THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Humor    This will drive you nuts til the instructions sink in

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
This will drive you nuts til the instructions sink in
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Check out:

http://www.njagyouth.org/colortest.swf

LouisB

Have fun [Razz]

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
good one. [Cool]

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
It is known as the stroop-effect, when we automatically read the text instead of concentrating on the actual colour. I always let my students do this, they get very frustrated! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
For me the trick was not to focus on the word but to look of a portion of the last letter in the word.

Mort Canard

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Curious, I had no problems with it at all? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am the Master! But I read Marterius's post first. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003
one of us
posted Hide Post
100% on the first time but it's still a mind bender.

Posts: 62 | Location: SF East Bay Area - California | Registered: 20 October 2003
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mort Canard:
For me the trick was not to focus on the word but to look of a portion of the last letter in the word.

Mort Canard

That is the best strategy!

Actually, I will let my fresh students do this next Tuesday when I start a new course. My favorite trick with them however, is to suddenly whack a 1 meter long fiberglass ruler in a table, and then tell them that they have just experienced an orientation-reaction. I then explain the psychological and physiological phenomena of the orientations-reaction and there is no need to ask about it in the examination as they never will forget it. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

No one, as far as I know, has yet shit themselves during that lecture, but I have to admit that it is a risk...
[Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
maybe I am color blind............?

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was above average on the first try. Then I remembered something I read about split-brain people. These are patients who have had the corpus callosum severed (a bunch of nerves that connects the two halves of their brain). I think this is done to control a particularly bad seizure disorder.

Anyway, they have one hell of a time coordinating motor function and speech with visual stimuli, because of how each function (and each eye) is wired to either half of the brain. They or their doctors learned a trick that informs both halves of the brain what the individual has decided to do. I used that trick and got 100% on the test.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marterius...
Can you tell me why I flinch my eyes when I am in close proximity to a very loud noise that is repeated over and over, such as a double-acting diesel-fired hammer pounding away at a bridge pile or something like that? The hammer is at a distance but not too far away, I am certain deep within my mind that it is not a threat or danger to my person, yet I flinch when it fires the driver head up and down. Any ideas or comments?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a retired air traffic controller, I'm already nuts, what is your point? [Razz]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
Marterius...
Can you tell me why I flinch my eyes when I am in close proximity to a very loud noise that is repeated over and over, such as a double-acting diesel-fired hammer pounding away at a bridge pile or something like that? The hammer is at a distance but not too far away, I am certain deep within my mind that it is not a threat or danger to my person, yet I flinch when it fires the driver head up and down. Any ideas or comments?

Spontaneously I should say that you are consciously aware that there is no treat, but your nervous system still react as if there could be. It is the same as moving your finger fast towards your eye: you will blink, despite the fact that you know that you would not hit yourself in the eye. I guess it is the same as flinching when you shoot a heavy caliber rifle. I am sure there are more elaborate theoretical models for this, but this is not my own area - my own area is cognitive psychology and in particular some aspects of planning and decision making.