Notify
Tools

218 Mashburn Bee
 Login/Join

<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Guys
I have just bought (not yet received)
A Greener Martini action 218 Mashburn Bee.
I am researching into this cartridge and would appreciate any information or experience with this cartridge.
Thanks.
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Deafdog,

The end of last year I had Bullberry make me a 10" 218 mashburn barrel for my contender. I'll have to dig up my notes to see what my loads were. For some reason, the accuracy of that barrel was mediocre, so I traded it off. I tried 40 gr balistic tips, 45 gr sierras and 50 gr hornadies. Suitable powders are 2400, H 110, W 296, W 680 (discontinued), AA 1680 and I'm sure a few others. I'd imagine Lil gun would be worth trying.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deafdog,

In 1963 when I was 15 my first centrefire was 218 Imp Bee Martini made by the late Don Black

They were pretty common about that time. Use to use full case of 4740 and 50 Hornady SX.

Those that used them a lot will tell you that they were better on roos than a 222.

The Imp Bee was mainly used because 4740 was a bit slow in the standard Bee. We had the same deal with the 270 Imp because 4831 was a bit slow with 100 grainers in 270 Win.

Mine a bit later was rechambered by Don to 219 Zipper Improved.

You can always tell a Don Black Martini because the scope mounts are figure 8s sweated to the barrel.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Mike
This rifle is by Don Black.
It has a Queensland Maple stock.
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au

<peter37>
posted
Giday how are you?
I am looking for a martini action to build a .218bee. Let us know how you get on with yours.
At the moment I have a .22hornet .222 Rem
6.5x55 mauser and a couple of .22's
I have just started to reload so if any one has any loads for the above using ADI powders.
Well good luck with your bee
Peter

<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Peter
Welcome to the forum.
If you are looking for a 310 martini cadet
I know where to get some if your interested
if you are email me for the details.
I was going to buy a 310 cadet and convert it but found this rifle instead.
I also know of a 310 martini in .222 for sale
with a stainless barrel, a new conversion.
Good luck with your reloading this is certainly the right forum for any information that you require.
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au

one of us
posted Hide Post
This 218 Imperial/Mashburn Bee of yours intrigues me, what else can you tell this uncultured heathen about it?

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Curtis
Back at the turn of the previous century before this previous century ie 1900.
The military issue rifle was the 450/577 Martini Henry which was considered a little to big for cadet training.

So the powers that be comissioned BSA and WW Greener to make a smaller martini chambered in 310 calibre.Known in Oz as the 310 Martini
Cadet.

These rifles much later became popular converted to 22 Hornet ,218 Bee, rimmed .222(which was designed for the 310 cadet conversions) and improved variations.
The 218 Mashburn Bee was developed by Art Mashburn in his Oklahoma City gunshop.

The rifle in Question was built by an Australian gunsmith Don Black.He used a savage 22 cal barrel and it has a monte carlo style butt stock and forestock made out of Queensland Maple.

Thats about all I know.I have not received
the rifle as yet.

Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
DeafDog if that is on the small Cadet action make sure that the firing pin hole has been properly bushed to use a smaller diameter firing pin. The Cadets had a rather large firing pin OD which was fine for the low pressure calibers they were intended for but the Mashburn operates at higher pressures.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Bearclaw
Can you explain further about the size of the firing and how it influences things.
I think the original 310 cadet uses a small rifle primer same as the 218 bee.I don't understand why a smaller diam firing pin would be better?
How does the diam of the firing pin affect
pressure?
I am on a steep learning curve when it comes
to gunsmithing so please excuse my ignorance.
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
According to to P.O.Ackley in a artical I read years ago he said that the larger diameter firing pin hole in the Cadet breech face combined with a weak firing pin spring can allow a primer to buldge back into the hole with higher psi cartridges. I also saw this in one of the NRA gunsmithing books. What they both suggest is to reduce the hole diameter, make a firing pin with a smaller diameter nose to match the new hole & use a
stiffer firing pin spring.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-25-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Bearclaw
Thanks for the explanation.
I will whatch out for what is described.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Happy New year!!!
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au