSI - absolute measurement of pressure
Strain gauge - inferred measurement of pressure

there is no "fixed" way of converting CUP to PSI, though they are more or less the same at 28K, and about 6500 Different at 55kcup =about 62,500 PSI, and 44Kcup is about 50kpsi.

there is a CATCH though, on shotguns, as for a time those were not measured in the chamber, rather some distance ahead, according to Ellis Brown.

4.3tonnes (note: NOT ton) is slightly less than 9.6K psi

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote