New
Find
Notify
Tools

A message to the moon
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I remembered this and to this day don't know if it's a true story or just a joke but I hope you like it)

During preparations for a trip to the moon, NASA had people in the countryside of an American state because some areas closely resembled what NASA thought would be the landscape of the moon.

Thus it happened that some NASA astronaut candidates encountered an old Indian and his son who were shepherding a flock of sheep. The son understood immediately what the NASA people were doing and was very interested. He explained to his old grandfather about the astronauts and their proposed mission to the moon. The grandfather spoke no English but expressed interest in sending a message to any inhabitants of the moon.

Some NASA public relations types saw an opportunity for some good publicity.

A mike was put in front of the old Indian's face and he was invited to send his message.

The old Indian spoke rapidly in his language.

The old Indian's grandson was asked to translate. He smiled - but refused.

NASA

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By one of the inexplicable mysteries (to me) of the internet, I was cut off in the previous joke.

To continue - NASA next asked the Indian Tribal Council to translate. They listened - and laughed - but refused to translate.

Finally NASA got hold of a Government translator who listened to the tape.

He reported that the old Indian had said: " Watch out for these guys. They have come to steal your land".

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap clap clap

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote