Find
Notify
Tools

Odd colored hummingbird
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I have a strange visitor this year. It is a male ruby throated hummer, he has an all white tail fan and his body plumage is also different. I will try and get more photos and video of him.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a hummingbird with so much white. He's very cute. Maybe he's not a ruby throated hummer. But, I'm not very knowledgable about them and I don't have a hummingbird identification book. He's interesting to say the least.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This appears to be a ruby throated hummer with leucistic feathers. Leucism in birds is analagous to albinism in mammals, where some to all the feathers are white. It's not common in hummers, but it isn't unheard of either. The hummingbird society website collects pictures of them and posts them on the site. Neat photos of an interesting bird. I like it. Nice job!

clap

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think he is leucistic, I believe he is pied (piebald). Leucism is a reduction of color overall, not necessarily to all white though. The local news station posted this photo of a robin a couple of days ago, it is leucistic in my book:

See the entire color reduction over the entire plumage of the bird?

My hummer has individual white feathers PLUS normal feathers which is why I think he is pied.

The photos on the hummingbird website do show a few albino and leucistic birds, but none are like mine.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Hey Ann,

My immediate thought was a pied, also. A common coloration in cockatiels. I have never seen a wild bird with that coloration. Very interesting and a fortunate catch on camera. I am going to forward the pics to a sister who is a Naturalist, Audubon life list birder and bird bander.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know what she thinks, Mary!

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Quite the "find". Congrats on the photo & vid.

I keep trying to claim that birds I can't identify as new species. No success with that approach yet.

+ish walmart hadn't quit selling that feeder.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That feeder was purchased because it was Made in USA! It needs to be refilled again, dang hungry hummers. The females finally arrived and the boys are displaying like crazy. Hope the pied gene passes on.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pictures of albino hummingbirds.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote