THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NATURAL WORLD FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Nature, Animals, Space And The Sea  Hop To Forums  The Natural World    Did a comet explode over North America 12,000 years ago?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did a comet explode over North America 12,000 years ago?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Archaeo News article

the more I read and look at the land features around me, the more I'm inclined to think so.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a theory that such a thing happened at that time over the North American ice sheet at the end of the last glaciation. It has been proposed as the event that did in the North American Megafauna and possibly ended the Clovis culture then thriving in North America. It doesn't appear to have left a crater.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to a show I saw the other week it did not leave a crater because it hit the ice sheet supposedly around the northeast part of the country that at that time was about 1.5 miles thick.

The scientists showed a scorched layer of soil that dated to that time above which there was no evidence of mega-fauna or Clovis artifacts.

Pretty interesting show.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I gather it wasn't what we think of as a direct impact. It exploded in the air and hit the earth in thousands of places after it exploded, hence all the high ground bogs and lakes up and down the east coast.

I've got some really good links on my other puter (that's down right now). When my economy picks up, I'll get it fixed. lol

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything I can do to help? I am in the business and have a bunch of parts lying about.

Let me know what you need.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:
Anything I can do to help? I am in the business and have a bunch of parts lying about.

Let me know what you need.

Appreciate the offer. It all started way back when I was tryin to peek at that keyhole video ... and it slowly went south from there. I'll pm you with the details later this weekend and see what you think.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PBS has been running an excellent program on this topic and has an interesting page with a good bit of info;

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/clovis/

You can watch the program online. Smiler