THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NATURAL WORLD FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stopping shot suggestions on this...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Seems most of the replies opine the direct stopping shot would be iffy on this animal. With the next level of weaponry (HE, AMR's et) being necessary for safety.

I think it would be sporting to take it on with normal shoulder fired bigbores though.

A lot like taking elephant etc back in the blackpowder/cast lead days. Possibility of multiple shots, lots of running and hiding.

Less gun reliance and more 'hunter participation'

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

You have not been visting the Africa Hunting forum enough

The objective is to remove all danger and a preferred outcome is that there is no charge. In fact many posters on the African forum say they hope they will never experience anything going wrong and that is one reason for Controlled Round Feed and NO 45/70s

My guess is that if this animal reappeared on earth then current gun/calibre technology would mean that an "ethical" hunt could not be done

But the best of today's rifle's for this animal would be a bench style rifle in 270 through to 300 for a brain shot. Bench style because they sit much steadier from an improvised rest and with the 2 ounce trigger etc and etc. Being reptilian in makeup body shots would be a waste of time. But such a bench style rifle would not be ethical.

In short, this big boy would not be on the hunting list

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Yes I think the culture of safety that has been saving us from ourselves since the bible went out of fashion would require this animal not be attempted.

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<ironbender>
posted
My vote is with Mr Wallace.

End to end; breech loaded!!