THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    My Son's B'day Present--Stevens M200

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Son's B'day Present--Stevens M200
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
Tomorrow is my son's 13th birthday. What he really wants is a cell phone Confused, but I think he'll be happy w/ what I've got him--a Stevens M200 in 223 Remington w/ a Simmons 44 Mag scope (6.5-20X, purchased new >5 years ago, but never mounted) and Burris Supreme Z rings Smiler. Cleaned barrel and shot the gun for the first time today. Was on paper pretty quickly at 25 yds. Then moved target to 100 yards. Winchester 55 gr FMC ("white box" ammo) put 4 shots into 2.3" (last 3 shots 1.5" w/ 2 touching); this ammo has never shot very well for me Frowner. Was given to me by a non-shooting friend so I shoot when sighting in a gun. Also tried 2 handloads, both developed for my 223 Rem Contender. 50 gr TNT/R-P brass/H322/Rem 7 1/2 primers put 3 shots into 1.35" (w/ 2 nearly touching); 50 gr NBT/R-P brass/H322/Rem 7 1/2 primers put 3 shots into a nice 0.94" clover-leaf. Wink Pressures looked ok w/ all loads. Was pushed for time, so only cleaned between each group. I feel really good that the gun has great promise clap, especially after I touch up the trigger (breaks at 6 1/2-7 1/2#). I had really wanted to get him a Savage w/ Accu-Trigger, but could not find one anywhere (N. LA/S. AR/E. TX). Roll Eyes Now if I can just find us a pd hunt! Gary T.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Way to go Gary!
That rifle will last a hell of a lot longer than a cellphone, and for years to come it will be a much greater joy to get it out and mess with it, beats a phone any day!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought a 200 a few months ago, part of a relatives business deal gone sour. He needed to move it, so I paid even less than the rediculously low regular price. Added a Bushnell Trophy in 3X9X40 and it shoots very straight. No complaints.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there the best deal going in a new bolt action. The Stevens 200 owns the budget rifle market. I have a few and there all shooters.

posted Hide Post
I am taking my Stevens 200 in 25-06 to Alaska on a Caribou hunt. Topped it off with a VX-III 3.5-10. The scope costs twice as much as the rifle did. It might not be pretty but they are all shooters. I have a feeling your son will have a realize very quickly that this Stevens tops a cell phone any day.

Posts: 5 | Location: Keller, TX | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR SON!! And yes, the rifle will be a part of his life for a long time after the cell phone has lost it's glow!! Try some of the "white box" Winchester USA 45 grain loads in it! Usually available at Wal-Marts but may be in short supply now!! I have yet to see a .223 that didn't shot them decently!
M.Howard............your 25-06 in Stevens 200. Load you up some 117 grain SIERRA SPBT or 120 Hornady HP ahead of either 49.0 grains of IMR 4350 or H4831sc and test it! Bet your rifle will like those loads!! For S&G, try 49.5 grains of VARGET and the 75 grain VMAXS in your Stevens! You may be amazed at how it will shoot that little pill! Wouldn't recommend that load for caribou though!! Big Grin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Stevens 200 in 223 loves 26.2 grains of varget under a 60 grain vmax seated out to 2.29 oal. really nices grups with it at 100

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary,
I just bought a Stevens 200 in a .223. Put a Bushnell 5X15 Legend Series scope on it. Cleaned the hell out of the barrel and broke it in and sighted it in. I'm shooting 55 gr Sierra spitzers on top of 25 gr of w748. I'm telling you man, what a shooter. 3 out of 4 at 100 yardsin a nickel sized group. I jerked # 3 shot and knew it imediately. Not the guns fault. What a sweet rifle. I've got about 700$ tied up in mine. That is out the door price. I've put about 4 differant round through it and I can't see a hell of a lot of difference in accuracy.

If you are reloading for it i've found that 3.00 inches is maximum length for the round using a Stoney Point O.A.L Guage. Any longer than that you will have a chambering problem.

I hope you and your son get alot of enjoyment out of it.

YOTES AND SQUIRRELS BEWARE

Tony dancing

Posts: 77 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 09 June 2007Reply With Quote