New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 WMR accuracy?
 Login/Join

<Kari>
posted
How accurate U.S. ammo is in your rifles? My Chinese cheapo JW-23-rifle spits it out, although it is capable sub-MOA accuracy with RWS HP ammunition.

I've tried Federal 40 gr FMJ:S and Winchester 40 gr FMJ:s & HP:s. 3 - 4" five-shot groups are common at 100 meters.

I've known 22's to be finicky about their ammo, but this Chinese rifle tops them off!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My pair of Anschutz 164M's will both put five CCI Maxi-Mag HPs into a 1/2 to 3/4 inch consistently at 100 yards as long as I do my part.My old Savage Model 24 (22 Magnum over 410 with barrels soderd together-not the newer ones with the barrels apart)with 2 3/4x Redfield will shoot five into an honest inch or a hair less at 100 yards.

------------------
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Marlin 782 22 mag for 17yrs. I have shot every available (american) ammo thru it. Most shoot 1.25-1.5" at 100M. The best and most consistent has been CCI maxi mag. Which shoot sub MOA very consistently.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<KING>
posted
I own a 22Mag. Auto Mag. Pistol. It was tested to only shoot Winchester Brand Mag. ammo. Any one out there know another brand of ammo that burns as clean as Winchester that I can use? It's accurate in the Auto Mag. pistol and my Winchester 9422M Rifle. Any info. would be appreciated!

<Kari>
posted
Talking about US ammo, so far I have tried only Winchester HP:s & FMJ:s and Federal FMJ:s, as i mentioned. Win HP is best of these so far, often couple of shots groups nicely into a tight cluster. But then comes a flier of two.

I got some newer brand of Fed. FMJ:s and CCI 30 grs HP:s in my hands, havent't tried them yet. I hope to locate some more CCI ammo and PMC, Remington...

I've been thinking to pull bullets from the cartridges and mike them, also slugging the barrel with .22 LR bullet and mike that too. There is something, which makes the big difference between Win,Fed vs. RWS ammo! Maybe it is the bullet jacket's softness/hardness, diameter, load or my rifle's rifling twist, groove diameter etc...
The barrel finish is silky-smooth, one of best I've ever seen. Barrel cleaning is easy, no fouling at all. With the right ammo, this rifle is accurate.

[This message has been edited by Kari (edited 11-19-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kari:

My experience is similar to yours. In my Kimber 82, RWS is clearly superior to all others. Winchester is good, while CCI and Federal are only fair. I have not had a chance to try any of the new loadings with Sierras, etc, or the Remington ammo.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Rem 597 Mag shoots like a dream with Winchester Supreme 34 gr hp's, .5" or less at 100 yrds. No other ammo could come close to this, including the Rem V-max round.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Kari>
posted
I shot today some of these newer brands, that I bought last week. I did not have ideal conditions nor enough time, but I found out couple of things. CCI MaxiMag 30 grs HP did not group well, but this newer brand of Federal 40 grs FMJ:s was accurate! As I get the chance to properly testfire it, I shall return to subject. So far it seems that RWS has a competitor...