New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ice Fishing has started
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The next best thing to hunting is ice fishing. Living where I do, where it is winter
for 7 months of the year, it is good to get out and do something. Although I like all
fishing, ice fishing is at or near the top of my list.

Made it out to one of our small Utah lakes in Northern Utah. We took my sons girlfriend to
this location as its easy fishing and easy to get to. Between 5 of us, we caught about 120
fish in 4 hours. We released all but 3 of them. They were not very big but still a fun time.

We are going to try another lake that holds bigger fish (tiger trout, cutthroat, and rainbow).

Does anyone else on here ice fish?

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ice fish quite a bit. I fish Wyoming and Colorado targeting lake trout, walleye, trout, catfish, crappie and yellow perch. In Wyoming we are allowed 6 lines in some lakes through the ice, but 2 lines open water. I like using Jaw Jackers through the ice they have a high hooking rate. Wyoming law, you have to be within 300 yards from your rods.

Posts: 322 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Nope. Not much ice on the Gulf of Mexico or the pond behind my house. Of course it was 80 degrees yesterday so that may have something to do with no ice…"..I’m fishing for grouper tomorrow and Saturday.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rondo: Great, we are switching (adding) jaw jackets to our equipment. One ends up getting so much gear it makes it almost like a camping trip at times.
We switched over to an electric auger a few years back and it’s been amazing to drill 60 or more holes off of one charge. The fish flasher is another item that’s really helped.

Jdollar: I might give up ice fishing for 80 degree temps ha ha…

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It was only 76 today…..

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
It was only 76 today…..

75 here in SC! I was at the gun range in shorts.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
It was only 76 today…..

75 here in SC! I was at the gun range in shorts.

I guess we will try to get even here, in July Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in southern Wisconsin and love ice fishing! Mostly panfish (bluegills, perch and crappies) but also set out tip-ups for walleyes, northern and bass.
This year the ice is very late in getting here, though I expect to be able to get out within a week. Good thing bow season for whitetails is still open!

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdirks:
I live in southern Wisconsin and love ice fishing! Mostly panfish (bluegills, perch and crappies) but also set out tip-ups for walleyes, northern and bass.
This year the ice is very late in getting here, though I expect to be able to get out within a week. Good thing bow season for whitetails is still open!

Great! Contrary to last year, our some of our smaller lakes are just getting ice. This, I believe might be one of the latest years I’ve seen in the past 30 years.

We are headed to Flaming Gorge for Macs and maybe a burbot, this coming Saturday.

I’ve never caught a walleye. I want to start planning a few out of state trips to try for them.