THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Best O/U Double rifle in a legal buffalo caliber for under $15000
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best O/U Double rifle in a legal buffalo caliber for under $15000
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
I am trying to find an over and under double rifle in a caliber from 375 to 45 that I can mount a scope on.

I had a line on a O/U 458, but it sold.

Ideally it would be a 450/400, 450 NE or 470 NE.

Goal is under $20,000 but ideally under $15,000.

Any ideas?

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep! I have a Blaser S2 in .470 Nitro that has all brand new wood AND brand new barrels, compliments of Blaser. It comes with a Schmidt & Bender 1.1 x 4 and the Blaser mount. Only a small mark on the metal on the right hand side. Other than that, it is a new rifle. If you are interested, PM me.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
MOA, with all due respect, must it be an O/U shocker. If there is a specific need for personal reasons, I understand. If you buy one, you better like it alot as you will have it for a long time. Wink

Regards

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Champlins has a very nice Francotte O/U in 475 #2 for $17,500, complete with claw mounts and scope. I'd change the scope to a modern one, but the gun looks great. Go to GunsInternational.com and put "Francotte" in the Search Box in the top left. I'll bet he'd do $15K on it....had it a while.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MOA

You mayhave a hard time finding a O/U double rifle in an elphant calibre.

Most of the elephant guns are side by sides.

I would reconnend you take a look a a Heym SXS in the PH model.

You can get in the popular calibres from 450/400 3" up to 500 Nitro.

If I remember correctly they go for 17,000, right or left hand, stocked to fit.

Take a look at Snowwolfe's gun, I do think he had a wood upgrade.

Contact new_guy he is the Importer for Heym

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
MOA

You mayhave a hard time finding a O/U double rifle in an elphant calibre.

Most of the elephant guns are side by sides.

I would reconnend you take a look a a Heym SXS in the PH model.

You can get in the popular calibres from 450/400 3" up to 500 Nitro.

If I remember correctly they go for 17,000, right or left hand, stocked to fit.

Take a look at Snowwolf's gun, I do think he had a wood upgrade.

Contact new_guy he is the Importer for Heym

Agree with everything you said except the wood is not an upgrade. All I can say is if Heym offered this type of wood as "stock" the upgrade would make a grown man cry.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MOA, while you're at Guns International, put "Borovnik" into the search box as well. Russ Gould (AR Member) has a 458 O/U for $10,750, and there's a couple more. The one that Connecticut Shotgun shows for $26,500 is a rifle I used to own. It was part of a pair, with gold animals all over them.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://members.gunsinternation...cfm?gun_id=100234515

Verney-Carron 450-400, O/U, NIB, with German pivot bases factory installed, $9800

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Why O/U when you can buy a SXS for that price?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, my first question, and last is also, WHY on earth, would anyone want an over-under when you can get a great side by side for the same price? And if you say you like them, hold off buying until that feelings goes away, as it will.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
OK:

I must really be missing somthing here. Why all the negative waves regarding the o/u? Aside from having to open the gun a little farther to eject the cartridge from the bottom barrel, and having to sight down only one barrel, I see no diference between the o/u and the sxs.

Regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
OK:

I must really be missing somthing here. Why all the negative waves regarding the o/u? Aside from having to open the gun a little farther to eject the cartridge from the bottom barrel, and having to sight down only one barrel, I see no diference between the o/u and the sxs.

Regards,

Carpediem

Mac, are you around? popcorn

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I knew this was going to happen, ask a question about over under double rifles get beat to death about them.

AR cause and effect, some things never change.

I have owned a Blaser S-2 in 9.3x74R, and when I lived in Europe I used to borrow a O/U Merkel double rifle, it just felt better.

I know Heym makes the M55 in any caliber you want. That would work for me. Trouble is finding one bigger than 375 for my price!

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym 55B in 375 H&H with a scope and nice case on gunsamerica for $9,000.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/999...er_Double_Rifle.htm#

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There are several O/U 9.3X75R on Guns America. A real great deal would be to find a Valmet/Tikka 412 with a set of 9.3 barrels. That will get the job done and you can save the rest of the money for trophy fees! Just my opine.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Rusty! I have said Tikka 412SD in 9.3x74R (not for sale!), and I love the gun.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Biebs:
Champlins has a very nice Francotte O/U in 475 #2 for $17,500, complete with claw mounts and scope.QUOTE]

Yep, you would be hard pressed to find a better big bore O/U rifle than this one.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
MOA the Heym 55B would be my choice in an O/U double rifle, and the one in that link is a bargain for that rifle. In my case however, I would rather have it chambered for 450NE but if the 375 is to your liking that rifle is a bargain, and is a quality item.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not knowing anything about the original questioner's experience with DRs, I would not want anyone to jump into a Double Rifle purchase before he or she does all the research on what is available, what is traditional, and what is used by most DG hunters. I have seen people end up with high dollar stuff that are hard to get rid of later, in guns, cars, houses, and women, (oh, wait, that was me) and once they learn the difference, they regret it because they didn't do their homework. And I, and everyone I know who owns and shoots DRs, have side by sides. If someone wants one, he should have it. But he should check out all the options first. Having said all that, I am sure that Mr MOA has done his homework. Just trying to save someone grief down the road.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
I knew this was going to happen, ask a question about over under double rifles get beat to death about them.

AR cause and effect, some things never change.

I have owned a Blaser S-2 in 9.3x74R, and when I lived in Europe I used to borrow a O/U Merkel double rifle, it just felt better.

I know Heym makes the M55 in any caliber you want. That would work for me. Trouble is finding one bigger than 375 for my price!

Agreed - typical. If you feel more comfortable with the O/U, buy and enjoy it. I'm still waiting for the account of an O/U double getting somebody injured or killed because it was an O/U.

BTW, you'd really blow some tops off over here if you get one in 458 WM. Yikes.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
If you prefer the O/U then BUY IT! It is your rifle, not ours. Having (very happily) purchased a Sabatti, I too am frequently looked upon as a leper but my rifle makes me happy and I HAVE KILLED AN ELEPHANT with it! Nuff said.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I could give a crap less what anyone else shoots, I have always liked O/U double rifles better.

I have shot the Krieghoff in 470, Blaser S-2 in 9.3 and 375, an old Brit side lock actioned rifle in some kind of obscure 45 caliber NE, and a Paraguini and Visini in 458.

Just because a O/U M55 Heym isn't the gun of Ruark, Hemingway, Out of Africa, Hatari, Snows of Kilimanjaro and a million other hollywood Africa movies doesn't mean anything.

I am married to a redhead, and it's the second time I have married one. I don't have to prove my insanity to anyone.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am married to a redhead, and it's the second time I have married one. I don't have to prove my insanity to anyone.

rotflmo

Good one MOA. If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tuff! Good luck with your decision. Smiler

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MOA, many of the current O/U double rifles stop at 9.3x74R, or maybe 375 H&H for some. If the ones listed above don't interest you, might have to search a bit more.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
quote:

rotflmo

Good one MOA. If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tuff! Good luck with your decision. Smiler

I had to upgade a 1970 model for a 1979 model, works like champ!

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
This looks like a solid gun, great caliber, from a good maker, at a fair price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=298903311

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
This looks like a solid gun, great caliber, from a good maker, at a fair price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=298903311

Ed

I think this is one of Ken's - maybe same one posted above (Kebco)? Agree that it is a nice one.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
He also has another V-C in 9.3X74R
V-C9.3X74R

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I don't like the VC over and unders they look like a Beretta 686.

While I like the 686, I want something that I paid $10,000 for to stand out a bit.

Heym or a used Merkel is winning the race so far. Can't to get back to Merica and do some shopping.

It's my retirement gift after all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unlike some makers, V-C will make a gun look anyway you like even changing the shape of the frame, adding a boss style forarm, your engraving pastern, sights, stocked anyway you like it, etc.
Look at this one at the link below, looks very different than the case colored gun on GI
http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/3041082771

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MOA, I purchased an O/U .470 Dumoulin as a stop gap while my S/S was being built. I took it to Africa and shot a Buff with it. There is nothing wrong with an O/U double. I paid GBP4000 for it and sold it 2 years later for the same price. If you have the time wait till the next Holts auction, if you haven´t email me and I will try to find out who the buyer was and if he will sell, getting some scope mounts on it shouldn´t be too big a deal, best, Mike

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis makes a nice O/U Double Rifle in a .450/400 and .375. Someone here on the forum had a .450/400 at one time and Kebco has a nice .375 on his site for sale.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MOA, new_guy had a Heym Mod 55 in 450/400 for sale one time, and it was a sweet handling double.

Of all the big bore O/U doubles I have handled I liked it the best by far.

I even thought about getting it to go with my Heym O/U in 30/30.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
MOA:

If you prefer and O/U, I say buy an O/U. The Verney-Carron listed above by Kebco looks like a dandy. Chapuis builds and O/U as well. If you are interested in a Chapuis, contact Daly Nygaard. Here is the link:

http://www.heirloomarmes.com/chapuis_pop.htm

You can usually pick up and O/U cheaper than a S/S and you can usually pick up a Chapuis for less than a Verney-Carron. I have a couple of Chapuis S/S rifles and I think they are a great gun for the money.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Not knowing anything about the original questioner's experience with DRs, I would not want anyone to jump into a Double Rifle purchase before he or she does all the research on what is available, what is traditional, and what is used by most DG hunters. I have seen people end up with high dollar stuff that are hard to get rid of later, in guns, cars, houses, and women, (oh, wait, that was me) and once they learn the difference, they regret it because they didn't do their homework. And I, and everyone I know who owns and shoots DRs, have side by sides. If someone wants one, he should have it. But he should check out all the options first. Having said all that, I am sure that Mr MOA has done his homework. Just trying to save someone grief down the road.

I just have to gently disagree with you here. I just can't see anything wrong with a quality O/U double rifle even for dangerous game. They have the added advantage of being much less costly than a double in the same caliber. I would love to have a little O/U 30-30, 7x57, or 8x57 and sure can't see anything wrong with a nice light 450/450 O/U either.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is a reason they aren't more available or common; there is limited demand. (in the larger calibers; plenty of Valmets etc around in small cals) I don't like them and I am not alone. But if you want one, you should certainly have one. I didn't say there was anything wrong with them; just that the majority of DR users want side by sides. Sort of like beavertail forearms; nothing actually wrong with them as long as you hold your hands around the barrels, but they look wrong.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I guess I prefer the "look" of a splinter forearm as well but there are some really fine doubles with a beavertail forearms. Dollar for dollar, I don't think you can get a better double that a Chapuis but you can't order a Chapuis with a splinter forearm. I know. I tried but trust me, they are great guns for the money.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs
That over under you bought with all the great engraving was one of the best gun deals you ever pulled off.
Oh did I mention I FOUND IT FOR YOU.
One thing about my Bailey Bradshaw nobody can compare it to anything since I have only the second one of its kind in the world as far as I know.
Must be something said for over and unders seems like all the major companies make one.
Have fun buy what you want if you don't like it someone will buy it.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
Must be something said for over and unders seems like all the major companies make one.
Have fun buy what you want if you don't like it someone will buy it.
Larry

Elk, if you will notice very few of the over under double rifles are built in chamberings bigger than 9.3X74R or 375 H&H! There is a reason for that fact! Almost all hunters of large animals that tend to be life threatening if wounded simply want a side by side double. There is a reason for that as well, the larger the cartridge the harder the O/U is to reload quickly.

Of the companies who do make large chambered O/U double rifles one rarely sees those in chamberings larger than 450NE, but most in that bore size are also chambered for another no! no! a 458 Win Mag. However for those who want a large bore O/U double rifle my pick would be a Heym in a large bore rimmed cartridge over about any other brand!

I have and have had both types over the years and I like the ones for small bore cartridges scoped for hunting deer and such, but when we get serious for the bite backs, give me a side by side with a rimmed NE cartridge!

…………………………………………………………………………………….. tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote