Eagles Revenge !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.knifemakerforums.com/showthread.php?t=1055
I've never seen a raptor win the crow fight but this one is fantastic ! dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was deer hunting one very cold December day about 10 years ago, overlooking a cut corn field. At first light murder of crows descended on the field trying to find a few kernels for breakfast. There was a stand of what we have always called black pines about 100 yards away - you know the ones. About 100 feet tall and so old they kinda look black instead of the usual gray coloring.

Anyway I happened to see an owl fly up there in the top of that old pine when it was just light enough to see. I kinda wondered what it would do with all those crows nearby.

Did not have to wait long. I looked up just in time to see it tip over and begin a dive toward the crows out in the field. One of the crows was sitting on a cut corn stalk about 12 inches off the ground. That owl hit it at about 40 miles an hour. Same effect - just a cloud of black feathers. Never saw so many furious crows in my life.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
That was a great read! Here in downtown Boston, in the sky over where some great American patriots are buried (Granary Burying Ground, Tremont St.) I have seen some crazy battles between a red tailed hawk and a PAIR of peregrine falcons. Never had a camera, but one of these days. Talk about mortal combat!

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
a few years ago(about 20) Frowner A friend and I were enjoying a wonderful spring afternoon in northern minnesota by a local lake.There was some open water,but also still alot of ice.An osprey was flying around ,circleing ,and suddenly dove into the water.It struggled to become airborne again,burdened by a large northern pike,I would say at least 24" long.It had probably gained 50' or so of elevation,when It started to fly erratically,and then dropped the fish,which landed on the ice about 50 yds from us.The osprey beat cheeks away from us. ConfusedWe wondered what was going on,when a Bald Eagle dove on to the scene,snatched up the fish off the ice,flew out a few hundred yards,landed on the ice ,and ate the fish.Pretty damn impressive.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few years ago (about 20), a friend and I were enjoying a wonderful spring afternoon in northern Minnesota by a local lake. There was some open water, but also still a lot of ice. An osprey was flying around, circling, and suddenly dove into the water. It struggled to become airborne again, burdened by a large Northern Pike, I would say at least 24" long. It had probably gained 50' or so of elevation, when it started to fly erratically and then dropped the fish, which landed on the ice about 50 yards from us. The osprey beat cheeks away from us. Confused, we wondered what was going on when a Bald Eagle dove onto the scene, snatched up the fish off the ice, flew out a few hundred yards, landed on the ice and ate the fish. Pretty damn impressive.

I would have loved to see that. Bald Eagles give me shivers just seeing them. They are such graceful, large and powerful birds. They are also beautiful to see in the wild, doing the wild things they do out there. In my not-so-humble opinion, no other country has as its national symbol any animal of such beauty, power, grace and embodiment of Freedom as does our American Bald Eagle. Thanks, jb, for bringing us that story...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Raptors are weird ! A friend in NH told me that the local red tail had taken over a Volvo wagon ! Sitting on the roof rack he chased off anyone who came near ! clap I'll try to get thelatest details tomorrow. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post