Find
Notify
Tools

The geography exam
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Professor of geography asked on the exam to the student from Oklahoma
- John, tell us what are the characteristics of drought in your state?
- When our rivers dry up, then, then... a shoal of fish going upstream, raises a huge column of dust.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
rotflmo
You got it, Vashper- you've beat the language barrier!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Not yet, not yet, but he's getting much closer! dancing Must be those ESL classes he's taking after hours in Moscow! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, the English language is studied in courses is based on the old BBC tutorial. To the modern American language in which you communicate, the English language has absolutely no relationship. I sometimes asked my friend, who now lives in England, how to translate a particular idiom - he could not always help. "There, beyond the crick, they have their say". My case is more complicated. Here is an example of words and word forms of the Russian language (and each of its color values), which are translated into English as run.

A difficult thing. And if we know that the humor is different: I have one Japanese explained that they do not have the jokes or anecdotes, although they have a sense of humour. What they do with that and how to use - don't know.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vashper, you were on a hot streak, and then you blew it. I'm back to where I started. Say Whaaaaaaat?

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Took a Russian course in the Army. I remembered the two vital phrases if captured: Ya nichnaya nichavo, and Ya hatchu piva. (I know nothing, and I want a beer)

Hippie redneck geezer