Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady DGX bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I was wondering what everyone's take is on the new Hornaday Dangerous Game expanding bullet. Although they are expanding bullets, my understanding is that the jacket is copper clad steel. I am concerned about feeding my rifle a steady diet of steel bullets. Wouldn't that be awfully hard on the barrel?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I am feeding them through my 450/400 3 inch. They have a lead core so I'm not overly concerned. They shoot great. I have some for the 404 Jeffery, just haven't loaded them yet.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Rusty, did you get the article yet?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
I was wondering what everyone's take is on the new Hornaday Dangerous Game expanding bullet. Although they are expanding bullets, my understanding is that the jacket is copper clad steel. I am concerned about feeding my rifle a steady diet of steel bullets. Wouldn't that be awfully hard on the barrel?

Dave, my thoughts are the same, less steel the better even though Rusty makes a fine point. I've talked with a few balistics experts in the past who use to work with Winchester and Lyman (in fact one authored Lymans reloading manual) and he said steel jacketed bullets will increase barrel wear. It's still quite subjective to me, how many shots, 100's or 1000's. Personally I'm not too worried about it, we are shooting big bores (at 2100-2300fps) not varmit rifles (at 2800-3400fps) and most if not all of us don't shoot our bigbores more than our varmit rifles. Another thing to take into consideration, all barrels are not created equal, IMO it would take 1000's to ruin a good hammer forged barrel. An exception of this was some years ago when Ruger made the M77 in 458wm which had a bad track record of wearing out barrels very quickly (under 500 rounds) at times.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dave it has not arrived yet, or my wife is hiding it from me? Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i loaded some in my 500 AR, for load dev .. solids were SLOWER than softs, 5 increment loads, every time, by about 30 fps ... solids SLOWER... i know, its normally the other way around, with the same load and OAL.

take off .2-.3 grains from the SOFTS. .. yes, that's backwards than normal, and they should have identical balistics

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

....................NO!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dave the article arrived. Thank you for your kindness!

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Rusty, enjoy! I thought it was a pretty good article. I am going to give try Reloder 15 first but at least in my gun, I wouldn't be concerned about shooting IMR 4831 but I sure understand your concerns using the slower powder in a vintage double.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE