Find
Notify
Tools

Canoe question....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:

I am thinking I want to buy a canoe and small four stroke motor, maybe a Honda. Any recommendations? Osage makes a slender 16' aluminum with square stern. I was thinking of a Honda 5 hp. Is that too much?

Thanks,

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
I have an old Grumman 'Sport Canoe' which unfortunately is no longer produced but this is the most usable boat/canoe/vessel I have ever owned. I power mine with an old 4hp Merc - I think the plate says 6hp is max. This thing is 15' 3" long and will haul a heck of a load!
i have used it duck hunting with another hunter, a big Chessie and all of our gear with no problems. Not a white water craft but it works in an average river, on the lake or what have you.

Also this thing can be paddled, rowed, sailed or powered with an outboard. Can't think of anything else that works so well so many different ways.
I don't think you could go wrong with a square stern and a small outboard.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that a Scanoe? My cousin has one and it is pretty handy. Doesn't need more than a 4hp though.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Unless you are on very large lakes or planning on taking multi day trips up and down river systems, I think you'll find an engine on a canoe makes a light handy crafty less handy. A good lightweight canoe doesn't need an engine, and is easy to paddle many miles a day.

Also the squared off "scanoes" take more effort to paddle than a conventional double ender canoe. For less than the price of an inexpensive canoe and an outboard, you can buy the finest lightest kevlar canoe, and IMHO you'll be much happier.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
You did not say exactly how you planned to use the rig so are getting the opinions of those of us that use a rig "our way".

My trusty little 15'6" aluminum can scoots right along with 3.5 horse 2 stroke motor.
That said I have a "power pack" that I use when I don't want to paddle. The power pack is a 30 lb thrust trolling motor mounted on plywood mounts that also has a depth finder mounted and the thing mounts to the two thwarts. Since I am usually in the canoe by myself when I have it powered, the battery sits under the front seat. 40 pound thrust would be better in some instances but 30 will work except against strong current. Battery life has never been an issue in one day excursions. I have attempted to get info on the real draw/battery life from battery mfg and motor mfg with NO response. At least the motor company could give a current draw at each setting and then I could get a guesstimate of time on the battery.

I mount rods and tackle box to the "power pack" which keeps them handy and safe.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input gentlemen.

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote