Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new to falconry
 Login/Join

posted
I am really new to falconry as a whole and have spent the most part of my free time watching YouTube videos. one thing that keeps coming up is that this sport is a lifestyle change. what does that really mean? what is the day to day operations and real cost? any information or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Posts: 12 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: 22 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're a bit far but one of the best in the world places for watching migrating hawks is Hawk Mtn in eastern PA. They count each of the birds .When in a day you can see 1000 or more of one type of hawk you will be in total amazement !! Eeker That should be on your list.
To get a permit you deal with the state .This takes total commitment as it's a long term project .Once you get the permit you can start raising birds and hunting with then. I don't know the PA rules though.

One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
The USFWS has turned control of falconry over to states that meet or exceed the old USFWS rules (I believe PA qualifies).

You'll neeed:

1) To pass the 200 question written exam at 80%
2) Obtain a sponsor for the first 2 years
3) Build a facility and have it inspected by the state DNR
4) Then & only then can you obtain a permit to trap a wild passage bird or buy a captive bred bird (you'll be limited to one bird on permit for the first 2 years).

Plan on spending $10,000 in the first year or two in facility/gear.

Also plan on driving alot - I'll have put in 20,000 miles in the 2013 season (and I live in one of the best falconry areas in the world).

Finally, plan on 1.5 hours per bird per day on non-hunting days. Up that to 3-4 hours per day on hunting days. (You'll be required to hunt 3-4 days a week for a minimum of 4 months per year in order to keep your license.

Worth it? It is to me. Smiler

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote