THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What critters would you hunt with a 25/06
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What critters would you hunt with a 25/06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The subject line sums it up. What critters would you hunt with a 25/06 & what bullet would you do it with?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
deer with a 120gr Hornady HP or 120gr SPeer Hot Core.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thin skin non-dangerous game up to the 400 pound range. I find myself using my 25 wssm more and more. Still working with different bullets. For varmints, I've settled on a 75 grain V-Max at 3700 fps. Right now for big game I'm using the Ballistic Tip.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Anything from yotes to elk. Most any bullet will do fine on whitetail, yotes, and antelope. I'd go with the heaviest premium bullet that your gun shoots well for mule deer and elk.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Anything up to an including mule deer can be cleanly taken using the Sierra 117 grain flat-based bullet. WHile it's been used to take bigger things, I'd probably draw the line with mule deer, however.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Remington 700 Classic in .25-06 since 1991 and I have only one load. I push a 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3,525 with a max load of IMR4831.

I use it for everything. Whitetails, mulies, pronghorns, coyotes, rockchucks, and groundhogs.

I've shot dozens of whitetails and six mulie bucks with it. I shot a big mulie in Montana at 435 yards. I have a laser measured one-shot kill on a groundhog (witnessed) at 813 yards and a kill on a prairie dog (witnessed) much farther than that.

While I have had Ballistic Tips come apart in the .30-06 I've not had that happen with the .25-06. I have never recovered a bullet from it. All have been complete pass-throughs. Exactly one whitetail buck ever went anywhere, and he only made about three hops before going down.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 75 V-Max, 100gr Partition, and 120gr Partition you can take anything on the North American continent except the great bears and probably moose.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm personally a little uncomfortable with the .25-06 on anything larger than mule deer or carabou, but with a 115-120 grain premium bullet it will do passably well on elk or moose. After all, lots of elk are killed every year with .243's and .30-30's, and a .25-06 with 120 grain Noslers provides a lot more than either of those.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mule deer at a max and 120 grain HP from Hornady!

While it will kill elk one certainly has to have better choices.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to hijack, but I would have thought that more of you would be OK with this round for elk. I'd be fine with most of the .308 family on the lower end, for elk, with proper bullet selection. Though I admit that below the 7mm08 is getting iffy for me. That being said, the 30-06 family is completely adequate for elk IMHO. I would think that most here would say a 30-06 is perfect medicine for elk, so what difference does 60 grain and .051 inches in diameter really make? Then again, I have yet to kill an elk. I could be wrong. I'm also not trying to start a war here.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
Not meaning to hijack, but I would have thought that more of you would be OK with this round for elk. I'd be fine with most of the .308 family on the lower end, for elk, with proper bullet selection. Though I admit that below the 7mm08 is getting iffy for me. That being said, the 30-06 family is completely adequate for elk IMHO. I would think that most here would say a 30-06 is perfect medicine for elk, so what difference does 60 grain and .051 inches in diameter really make? Then again, I have yet to kill an elk. I could be wrong. I'm also not trying to start a war here.

Your statement about never killing an elk speaks volumes for those of us that have. The 25-06 is a great deer and antelope round. That's what it was designed for.

But, it isn't an elk round. I'm not saying it won't work. I'm not saying is hasn't killed elk. I've seen elk killed with it. I've also seen elk wounded and lost to it. It simply does not have enough bullet weight to push through on a quartering away or quartering to shot. An elk's grass filled stomach will stop the bullet and the heavy front shoulder bones would be hard to punch through with that light of a bullet.

If you are wiling to wait for a perfect broadside shot and are able to hit exactly where you aim, then go for it. But, after taking over 25 elk and after seeing over 150 elk taken over the years, I'll pass on the 25-06 if I have anything bigger available.

You ask what the difference between 60 grains of bullet weight and 5/100's bullet diameter makes? When you are talking about an animal that may weigh over 700 lbs, it matters greatly.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a kid that was raised on the 25-06, I am a bit partial and impressed w/ what I have done w/ it. Having used bigger carts to kill several Elk and many nilgai, I have to admit that it is on the light side for Elk and ONLY w/ a 120g premium bullet--I prefer the partition. I would use it for elk, but would prefer my 338WM, 300WM or 30-06 w/ 180s.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Mac,
First off, let's not have this sink to the .223 for whitetail level.
So then where is the line? Is a .270 shooting a 130 OK? What about a 280 with 140's? Elk were shot to endangered levels with a 30-30 after all.

I haven't killed any elk. That doesn't mean that I don't know people who have, or anything about ballistics and bullet performance. The 25-06 probably isn't the best choice for elk (though in my opinion it will do fine). OTOH, if a 270 will work, and you can't say that it isn't one of the most popular all-arounds out there, then you'll have a hard time convincing me that a 25-06 won't.

I'll always grant you that shot placement is key. If I were to go elk hunting tomorrow, I'd be carrying my 7mm rem mag, with a 7mm08 for a backup. I wouldn't take just any shot with either rifle. I wouldn't take just any shot with a 375 H&H for that matter.

I agree that the 25-06 is perfect for deer and antelope. I'll also assume that you didn't intend to come off as insulting. After all, we all know what opinions are like....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd use it on pretty much anything in the lower 48 with a properly constructed bullet. However, I as well have better rifles suited for game larger than deer and black bear so I probably wouldn't be my first half dozen choices for elk or moose. I built mine with pronghorn and mule deer in mind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac,
Elk were shot to endangered levels with a 30-30 after all.

Actually, when they were really slaughtering the elk herds during the time of unrestricted hunting, the 30-30 hadn't even been invented. Same with the buffalo. Those were the days of the big black-powder cartridges. By the time the 30-30 came on the scene, the herds were already shot out.

I was in no way trying to be insulting, but I was trying to point out that you were making a claim that you could not base on practical experience. Based on my experience growing up in elk country, I can state the 25-06 is fairly rare in elk camps.

Most really serious elk hunters I know carry 7mm Mags shooting 160 gr bullets or bigger. You see an occasional 270 or 280, but not too many this day and age. 30 caliber has always been popular too. The guys that eat and breath elk hunting seem to prefer 338 caliber.

The reason for that is that they can take a shot from just about any angle. Elk are a heavy boned animal that lives in rough country. Trying to recover a wounded one shot with a too light caliber is a nightmare. I know, I've had to do it several times.

No animal has ever been killed by a ballistic table. Animals are killed cleanly by placing a bullet in an area that the bullet can either destroy the circulatory system (hearts, lungs, arteries etc...) or shutting down the nervous system (brain, spine, etc...) The problem with the 25-06 is that the light bullet can simply not be depended on to make it through the vitals from any angle.

Not a problem if you are willing to wait for that perfect broadside shot. But in today's elk woods, a single good opportunity may very well be the only opportunity of the season. Most people would try to push the shot and possibly lose the elk. Nobody wins in that situation.

So, the 25-06 is great for deer and antelope. Remember, the focus of this topic is what would you hunt with the 25-06. Not what it would be capable of bringing down. By your own admission, you would hunt with something else if you were actually hunting elk, not just sniping one because the opportunity presented itself. And there, lies the difference.

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I and my brother have killed many deer with the 25-06 and two elk every thing was killed with one shot.The 120 grain nosler partion is the way to go my brother says it is as good as a 270 with a 130.

Posts: 41 | Location: oregon | Registered: 11 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
quote:
Mac,

Actually, when they were really slaughtering the elk herds during the time of unrestricted hunting, the 30-30 hadn't even been invented. By the time the 30-30 came on the scene, the herds were already shot out. I just read an article that contradicts this, but whatever you say. The 30-30 came about in 1895, and was one of the most popular rounds of the time and still is. The game was becoming more scarce in this time as well. I can't remember where I was reading this. It may have been American rifleman, or online.

I was in no way trying to be insulting, but I was trying to point out that you were making a claim that you could not base on practical experience. based on my own experience shooting, no, but I can base an opinion on others that I know, and what I've read. I have never fallen off of a cliff, but I do have a valid opinion of the subject. One of the guys I grew up hunting with had a 25-06. That gun killed several elk, and a bunch of whitetails and hogs. I even took a hog with it myself. The opening question is "what critters would you hunt with a 25-06?" My answer represents my opinion FWIW. Our opinions can vary and that's OK. I'd not feel undergunned hunting elk with a 25-06, as I don't take bad shots. Period. If you would feel under-gunned, or feel the need to push bad angles, then don't. I'd hunt elk with a 338 WM too, and would feel comfortable with more shot opportunities, but that wasn't the question.

So, the 25-06 is great for deer and antelope. Remember, the focus of this topic is what would you hunt with the 25-06. Not what it would be capable of bringing down. By your own admission, you would hunt with something else if you were actually hunting elk, because I've don't currently have a 25-06. I stated the 7mm08 would be my current back up, which has ballistics fairly close to the 25-06. The most suitable calibers of my current rifles are those listed. I don't have a 22-250 so I would hunt yotes with my 220 swift. I don't currently have a 16 gauge either, but I would duck hunt with one etc.

I'm sick today, and bored, and probably more argumentative than I should be. Your dismissive attitude towards me caused me to respond. By your own admission, many elk have been taken by a 25-06, and clearly many have been wounded by larger calibers. This is one of those gray areas left to each person's judgment.

Maybe we should just say that the 25-06 is wonderful for antelope and deer, and on the lighter side, but still viable, for elk.

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine and his wife went to New Mexico last year on an elk hunt and the one she shot with a 25-06 looks alarmingly dead on their wall. Big Grin

Not my round of choice, as I have a 243 and a 30-06 (amongst others)and never desired anything in between.

Honest opinion, deer, hogs and antelope. Elk seems a little big to me, but I think the conditions come into play on that one, no 400 yard shots etc. Seems like kind of the "you make the call" point to me.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I know people that say anything under a 338 Win Mag is too small for Elk and others that swear by the 243.

Your gun, your choice but be prepared to deal with the consequences. I've taken Elk with a 308, 30.06, 7 Mag and a .54 caliber muzzle loader, all of them work within their limitations.

Is the 25.06 capable of taking Elk? In the hands of a capable hunter who knows it's capabilities and can hunt with those limitations in mind, sure.

Is it a good choice or a novice hunter or shooter? No, it is not.

The next time I hunt Elk it will be with my 7 Mag or my 375 H&H.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
One of the guys that I used to work with hunts deer and elk every year with his .25-06. He's killed at least a half dozen elk with it. I was with him when he killed one.

My favorite rifle for deer size animals is my .257 AI. It's ballistics are about the same as the ballistics of a .25-06. I've killed a mule or whitetail deer and a pronghorn antelope or two with it almost every year for the past 32 years. I've also used it to make one shot kills on 4 bighorn rams, a Dall ram, a mountain caribou, and the second largest 6 pt elk that I ever shot. Most animals, including all of the sheep and the elk dropped in their tracks. The bullets that I use are either 120 gr Hornady HP or 117 gr Sierra GameKings.

I would be confident hunting any north American game animal up to and including bull elk with my .257 Ackley or a .25-06.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is one for you fellows, a buddy of mine shot and killed with one shot from his 25-06 a full grown buffalo.
I think what it comes down to, is putting in time at the range with your rifle of choice. Some fellows feel that the then new Barnes TSX bullet gave them an added advantage on larger game with the 25's. I have several 25's myself, love to shoot them. Some how when its time to go hunting I seem to always want to take my custom 7x57 with 140gr TSX. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 25/06 would not be my first choice for elk either. I have other choices available that would be my first choice for that. I was considering this for mainly for deer, antelope, & smaller animals.
What are some good powders to start load development with?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always loaded H4831 w/ 120g Par. Shoots very well. I read the 4350s also work well. Some are having good luck w/ 7828 and others w/ RL22. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What critter would I hunt with 25-06? The guy that sold it to me instead of a .270. Nothing a 25-06 will do that a .270 won't do better---I'm not Jack O'Connor and I have never owned a .270, do have 30-06.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The 25-06 has been my backup rifle for elk for a number of years. It well stay home this year, the 7mm Mauser has finally replaced it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a .223 is good for white tail then a .25-06 is good for.....

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the only elk i ever killed was at quite a range with a 30-06, 180 grain partitions. hit him well a number of times and he just circled like a helicopter that was going down.
that was 10 years ago and i was hunting without a guide. if i get the opportunity again, think i will get closer and use something with a bit more diameter. will also bring a whetstone.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvy barrel:
The 25/06 would not be my first choice for elk either. I have other choices available that would be my first choice for that. I was considering this for mainly for deer, antelope, & smaller animals.
What are some good powders to start load development with?

4831 from whatever manufacturer. I use IMR.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Powders for .25-06: With the heavy bullets we're talking about here (115-120), the slower the better. To achieve optimum velocity (115 gr @ 3125 fps from a 24" bbl), I'm using IMR7828SSC. RL-25 is not too slow.

Be cautious with switching between 4831's. The IMR version is virtually as fast as IMR-4350, while the Hodgdon version is closer to the speed of 7828.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
It should be great for any deer and antelope that you could find here in the US and a passable back up rifle in an elk camp with some Barnes bullets.

I have shot a couple of my buddie's 25/06 and was very impressed with the caliber.

Could also be dynamite as a long range varmint rig. But I would use my deer loads for that application to up the practice for you.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
It should be great for any deer and antelope that you could find here in the US and a passable back up rifle in an elk camp with some Barnes bullets.

I find that comment interesting after all the 223/deer threads. You don’t need a Barnes bullet, Sierra 117s work just fine. I’m sure the Nosler bullets will work too but I have never used them on elk.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted You don’t need a Barnes bullet, Sierra 117s work just fine.

I must respectfully disagree. You may not need Barnes bullets specifically, but my experience with Sierra 117s from the .25-06 suggest to me it is not adequate to turn the .25-06 into a reliable rifle on 700 lb. deer. I think you need some kind of premium bullet if you are even going to consider using it on a fine animal like an elk.

I first shot the .25-06 at game in 1959. The animal was a smallish Columbia Black-tail buck (under 100 lbs. total weight). The bullet was a Sierra 117 grain SP.
The shot was a Texas heart shot, which did NOT hit any bone whatsoever. The bullet penetrated approximately 3-to-4", then blew up completely.

That deer traveled almost all of that night, with us following a VERY scanty blood trail through the fallen oak leaves by lantern light. The deer finally was killed by falling about 40 feet straight down into a chasm about 3' wide at the bottom, maybe 8'-to-10' wide at the top, when it tried to jump over it but didn't quite make it.

In those days, 130 grain SP .25 bullets were available from Hi-Precision, so I switched to them and got much better performance. Maybe 13 grains more weight shouldn't make that much difference, but that coupled with thicker jackets seemed to do the trick. The Hi-Precision bullets, even though cup 'n core, performed much better on game for me and my dad.

Ever since the Hi-Precision bullets became unavailable, I have used the heaviest Nosler Partition bullets I can buy, and have been pleased with them.

Must admit, that even though having had at least one .25-06 or more at a time for all those years, and having killed quite a few elk during that time, I didn't (and don't) use a .25-06 to do it.

My preference for animals of elk size or larger is a .300 Mag of one variety or another, again with Nosler Partitions of 180 grains or heavier....

I think the .25-06 is a superb round for deer up to maybe 250 pounds, but for bigger game, there are just too many other cartridges that are better. So I'll have to agree pretty much down the line with everything MAC said above on the subject.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac,
First off, let's not have this sink to the .223 for whitetail level.
So then where is the line? Is a .270 shooting a 130 OK? What about a 280 with 140's? Elk were shot to endangered levels with a 30-30 after all.

