New
Find
Notify
Tools

HEDGE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have first hand experience planting an Osage hedge? How many seasons before it's impenetrable to bi-peds?

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
How to Grow

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
How about a nice shrubbery? One that looks nice. And not too expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbtcmjfKa8

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:
How to Grow

Thanks, now all I need is a translator.

Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big-foot:
How about a nice shrubbery? One that looks nice. And not too expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbtcmjfKa8

Brits are INSANE!!

jumping

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:
How to Grow

Thanks, now all I need is a translator.

Big Grin

I guess the point is that it takes several years and a lot of work. 3 strand barbed wire is easier.
One thing the article didn't mention was staking limbs in the ground to take root.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of something ten feet deep and ten feet or taller and dense like Holly. Something that's a visual barrier too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plant bamboo. It will grow really thick and it speads on its own to fill in empty space. May not be able to keep it at 10 ft high, but it works pretty good.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plant bamboo. It will grow really thick and it speads on its own to fill in empty space. May not be able to keep it at 10 ft high, but it works pretty good.

Good Idea but that shit get's out of control. It doesn't have nasty thorns like Osage either. Maybe a combination and cover the whle mess with Kudzu ...

Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jay,

If you are building a compound how about some cactus transplants great and sure get prickley

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Hey Jay,

If you are building a compound how about some cactus transplants great and sure get prickley

SSR

I see it now ...

I say "I want an impenetrable plant barrier year round, so draw the plan with a perimeter consisting of Osgage hedge, Osage Trees, Giant Bamboo, and some bad-ass really prickly cactus. Oh! And I want the whole morass covered with Kudzu".

Landscape architect "Did you want the tank obstacles in the hedge or on this side of the gator filled moat."

jumping