THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    monometal solids in double rifles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

monometal solids in double rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Litespeed:
I recon this discussion could go on forever, and in the end there is no correct answer Confused

I have owned three Krieghoffs so far, and for me there is three important reasons: I can carry it "loaded" but absolutely safe, the trigger pull is amazing compared to other doubles, and the stock on the Big Five model fits me like a glove! Like many other I dream of and old classic double from a famous English maker, but i recon my wallet is not that deep Frowner

As I said I would probably use Barnes if available, and the maker and dealer have both confirmed for me that it is OK. It might be foolish, but someone has to makes the mistakes that other learn from Wink

I am looking forward to test the 500 myself. First chance are in september, but then only for PG. Someone might think 500NE is a bit much for most PG, but I think it must be perfect Wink

Big holes in the right place are always better than smaller holes in the same places, and you are going to put BIG holes in game!

On trigger pulls, its true that many doubles have abominable trigger pulls, but that is correctable.

A Ph I hunt with quite a bit truly loves his Kreighoff. The cocking mechanism is second nature to him, and so of no concern whatsoever. He has been known to shoot Barnes expanding bullets in his rifles on occasion, though he uses Woodleigh solids. No harm so far.

FWIW, your letter or email is signed by the author as for Kreighoff, and that is Kreighoff's take on the subject, and not just his. Couldn't ask for more, I think.

Butch Searcy apparently doesn't care, from what I've been told.

But I'm with Mac on the subject, and can't figure out why would anyone shoot a Barnes when there are others that offer all of its performance and more, without any risk.

Good luck and good fun on you hunt!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Barnes are not the bullet for doubles. There grooves are too far apart.

Swifts A Frames are questionalble as well. Some makers say go ahead, but few.

North Fork and GS Custom are driving band bullets with many thin driving bands spaced close, but sufficiently far apart that there is room between the bands to accomodate all displaced material. The shanks of both the NF and GSC are under land diameter, and so so not engrave - and do not cuase stress on the ither the barrels or the ribs.

Barnes shanks engrave, and this is the issue.

GS Custom garuntees to repair your rifle should their bullets damage it. That is quite a garuntee and reflects their confidence in their product, imo.

I think Woodleigh solids are harder on doubles than NF's or GSC's and Eoodlreigh softs the easiest on barrels.

JPK

Barrel groove and land diameters vary considerably and you should be careful that indeed the bullet shank diameter is less than the barrel land diameter. NF's are the only ones I have seen that were indeed so. But that was true for my doubles and not necessarily universally true.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Ard:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Litespeed:
I might bring old news to you, but I got a little lost in the discussion between JPK and Ard Wink Anyway... I have owned a couple of doubles, but then mostly new ones. I am currently waiting for a Krieghoff in 500NE. I used to own one in 375H&H and asked Krieghoff aboutt using Barnes Banded Solids, since I had good experience with them in my bolt action. Part of their answer to me is listed below. For me that answer is good enough, and I will use the Barnes solids if they shoot well in my rifle.

"I would not hesitate to use them if you have good success and they are
grouping in your Double.
Best regards and I keep my fingers crossed for your Buff-Hunt.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Steinmetz for
H.Krieghoff GmbH

Finally, something from Krieghoff!

Regardless of what one employee of one rifle maker says, I personally would not use them in a rifle of mine. That employee may be in for some concern for his possition when someone sends them a rifle with the barrels seperated from the ribs, along with a copy of that letter from Mr. Steinmetz! Big Grin

quote:
Hi dave,

I throw myself upon my own sword regarding the wordiness. Guilty as charged. I'll try to keep a tight lid on it for awhile.

Regarding your .500 Kriegoff, I have always wanted to try that cartridge, as well as some others from the old ivory hunting years, just out of curiosity.
"Pondoro" Taylor wrote of the .500 Jeffery Mauser cartridge as having no appreciable recoil. I'd have to see that to believe it. By the way, my favorite PH likes the Kriegoff cocking feature, that way his so armed client can carry the rifle loaded and he does not have to worry quite as much about them stumbling along behind him. He tells me he is constantly amazed how many clients show up with little or no experience on the rifle they bring for their first trip to his neck of the woods. I guess some guys are just wanting to kill things and are not much interested in rifles and cartridges. I don't get that but, whatever.

Well any way,
Cheers.
Ard.

The combi-cocker on the Krieghoff rifle is fine, and is about as safe to carry fully loaded as any rifle can be, However, the fact is many believe the Blaser combi-cocking system is the same system, and it is definitely not!

The K-gun re-cocks it's self when broken open for a re-loading after the rifle has been fired. All one has to do is close the rifle and fire the next two. This is another safety feature that is absent on the Blaser. The Blaser must be re-cocked if the barrels are opened for any reason, and this feature is not correctable, without a total re-designing of the combi-cocking system on the Blaser.

As far as the mono-metal solids, or so-called X-bullet with solid shanks, and without the pressure rings, like those on the GS Customs, or North Fork CPS, or FPS, are not worth the risk with any double rifle, new or old! The benefit derived from a solid without properly designed pressure rings is simply not sufficient reason to take the risk, if any benefit exists at all. Too many good solids and good quality controlled expanding bullets are available, without the risk involved. Others may do as it suits them, but I simply do not see the thought process of someone risking a barrel set for one bullet type! You may get by with it till you don't get by with it, and that may be when you need the rifle the most. Eeker

Hello MacD37,

I agree with you on not wanting to risk my muzzels and rib solder against whatever the latest trendy bullet of the day is, grooved/banded or otherwise, especially on my approx 100 years old, more expensive rifle. Again, from all I've read and listened to, there's not likely a race of super buffalo (probably no Mastadons left either) out there that cannot be taken cleanly with properly made and properly placed old fashioned bullets weighing about 500 grains and striking at around 2100+ FPS/close range. Why risk a valuable rifle, not to mention, why risk an expensive trip over seas (my luck the muzzels would let go in the bush). I also agree with your thoughts on the Kriegoff cocking mechanism. Never have been drawn in by anything Blazer makes thus far and it seems they are getting even more whacky with their designs each day. Tis a shame they're using up all that fine walnut on their bizzare contraptions. Oh well, I guess one man's bread is another man's poison.
Cheers,
Ard,

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ard,

If you want the absolute minimum stress on your barrels, ribs joints, etc, then you would choose a North Fork cup point for buff.

But for elephants, you would want to use the North Fork flat nose.

Easier on your rifle than any other choice.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ard,

If you want the absolute minimum stress on your barrels, ribs joints, etc, then you would choose a North Fork cup point for buff.

But for elephants, you would want to use the North Fork flat nose.

Easier on your rifle than any other choice.

JPK

JPK,

Thank you but, are NF necessarily easier on barrel joints/solder than Woodleigh Weldcore or Hndy Interlock? I can see where NF would POSSIBLY be easier on barrel joints than newest Hndy DGS and DGX, as the DG jackets look very "sturdy"/made of rather thick steel and covered with softer alloy. Not sure yet if my substantial supply of Interlocks are steel jacket or not. I'll have to place a magnet against them to discover. If they are, I likely will search no further as they are very accurate to say the least in both my doubles.

Would like to get the double rifle thing out of my blood as they are beyond my retired Gov't worker income league but cannot seem to divorce myself completely from them. My largest SxS rifle/.Army & Navy .450#2 Nitro, (favorite one) is soon to let the air out of buffalo, eland, waterbok and a few others next time. Only been.....you know....."over there" three times so far and confess to using Mausers two out of the three trips. Readily admit to being a disgusting amateur when it comes to African hunting and/or double rifle use for same.

Thanks again for your input. I am learning very much from you and others like you in this forum.

Out.
Ard.

Posts: 68 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 14 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ard,

There is no radial compression required of the North Forks. Or the GS Customs either. All other bullets require radial compression. With the requirement for radial compression comes radial expansion of the barrel. That is the mechanism by which jointing is flexed and may (will, eventually?) come loose.

Woodleigh softs and Hornaday softs are not unduly hard on barrels, but in my opinion, nothing is easier on a barrel or joints than a true driving band bullet, of which I am aware of only two NF's and GSC's.

