New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leather Recoil Pad Covers??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to send my Merkel 500NE to JJ this week so he can add a recoil pad, mercury recoil reducer, and change the sights.

Their web site says they will cover the recoil pad with leather for an additional $295. It sounds like it would look nice, but I have never seen it. Has anyone had this done or have any pictures of an example?

Thanks

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
I am going to send my Merkel 500NE to JJ this week so he can add a recoil pad, mercury recoil reducer, and change the sights.

Their web site says they will cover the recoil pad with leather for an additional $295. It sounds like it would look nice, but I have never seen it. Has anyone had this done or have any pictures of an example?

Thanks

I haven't had any success in posting pictures, so I cannot help you there.
I can tell you it is an unnecessary way to spend money, BUT they sure are nice when done and classy looking too!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
They are usually done in pigskin.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Guy,

Thanks for the picture. I really like that look; I'm probably going to have them go ahead and do it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They can be a catch 22. Less likely to snag any clothing on the mount. When it is cool out, more likely to want to slip and slide when you are trying to shoot precicely. When it is hot, and you have been perspiring, all the positive is reinforced and the negative disapears.

At least this is my experience with leather covered pad on a DR.

JPK
Editted to point out that you don't have to be dripping with sweat for the slipping to disapear. Just a warm day when you would be be getting moist with a decently paced walk. Gee, kinda like tracking or stalking.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both my 450/400 and my 450 No2 doubles have leather covered pads done by Champlins. I have shot and hunted with these rifles quite a bit. Both rifles have been in the rain a few times.
The 450/400 has been in several HARD rains in Montana and Alaska.
The leather pads have held up very well. I have not noticed any bad or negative factors to them.... Other than the price.
I like them.

I treat them with Filson boot oil, and wax them with Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK

A friend over here in the U.K had leather pads fitted to his 3 Purdey doubles in .300H&H; .375H&H and .577 N.E, in the two larger calibres both wich had a reasonable degree of drop on the stock, keeping the heel pad in the shoulder on firing was a real headache, more so with the .577, that thing would slide all over the place.

If used regularly and rested o nthe floor of a landcruiser, they soon scuff up and no longer look just as pristine, but in that stae they are infineitely more usable as they grip the shoulder a little better and are less likely to slide at the least suitable moment

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Bah humbug.... just put a good rubber pad on it... save your money for post-safari club entertainment.... or buying rounds at the gun club when you come to houston...

beer

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jonathan Tomlinson,

Thanks for the tip. Last winter I was sorely tempted to take out some 100 grit or even 80 grit sand paper and acheive instant grip. I couldn't bring myself to do it and held off and by spring, when the weather had turned, the problem went away. I'm going to look at the pad on my rifle tommorow and see how much wear might have contributed to diminishing the issue.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have double with, and without leather coverings, and I prefere the red "SILVERS" uncovered recoil pads on my Double rifles. I f you want one done properly, send it to JJ at Champlin's. I've seen Tony's, and 400 Nitro's, and they are first class! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470CapstickA2:
Bah humbug.... just put a good rubber pad on it... save your money for post-safari club entertainment.... or buying rounds at the gun club when you come to houston...

beer

You've been spending too much time with Bill; he said the same thing this morning. He told me I was pissing away $300; I told him I had already pissed away $8k on the rifle, so in the grand scheme of things $300 was just a drop in the bucket. hammering

Of course, that was the money I had budgeted for my bar tab at Sharkeys in August, so you guys may have to cover me there if you don't mind. cheers