I haven't killed any elk. That doesn't mean that I don't know people who have, or anything about ballistics and bullet performance. The 25-06 probably isn't the best choice for elk (though in my opinion it will do fine). OTOH, if a 270 will work, and you can't say that it isn't one of the most popular all-arounds out there, then you'll have a hard time convincing me that a 25-06 won't.

I'll always grant you that shot placement is key. If I were to go elk hunting tomorrow, I'd be carrying my 7mm rem mag, with a 7mm08 for a backup. I wouldn't take just any shot with either rifle. I wouldn't take just any shot with a 375 H&H for that matter.

I agree that the 25-06 is perfect for deer and antelope. I'll also assume that you didn't intend to come off as insulting. After all, we all know what opinions are like....

I would agree, shot placement & bullet integreity is key. You can kill elk w/ an arrow or handgun too. A 25-06 will certainly take elk w/ a good premium bullet & good placement. Bull elk are BIG animlas. I would limit my range to 200yds, you are running out of gas quickly w/ 120gr bullet much beyond that.
I had a friend kill & skin out a big bull elk that had taken a 130gr/270BP into the shoulder blade some years before he killed it. The shoulder blade was cracked, the bullet still stuck their. That was enough for me to put the 25-06 out of the elk category. It does have to be the near perfect antelope rig & fine for any deer that walks the continent. I would use 120gr for everything, or the exc. 117grNP. If after elk, the heavier Barnes makes a lot of sense.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken everything from fox squirrels to a 285# mule deer in CO. Had I found the dad gummed elk that were wallowing and pooping all over the area we were hunting I would have gotten one of them too.

I shoot or did shoot eh 115gr Nosler Partition almost exclusively. The load I shot used RL-22 and was the most accurate off the shelf rifle I have ever owned. It easily held 1/2" groups at 200 yards from a solid rest. The only issues I ever had with it was the factory stock started to warp over the years and started shooting high. I replaced it with a Fajen laminate, and it went right back to where it left off. It was good enough to head shoot squirrels at 250yds and a skunk at 285.

Anyway, with the powders available I would look at H-4831, AA-3100, RL-22 for the mid weight bullets of 110 and 115grs. For the 100's IMR-4831 and RL-19 are or were the ticket for mine.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted You don’t need a Barnes bullet, Sierra 117s work just fine.

I must respectfully disagree. You may not need Barnes bullets specifically, but my experience with Sierra 117s from the .25-06 suggest to me it is not adequate to turn the .25-06 into a reliable rifle on 700 lb. deer. I think you need some kind of premium bullet if you are even going to consider using it on a fine animal like an elk.

I first shot the .25-06 at game in 1959. The animal was a smallish Columbia Black-tail buck (under 100 lbs. total weight). The bullet was a Sierra 117 grain SP.
The shot was a Texas heart shot, which did NOT hit any bone whatsoever. The bullet penetrated approximately 3-to-4", then blew up completely.

That deer traveled almost all of that night, with us following a VERY scanty blood trail through the fallen oak leaves by lantern light. The deer finally was killed by falling about 40 feet straight down into a chasm about 3' wide at the bottom, maybe 8'-to-10' wide at the top, when it tried to jump over it but didn't quite make it.

In those days, 130 grain SP .25 bullets were available from Hi-Precision, so I switched to them and got much better performance. Maybe 13 grains more weight shouldn't make that much difference, but that coupled with thicker jackets seemed to do the trick. The Hi-Precision bullets, even though cup 'n core, performed much better on game for me and my dad.

Ever since the Hi-Precision bullets became unavailable, I have used the heaviest Nosler Partition bullets I can buy, and have been pleased with them.

Must admit, that even though having had at least one .25-06 or more at a time for all those years, and having killed quite a few elk during that time, I didn't (and don't) use a .25-06 to do it.

My preference for animals of elk size or larger is a .300 Mag of one variety or another, again with Nosler Partitions of 180 grains or heavier....