BTW, the Hornaday softs Interlocks do not thave a steel jacket, only the fist generation Hornaday round nose solids have the steel jacket and a round nose. Te subsequent round nose, non steel jacketed solids are the ones you want to avoid. And the magnet check is the way to do that.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ard,

There is no radial compression required of the North Forks. Or the GS Customs either. All other bullets require radial compression. With the requirement for radial compression comes radial expansion of the barrel. That is the mechanism by which jointing is flexed and may (will, eventually?) come loose.

Woodleigh softs and Hornaday softs are not unduly hard on barrels, but in my opinion, nothing is easier on a barrel or joints than a true driving band bullet, of which I am aware of only two NF's and GSC's.

BTW, the Hornaday softs Interlocks do not thave a steel jacket, only the fist generation Hornaday round nose solids have the steel jacket and a round nose. Te subsequent round nose, non steel jacketed solids are the ones you want to avoid. And the magnet check is the way to do that.

JPK

JPK,

Thanks.

Ard.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
While I don't consider myself an expert, I am full time in this business. I have spoken with Merkel USA, Barnes Bullets, Hodgdon powder, Alliant powder, and Superior Custom Ammunition. They all (every one) say that Barnes banded solids are safe and produce less pressure than other copper jacketed bullets. I would think the people who actually do the testing and are doing this for a living would probably not be looking for a lawsuit on a damaged gun or a damaged shooter. Just my thoughts.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not pressure that damages a double rifle in the way we are talking aboit here.

What is the problem is the fact that the barrel "swells up" like a snake swollowing a harboiled egg. This swelling does not hurt the barrel per se, it just "pops" the solder that holds the barrel and ribs together.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also barrel and bullet diameter comes into play here.

Take the case of the 450/400's.

There is a wide variety of barrel diameters from .406 to .412. Land and grove demensions can come into lay as well.

Lets say your 450/400 has a .410 diameter barrel and you shoot .411 diameter Woodleighs, and .408 diameter Barnes X bullets.

Which bullet will swell the barrel more???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I understand what you are refering to Tony, the principal refered to here is correct. I just have a hard time seeing several people who are "in the business" and doing it for a living, giving shooters advise that could harm them or their guns. The liability is on the companies with deeper pockets than me.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have measured the bore and groove diameter of a number of rifles. I have only ever seen two rifles where the bore diameter was under size and they were both relatively new and little used. One is in the shop with me at the moment. I have seen many more rifles where the groove diameter was under size, although the bore may have been on or over spec. Without exeption, every older rifle I have measured, has been on or over the CIP / SAAMI on the bore diameter. It is obviously easier to get the bore diameter right than what it is to get the groove diameter on spec.

Take the 450/400 as an example: CIP states that the bore is .400" and the groove diameter is .410". Our standard bullets for both 450/400 calibers are therefore .400" on the shank and .4102" on the drive bands. There is no chance that the shaft of the bullet can be anything but correct or under size for the land to land diameter of the rifle. The drive bands are so thin and easy to lay back that, even if the bullet is fired in a .406" groove diameter barrel, the rifling will just push back a little more drive band material into the spaces behind the bands. About 0.0042" worth.

On a bullet with the shank at .408", all the material on the shank from .408" down to bore diameter .400" must be moved as well as the outer diameter of the bullet that must be swaged down to .406".

A mismatch like that with a GSC drive band bullet is of no consequence while, with non drive band bullets, great stress is placed on the barrel wall.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went out and shot about 10 rounds in my 470 today with Woodleigh solids (Federal factory). The outer jackets on these bullets must be pure copper.
They leave quite a bit of copper residue in the grooves of my barrel. The barrel is stoked with a foaming cleaner as I type this.
I am ready to try some Hornady's when they come out.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW when I was working up loads in my (shudder) bolt rifle, the 450 grain North Fork flat point solids were more accurate than 450 grain Barnes TSXs, 450 or 500 grain Barnes banded solids, or 350 grain Hornady soft points.

So maybe there are some other advantages with the driving band concept.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.