THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New Double Heym 26 B, the Schwarzkittel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Double Heym 26 B, the Schwarzkittel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I helped new Guy in the Heym booth at SCI in Reno.

Two of the rifles he had there on display were Hyem O/U 26 B's. One the standard model in 9,3x74R. I had shot one of these a few years ago and liked it. It is very light and short [@22" barrel].

However it was the second 26B that caught my eye, the Schwarzkittel.

This is a new edition of the Model 26B.

It differs in that the receiver is Black, and the stock is laminated.
It has the same 22" barrel, single trigger and the top of the receiver is cut for a QD two lever scope mount. The rifle is very light and sweet handling.

However, it is the calibre that really won me over, it is a 30-30 Eeker. Thats right 30-30.

At this size and weight, and in 30-30 it would be the perfect deer and wild pig gun for where I hunt in Texas, as well as for Black Bear over bait in Idaho.

The double is regulated for Federal 170 RN.

I was able to shoot this rifle at 25 and 75 yards with the iron sights, with the exception of one shot I pulled the upper and lower barrels never printed over 2" apart, usually hitting just over one inch apart.

I have also bought some other factory 30-30 loads and will be testing them shortly.

I want a light weight scope for this rifle and mounted the only suitable scope I have that is not already on another rifle, a Leupold M 8 4X Compact.

This may be the perfect deer, wild pig gun, short, light, low recoil, cheap to shoot, get ammo anywhere, fun double.

The iron sights are high viz , red/orange front bead with a high viz bright green insert in the pyramid shaped rear leaf.

The scope mount as previsouly stated is QD.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another sale for Chris!

Those Heyms do handle nicely.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about some pictures? What do these cost (general price range)?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The standard 26B is @$5500.00 if I remember correctly. The Schwarzkittel is $4000.

I am computer challenged when it comes to pictures.
The fit & finish, blue, and barrel soldering is of very high quality. Typical Heym workmanship.

I plan on taking it to the range next week to zero the scope and test different ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Took the Schwarzkittel to the range today.The rifle paperwork shows the double was regulated at 80 meters, with scope using Federal 170gr RN 30-30 factory ammo.

I had bought several boxes of this and sighted in the 4x scope at 100 yards.

The rifle was fired off the bench using front bags, resting the back of my wrist on the bags. no rear bags were used. I had the front bags "piled" up so I was in a high sitting position.

For my final zero I had the bottom barrel hitting 1 to 1.5" high and the top barrel hits 1 to 1.5" low. Left and right is within 1/2 inch.

Then I tested the double with the following ammo.

Federal 170gr Nosler Partition
Winchester 170gr Silvertip
Winchester 170gr Power Point
Hornady 160gr FTX LeverRevolution
Federal 150gr FP [I have had this ammo for over 10 years].

To make a long story short the bottom barrel, as sighted in, hits from 1 to 2.5" high, the top barrel hits from on zero to 2.5" low, with all the ammo tested using the same scope zero. [Except for the 150gr ammo].
So no matter what ammo used you never hit farther away from poing of aim than 2.5" at 100 yards.

Federal 170gr RN, Hornady 160FTX, and Winchester 170 Silvertip, shoots onto a 2 to 3" verticle group at 100 yards. They group slightly better than the other ammo tested at 100 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The individual barrel groups were very good, usually with in one inch, never farther than 1.5".

The rifle shot so good, I could not resist, I had to try 200 yards.

Leaving the scope as set for the 100 yard firing I shot at 200 with the following results.

With the bottom barrel;

Federal 170 Nosler Partition 2" low. Two rounds fired .
Hornady 160 FTX 2.5" low.
Federal 170 RN 3 1/4" low.

The combined group of all 4 shots above at 200 yards is 2.5".

The top barrel hits 12 inches below point of aim with the 170gr bullets.

The Hornady 160 FTX from the top barrel hits 5" low at 200 yards.

The Hornady 160 FTX looks like the load for 200 yards, further testing is in order.

The suprise was the Federal 150gr loads. They shot 2 to 2.5" high at 100 from the bottom bbl, with the top barrel dead on.

At 200 yards the bottom barrel shot 2.5" low with the top barrel hitting 5" low. Which means a 3" group at 200 yards.

Now, I do not necessarily consider a 30-30 a 200 yard gun, but considering the shooting position and the 4x scope the little double is not doing too bad.

Should be minute of deer or pig out to 150 yards for sure.

I like the way this rifle handles, it is very light and short. Plus there is almost no recoil.

The scope was removed and replaced, and went back to zero perfectly.

By studying the targets, the tightest group the rifle will fire at 100 yards, is with the Federal 170 RN, or WW 170 Silvertip in the bottom barrel and Hornady 160FTX in the top.

This would cut the total group size, bottom and top barrels, fired together, by an inch to an inch and a half. Not necessary for deer and pig hunting, but intresting none the less.

By using the point of the bottom duplex in the scope I was able to hit the 300 yard steel gong with both bbls with the 150gr Federal load.

Might have to test on paper at 300, just for scientific reasons.

Most of the deer and wild pig hunting/shooting I do is under 100 yards, most of it well under 100.

Can't wait to get the Schwarzkittel in the field.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they beat me to it.. was thinking of lining a 20 or 28 to 30-40, but 30-30 works just fine!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been wanting a double but am a cheapskate. This seems like a double I could actually afford to shoot.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Tony showed us that rifle at Reno.

It was really sweet. And at that price a good value in a rifle.

I like the 30-40 Idea, just for fun and nostalgia.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 677 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can`t understand why they call it Schwarzkittel! That means wild boar! But in Germany the 30/30 is not allowed for huntimg "Schwarzkittel"! The law is asking for 2000joule at 100m and the 30/30 doesn`t reach it!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M-F

As I understand it the Schwarzkittel is avialable in all the same calibres asnthe standard 26 B.

The name Schwarzkettel comes from the fact that the reciever is not engraved, just finished in solid black ie. Black Jacket, which as you know is also a nickname for the wild boar.

The Heym folks just thought the 30-30 would be popular in America for deer and wild pigs, and also a lightweight low recoil double for youth and ladies to use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe and Chopper Guy

While the 30-40 would be a litle increase in power, I do not think the deer, pigs or even a black bear would ever know the difference, and the fact that you can get 30-30 ammo almost anywhere, and at 16 to 21 dollars a box [Hornady Leverrevolution slightly higher] you do not even have to fool with reloading.

Although I probably will reload for it in the future, I will have a lot of empty brass. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say, that there is a much better rimned cartridge than the 30/30 as a offering in the little Heym: the 8x57IRS! Ideal for medium sized game, much more powerfull than the Winchester!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
It would be great if NewGuy could put up some pics of this interesting rig- perhaps for future orders. I like the 30-30 option- great idea..

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna get me a .30-30 double. I bid on one a few years ago (Sauer .30-30/28 ga. O/U) and lost out. Something about insufficient funds for a winning bid...imagine that! I've been looking for one I could afford for quite some time. Hopefully Heym will still be offering this rifle when I finish accumulating the necessary funds. For critters (including elk if you can point it straight {Red Face) )up to 100 yards, the .30-30 is pretty much as effective as any other cartridge. The .30-40 is nostalgic, but not appreciably so over the thutty thutty, at least IMO. I can't imagine a better low cost, low recoil, cast bullet friendly DR than one chambered for the .30-30 (unless it was the .22 hornet or 5.6X52R, and those are maybes). FWIW DuaneB

Chapuis UGEX, 9.3X74R &
7X65R

Posts: 72 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about some pictures?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,
See what happens when you hang out with Chris! Glad to hear it shoots but you will have those people telling you a double can’t shoot 300 yards.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChopperGuy:
Tony showed us that rifle at Reno.

It was really sweet. And at that price a good value in a rifle.

I like the 30-40 Idea, just for fun and nostalgia.

What Mike said, but I like the 30/30 or 7/30 Waters.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote