Find
Notify
Tools

Got bees?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
I think I've mentioned I had a problem with bees in my hunting blind. When I built it I made a double floor between the blind and the stand.......big mistake! Perfect habitat for the bees.
Today, my buddy and I took the blind down to move to a new lease. When we lowered it ( it's 5 feet off the ground ) and took the blind off the stand, there was this hugh hive in the bottom! The bees didn't bother us, but they were there!
Here's what it looked like:

A closer look

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
What a hive!

Well, one thing for sure, you made some bees happy! (for awhile!)

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Man!

You aught to see some of the red wasp nests we pull out of our blind every year. Never had them infest on the scale of this beehive, but a red wasp nest a foot in diameter with a couple hundred red wasps in plenty!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I guess they weren't africanized...or you'e be hoppin! Expect the blind to be permanently infested. A neighbor of my parents has them in the walls of their (weekend) home. They have tried at least 6 times over 15 years to get them cleaned out. Eventually they come back/reinfest to get the old honeycomb. Short of burning it and starting over, you'll probably not be rid of them.

As long as they aren't bothering you, no big deal, but with all the africanized (killer <snicker>Wink bees in TX I would worry about a gunshot setting off an aggressive response. Good luck!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote