New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy Killdeer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been seeing this killdeer running around acting crippled every time i mow my yard. I know they do that when they have a nest to focus the predators attention away from their nest. I figured it was just practicing. But then someone told me it had a nest out in the driveway. So i was out looking for it but couldn't find it, till this little girl came up and pointed out the three eggs laying in the middle of a shallow depression among the rocks. Here is picture of the eggs and of the killdeer on its gravel nest.

Now i have to put up a barracade so nobody drives in the driveway.

Plinker

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had one nest on our shooting range so we put up a little fence so no one would step on it.It didn't seem to mind the people.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Must be fairly common for them to nest around people, then? ...but it's first time i saw them this close to the house. Put a cinder block in front so nobody will drive over it. Today, another egg.

Plinker

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
I have had 2-3 nesting pairs around my place for years. They almost always nest on my driveway (500' long and gravel)so I usually put a couple of large bricks on either side of the nest a couple of feet away. Cats are especially hard on them, but the ones who survive seem to hang around for quite a while. A very beautiful bird wouldn't you say?

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories. Killdeer used to nest every Spring near a dirt stock tank about a quarter mile from our house out on the ranch where I grew up.

The tank was an attraction for small boys and we spent a lot of time there. The killdeer never failed to try to lure us away when nesting season came along.

I loved country living.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of cats around. Hopefully the chicks will blend in with the surroundings as good as what the eggs do. I'm eager to see if, like ducks, they are able to walk when they are hatched, or if they are helpless like some other birds are. Some types of bird eggs hatch in just 10 or 12 days, so i'll post pics of the babies soon. Thanks for looking at the pic relating your own experiences with this bird. I find it all very interesting.

Plinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on Plinker, you know how to educate kitties! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Yeah....i know. But most of them are owned by lonely widows and small kids.

There IS a big yellow one-eared tom whose days are numbered. It's butt ugly and creepy.

Plinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,actually I was thinking of a barefoot gal running through the snow! But there are other methods. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You lost me, Derf

Plinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Plinker, that must have been Anne! derf

one of us
posted Hide Post
I once worked at a factory in central Maryland that had tar & chip style roofs on it's complex of several buildings. Each roof had at least one pair of nesting killdeer.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote