THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Does anyone have an exact double as a secondary? text
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have an exact double as a secondary? text
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I currently have a Chapuis 9.3X74R as my "A No.1 do it all double" and have an opportunity to purchase another one EXACTLY like the one I currently have....would it be weird if I picked it up as a "secondary" rifle? Has anyone hunted (or even owned) an exact double rifle as his primary piece?

Posts: 31 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
You can leave one in Africa and You will not have to worry about traveling with a rifle!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
matched pairs were all the rage until the prices went thru the roof some time back. Personally, I think it would be just really cool.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not do it. If it is way under priced buy it and sell it for profit.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with it till you try to take both thru So. Africa and run afoul of the rules.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
what zim said.. i understand that you can't take two rifles of the same caliber, for some damn reason, to RSA

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two! Go for it. I would just like to get one without selling off a child.
John

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanofdbls:
I currently have a Chapuis 9.3X74R as my "A No.1 do it all double" and have an opportunity to purchase another one EXACTLY like the one I currently have....would it be weird if I picked it up as a "secondary" rifle? Has anyone hunted (or even owned) an exact double rifle as his primary piece?

I suppose you could use both, one with a scope mounted, and the other bare, any place other than RSA! However, IMO that is a waste of money, and what does make sence to me is, a pair of double rifle of the same make chambered for different cartridges. I have a pair that are for that exact purpose. They are a pair of Merkels a 140-2, 470NE, and a 140E, 9.3X74R. They are the same in every respect except for weight, and chambering, and each has it's own real purpose, but both will be able take the place of the other in a pinch, though each is much better in it's own niche, however! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Nothing wrong with it till you try to take both thru So. Africa and run afoul of the rules.

Maybe they think you are going to be arming terrorist, well healed terrorist. beer
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned exact duplicates of guns in the past and while it is "cool" at first it gets old fast. I find that I greatly prefer having something different.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There is a very good reason to have 2 identical doubles. You'll have to buy the book. Smiler

But maybe not for the plainsgame hunt.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
There is a very good reason to have 2 identical doubles. You'll have to buy the book. Smiler

Taylor was an advocate of a pair of identical double rifles, and in his time it was a great advantage to an ivory hunter! In two ways it was desireable. One was he always had a loader behind him, loading and handing him loaded rifles, so he could kill as many from a herd as he could before the confusion deminished. The other was he only had to hual only one type of ammo and in the likelyhood of one of his rifles breaking, he still had one, and all the ammo would work in it.

Today, however, it is not only impracticle, but illegal in RSA, a fact that wouldn't have bothered John Taylor, because he only abided by the laws that suited him. Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've never owned an exact pair of doubles at the same time. I have, however, owned several exact pairs of magazine rifles. And, from them I "THINK" maybe I learned one or two things to be cautious about, regardless of rifle price or maker. Perhaps those caveats might apply to double rifles also.

One of my pairs was a nice set of .275 H&H chambered Holland & Holland magazine rifles (numbered 1 & 2 in inlaid gold, as per what one reads about in books). One of them was deadly accurate and totally reliable with factory loads. The other blew primers and froze the bolt shut almost every shot with ammo from the very same box(es) of factory rounds.

Another pair was a brace of 10.75x68 commercial Mausers. One would feed factory ammo flawlessly. The other would often jam whether operated briskly, slowly, however. Not only that but its cocking piece would sometimes fall on closing the bolt. The Mauser round is not overwhelming in recoil, but it is still unpleasant to have it go off unexpectedly on closing the bolt.

Both rifle sets could likely have had their problems corrected, but I didn't bother. I sold them both to a gun shop in British Columbia.

I guess what I may have learned from that is that rifles which look alike are not necessarily so. It's always nice to have the opportunity to try them BOTH first or to be able to return at least one of the pair for replacement, if it turns out they really aren't completely alike.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Taylor was an advocate of a pair of identical double rifles, and in his time it was a great advantage to an ivory hunter! In two ways it was desireable. One was he always had a loader behind him, loading and handing him loaded rifles, so he could kill as many from a herd as he could before the confusion deminished. The other was he only had to hual only one type of ammo and in the likelyhood of one of his rifles breaking, he still had one, and all the ammo would work in it.

Today, however, it is not only impracticle, but illegal in RSA, a fact that wouldn't have bothered John Taylor, because he only abided by the laws that suited him. Big Grin

Nothing against SA, except for all their stupid guns laws, which of course they initailly ignored the potential, and now real, danger and are eventually facing confiscation, which they will continue to deny, why in the hell would anyone take a double much less two to SA in the first place?

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
At one time I had 2 identical Mdl 70 375's from the Custom Shop. I thought it was the ultimate african battery for a backup rifle to be identical. They both looked, felt,shot and functioned exactly alike. I took the once and didn't have in problems going thru So. Africa on my way to Zim (I usually overnited) but they cautioned me about the same caliber/same rifle rule. Two years later I took what I thought was again the 'perefect' pair, a Mdl 70 375 and a Heym 88B 375. This time I had trouble in So. Africa that did scare me. I tried to explain one was an iron sighted double and the other was a scope sighted bolt gun but he obviously saw that. Since i was only going to be there overnite and would not stopover on my return he was nice enough to give me a 24hr permit (or rather a permit good fo only one day) to get thru So. Africa but said very positively "don't do it again', I haven't. After that I've quit carrying a 'backup' gun I just carry a second rifle to use on other than my primary game. I don't know about most hunters who go to Africa but I personally have never been able to book over one major (meaning higher priced to me) animal per trip and that is what I concentrated on and then spent the rest of my money on less costly animals. I then chose my rifles to match.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
In that case sell me that 375 Heym.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Will,
Sorry it's gone

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I kinda lean in the direction of MacD37 ..... I have two very similar Chapuis' - a 9.3 & a .470. Same characteristics ..... if you're familiar with one, you're familiar with the other. Just a little weight difference .....

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have 2 merkel 470 and 3 merkel 9,3

the trouble is always finding enough competent gunbearers !

plus the guy to carry the 577, just in case

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote