Find
Notify
Tools

Worlds Best Fishing in February?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I'm going to have some time off in February. Where should I think about going fishing and get out of the snow?

I love it all, but especially tarpon, dorado, roosterfish and large rainbows.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Costa Rica. tarpon on the east coast and dorado, roosters on the west coast. it is really easy to fish both sides and only loose 1 day in the middle of the trip on a 10-14 day trip. if interested, i can give you the names of the 2 lodges i use.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13159 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Please do.

I fished Costa Rica two years ago, primarily for sailfish. It was great.

I was concerned about the east coast for tarpon due to wind that time of year, but I really don't know.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i fished twice out of Casa Mar for tarpon and Crocodile Bay for the west coast species. i was there in April and June, so I can't comment about Feb. but the travel dept. at Bob Marriot's Flyfishing in Irvine CA. can easily arrange a trip to either or both, as well as advise you on what to expect in Feb. also both lodges have a nice website with fishing calenders on them. be aware that Crocodile Bay is very upscale compared to Casa Mar, but both offer superb fishing. google Bob Marriot's for thier website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's true, Costa Rica and other Caribbean destinations can be great. But it's hard to beat South Florida. Depending on weather patterns we have outstanding backcountry fishing in Everglades National Park.
There are huge, super finicky bonefish in Biscayne Bay. Sailfish can be incredible. Big dorado are around. Key West has great yellowfin tuna and the list goes on and on.

It's something to consider.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For tarpon, Miami's Government Cut and Key West are good places. You might even get some big ones on fly in Whitewater Bay if the weather's right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see tarpon cruising everywhere in Key West in March. Going back agaain this year.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys, I didn't realize the tarpon fishing was any good that time of year in the keys.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
check the weather shortly before you leave. if south Fla. gets a cold spell ( not that rare in Feb/March), all bets are off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right,jdollar, but three days later all bets are back on. In the meantime, you can fish the Cut and have a good chance at some lunkers.
I have no stake and don't guide anymore, but I'll be happy to make a referral, SBT.

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
If you are interested in tarpon or bill fish...

Do a search for Angling in Angola.

You might be pleasantly surprised...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I thought everybody went to Mauritius for marlin fishing in February and March.

http://www.sportfisher.com/intro.htm

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I thought everybody went to Mauritius for marlin fishing in February and March.

http://www.sportfisher.com/intro.htm
not if they live in Wyoming, USA.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Well, I retired in February, but backed away from the fishing. I decided to go to Arizona and hunt quail for the first week, and had a grand time. Then I spent the rest of the month hunting mountain lions and killed a magnificent Tom.

Now its back to work so I can pay for a trip to Mauritius!