I think the .25-06 is a superb round for deer up to maybe 250 pounds, but for bigger game, there are just too many other cartridges that are better. So I'll have to agree pretty much down the line with everything MAC said above on the subject.

I must respectfully agree with you.

I agree that the 25-06 is not a great choice for elk hunting.

I agree that the Sierra 117-grain bullet is not the best choice for killing elk. Although I have killed elk with that bullet, using a Barnes bullet doesn’t make the 25-06 a front line elk round or make it a better backup rifle. After all, it’s only a 25-06.

I much prefer a round that shoots a 150 grain + bullet. But what would I know, I’ve shot elk with an arrow and a .495 pure lead round ball out of a flintlock rifle. They all died from my choice of weapons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

Given the limitations of the 25-06 calibre I would limit myself to a long tusked mouse. I certainly wouldn't use it on anything as big as a rat if I lived in North America. Man from what I have gathered on other threads your animals are built like an M1 tank. Apparently you need a 120mm smoothbore firing APFSDS rounds to take out deer. dancing

Sorry Charlie, You need one of those depleted uranium penetrators to have the ultimate God given calibre BOOM

Only an idiot from the otherside of the world would be able to pull off such feats as killing a deer with a mouse calibre fishing

Down here we would use it for everything beer Come join us

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Down here we would use it for everything

We know you would.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvy barrel:
The subject line sums it up. What critters would you hunt with a 25/06 & what bullet would you do it with?
Columbian Blacktail Deer,Elk & Mule Deer with nosler accubond or partition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
quote:
Mac,

Actually, when they were really slaughtering the elk herds during the time of unrestricted hunting, the 30-30 hadn't even been invented. Same with the buffalo. Those were the days of the big black-powder cartridges. By the time the 30-30 came on the scene, the herds were already shot out.

I was in no way trying to be insulting, but I was trying to point out that you were making a claim that you could not base on practical experience. Based on my experience growing up in elk country, I can state the 25-06 is fairly rare in elk camps.

Most really serious elk hunters I know carry 7mm Mags shooting 160 gr bullets or bigger. You see an occasional 270 or 280, but not too many this day and age. 30 caliber has always been popular too. The guys that eat and breath elk hunting seem to prefer 338 caliber.

The reason for that is that they can take a shot from just about any angle. Elk are a heavy boned animal that lives in rough country. Trying to recover a wounded one shot with a too light caliber is a nightmare. I know, I've had to do it several times.

No animal has ever been killed by a ballistic table. Animals are killed cleanly by placing a bullet in an area that the bullet can either destroy the circulatory system (hearts, lungs, arteries etc...) or shutting down the nervous system (brain, spine, etc...) The problem with the 25-06 is that the light bullet can simply not be depended on to make it through the vitals from any angle.

Not a problem if you are willing to wait for that perfect broadside shot. But in today's elk woods, a single good opportunity may very well be the only opportunity of the season. Most people would try to push the shot and possibly lose the elk. Nobody wins in that situation.

So, the 25-06 is great for deer and antelope. Remember, the focus of this topic is what would you hunt with the 25-06. Not what it would be capable of bringing down. By your own admission, you would hunt with something else if you were actually hunting elk, not just sniping one because the opportunity presented itself. And there, lies the difference.
A friend of mine hunted mule deer and elk in colorado with his ruger #1 in 6mm but he only took head or neck shots.He dropped running bull elk but he had unusual credentials most don't possess he was trained by the usmc as a sniper & had combat experience .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Mick,

Elk are the biggest animals we hunt down here so really its not much of a boast., I just thought I would have some fun bearing in mind some of the other rather volatile threads on small calibres for deer.

I am having trouble convincing some of the old hands in my hunting club that if you have an exit wound the bullet has done its job. They use the term "pencil through" if there is an exit wound. You can talk till you are blue in the face, give lectures on anatomy and physiology, they reckon it energy being dumped in the target that kills.

Thank heaven there is nothing more dangerous than pigs in this country.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote