THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What critters would you hunt with a 25/06
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What critters would you hunt with a 25/06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Mick,

Elk are the biggest animals we hunt down here so really its not much of a boast., I just thought I would have some fun bearing in mind some of the other rather volatile threads on small calibres for deer.

I am having trouble convincing some of the old hands in my hunting club that if you have an exit wound the bullet has done its job. They use the term "pencil through" if there is an exit wound. You can talk till you are blue in the face, give lectures on anatomy and physiology, they reckon it energy being dumped in the target that kills.

Thank heaven there is nothing more dangerous than pigs in this country.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

I have no problem here. Some of us take things too seriously from time to time. Have a good night. Wink

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 25/06 and I love the gun and cartridge, I've used it on groundhogs, coyote, and deer with no problems whatsoever. But two season ago a bear was reported in my deer hunting area and I opted to leave the 26/06 at home and carried a 30/06 instead. The thought of poking such a small hole in a bear, that you may have to track down, made me uncomfortable. Likewise for elk, I'd pick a bigger gun. No doubt the 25/06 will kill a bear or elk, but there are much better choices.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank heaven there is nothing more dangerous than pigs in this country.
I would have thought that too but I have never heard of a 'rogue' pig here but have heard of a few deer attacking hunters! And not only in our country (deer, that is). Confused

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote