New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hurricane
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Although,I was not in the hurricane,we did have several nerve wracking hours waiting for calls from friends and family who were.My daughter and her family rode out the storm at home in N.Ft.Myers,Fla.They live about 20 miles
south of Punta Gorda where the eye of the storm passed.

Having been in 3 tornados and doing relief work at several tornados and one hurricane.I am astounded at the small number of fatlities occurring during these storms.

My best wishes to all who went through this storm.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat crazy I have family that was in Biloxi when Katrina came through,they rode their wall to the bayou at Black Diamond about 7 miles.Broken bones and a couple hundred stiches but they made it,the children saw school mates and neighborhood kids drown along the way,my nephews little girl was 5,she saw too much and is scarred,hasn't said more than 5 minutes of words since.Glad to hear you were doing relief work in devastated areas.Take care.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We live on St. Thomas, an island in the caribbean, and have experienced several hurricanes during the past 16 years. Our last major hurricane, Marlyin, in 1995, caused massive damage. We were without electricity from 16Sept-24Dec 1995, all our roads were blocked for weeks; one had to travel with your own chainsaw to cut your way through, telephone comms were very sporadic for a month or two.

Now, the only fatalities occured because some boaties decided to ride out the storm on their boats and drowned.

So, when we hear about people, on the mainland, complaining about being without power for a few weeks, and complain about no one helping them, we cannot help but wonder how they would exist here with very limited outside support

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote