Notify
Tools

Guyana fishing trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted
Hey Fellas -

Got back from Guyana about 10 days ago. Trip was good, lots of Peacocks, Payara and smaller catfish.

For some reason, the oversized heavies weren’t on the bite. I’m still without a Jau.

However, I checked the Arapaima box off with a 75 and a brute at 210. I’ll put some pictures up when I get a chance.

Trip was 100% acceptable and met my expectations as to food, fishing, accommodations and logistics. I’d go again.

And to those that have fished the Jatapu in Brazil, looks identical.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3407 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting side note on the trip.

We didn’t know the reason, but when arriving at Georgetown, Guyana, customs inspected all out stuff. Never had that happen, anywhere in the world.

We were obviously fisherman.

When we chartered to the River everything was fine, but coming back into Georgetown, we had to go back through the customs/immigration process, on a domestic charter.

Come to find out, Venezuela has claimed 2/3 of Guyana and has voted to annex it. The disputed territory was exactly where we were fishing. The Essequibo River.

https://www.inewsguyana.com/wh...wo-thirds-of-guyana/

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3407 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Maduro is making a lot of noise about invading Guyana and seizing the Essequibo region.. sounds a lot like Putin…

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt the Chinese and Russians would back Venezuela.

If we're not careful we could turn this into the Political Forum.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few pictures. I am terrible at taking the time for pictures. I found over the years that folks really don't care to see them. I have a mental image of the picture and that's good enough for me.

These Arapaima are "fish of a lifetime", so they hold a special place. They are an air breathing fish. Its all catch and release. They are relatively endangered.

In fact; They are illegal to even catch in Brazil. They are highly prized for their flesh.

The first picture is a Barba Chata catfish, a bit odd, fight well for size.

pictures 2.3 and 4 are Arapaima. I caught one around ~75 and the bigger one at a L x G x G weight of 210. Ralphs was 175.

Last shot is representative of the Peacocks here. That spot was our first fishing day and the first spot. I caught 5 fish on my first 5 casts of the trip there.

Formerly "Nganga"

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool trip... where does one fly into and out of on a trip to Guyana?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Cool trip... where does one fly into and out of on a trip to Guyana?

Georgetown. It's a 4.5 hour flight from Miami. Pretty easy trip.

Airport was fast to get through. The planes and customs are FULL of Exxon employee's coming and going.

Formerly "Nganga"