New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barn owls
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody ever try and raise a barn owl? Years ago we had huge problems with Barn owls getting into elevated deer hunting blinds in W Texas if window were left open. They create a HUGE mess inside. Many times we would find barn owl chicks inside.
I took one home one time in white fluffy down feathers (I know it is illegal now)but it was better than the alternative. I fed that varmint wet ALPO dog food for about 6-8 weeks in a pen and he grew up just fine but was just meaner than a hornet. I fed him the meat on the end of a coat hanger and never put my hand in his cage without a elbow length heavy leather glove.
I ended up letting him or her go. Just to wild! The chick was very small when we found it.
Are they trainable?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal law is pretty harsh on possession of birds. Owls need MEAT in the diet, as in mice, other birds.

The one you found was probably not abandoned. Momma was probably out looking for food.

You can't train them, because you can't legally possess them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
your owl in the blind reminded me of a tower stand, sides but no top, i hunted from a few times near laredo. on the floor of the blind were literally thousands of small bones. when i was bored i would try to complete a skeleton. those owls are interesting birds.

Posts: 30 | Location: north platte, nebraska | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote