THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Those Crappy Sabatti doubles, again!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those Crappy Sabatti doubles, again!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trapper Tom:
How many rib seperations can be attributed to the ammo and not the gun?

The one's (3 I know of) in Aus, none, they would have been using Woodleigh RN SN
because of the people involved.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AK_Stick:
I disagree, and I do so, because so many other brands make doubles, that regulate both with, and without a scope installed.

As I said, amusing.

The amusing thing is your understanding of double rifles period! Big Grin

Any respected maker will tell you exactly what I and others have already told you, be it H&H, Purdey, Jeffery, or Westley Richards et all.

If a double rifle will shoot with both irons and an added scope it was either regulated with both, or the owner who added the scope after the rifle was regulated is lucky as hell!

The addition of a scope after regulation will always effect the regulation to some extent, and in most cases very negatively! That, my fine friend, is the fault of the buyer, not the maker!

Now compare that to a double rifle that wasn't regulated properly by the maker, and it will not shoot properly with or without the scope, THAT is the FAULT of the MAKER, not the buyer!

I suggest you give JJ at Champlins a call and ask him if what I just said is true. JJ is the most respected double rifle smith in the USA,

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If any of you guys want to buy a Sabatti the Cabelas store in Lone Tree CO had the following in stock as of an hour ago:

470 NE - $3,800
2 - 450/400 - $3,800
2 - 45/70 - $2,100 and change.

When I handled the 470 the sales person told me if I would buy one he would give me a "killer deal" on any of the Sabatti's which indicated to me they would lower the prices even further.

Mac, your the man! I learned a ton from reading your posts.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
The amusing thing is your MISunderstanding of double rifles period! Big Grin

Mac

Sorry, I had to correct what you wrote.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an issue with my first Sabatti, a 500 NE. I gave a detailed report here. My Sabatti 450 NE has been fine. I am partway through load development. So far it likes Hornady 500 RNs (not DGX) best. Doesn't like any Hornady 350 grainers and doesn't like Speer 400s. I would like to try some 500 DGX but I can't find any. Though the rifle was okay with Hornady factory ammo, it didn't like my first effort with 480 DGX. I still need to try 350 and 450 grain TSX--just haven't got to it yet.

Horn 500 RN, H4831SC, 50 yds, iron sights:

UL: 86 grains/1816 fps (ES 140), crossed
LL: 88/1875 (57)
UR: 90/1924 (51)
LR: 92/1982 (48)

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nice looking set of targets.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by afp:
I had an issue with my first Sabatti, a 500 NE. I gave a detailed report here. My Sabatti 450 NE has been fine. I am partway through load development. So far it likes Hornady 500 RNs (not DGX) best. Doesn't like any Hornady 350 grainers and doesn't like Speer 400s. I would like to try some 500 DGX but I can't find any. Though the rifle was okay with Hornady factory ammo, it didn't like my first effort with 480 DGX. I still need to try 350 and 450 grain TSX--just haven't got to it yet.

Horn 500 RN, H4831SC, 50 yds, iron sights:

UL: 86 grains/1816 fps (ES 140), crossed
LL: 88/1875 (57)
UR: 90/1924 (51)
LR: 92/1982 (48)

I certainly looks as if you hit the jackpot with the 450NE Sabatti! Congratulations beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't they a nice set of targets.
You couldn't ask for much more, except
being able to shoot multiple bullet weights.

I have found if a gun is a stable shooter,
it often does allow playing around with success.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I am still figuring all this out. I think loading for a double is as challenging as finding a good load for a 1000 yd BR rifle. After all, it's like taking two break action single shot rifles, then finding ONE load that both rifles shoot to the same POI with iron sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got it in one.

Whatever issues you have with a bolt gun,
double it for a DR and some even say
quadruple it !!!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
MV a bit on the low side?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by afp:
Thanks guys. I am still figuring all this out. I think loading for a double is as challenging as finding a good load for a 1000 yd BR rifle. After all, it's like taking two break action single shot rifles, then finding ONE load that both rifles shoot to the same POI with iron sights.

................. jumping

You are exactly correct! You would not believe the number of good double rifles I've bought at dirt prices over the years because someone new to doubles thought they had bought a lemon that just wouldn't shoot with their hopped up loads!

In every case it just needed to be hand-loaded properly!

....................... Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I haven't finished working through this 500 gr Horn RN load. Right now it's in between. To fast for a light load but too slow for a full throttle load. At best, this will be a low cost practice load. This bullet isn't a DG bullet. It just happens to be the first load that shows promise.