Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 remington
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me what the .22 Remington Scoremaster model 511 is like have found one here in Zim and need to know what its worth and what you folks think about it, the barrel looks great and generally its in very good condition the magazine is a bit poked so would need to know where to find a replacement and is there any way to get rid of the trigger creep as I dont really like that, any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Woodley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, nothing special, just a .22 rifle that is as good as some, better than some and not as good as some.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
Remington Scoremaster 511

Type Sporting and Target Rifle
Place of origin U.S.A.
Production history
Manufacturer Remington
Produced 1939 - 1963 (511A, 511P, 511SB), 1965 - 1967 (511X only)
Number built approx. 381,267
Variants 511P, 511SB, 511X
Specifications
Weight 5.5 pounds (Empty magazine)
Barrel length 25 inches

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cartridge .22 Long Rifle, .22 Long, and .22 Short
Action Bolt-Action
Feed system 6-round or 10-round detachable magazine
Sights Open or peep

The Scoremaster 511 series is a .22 caliber, bolt action, detachable magazine-fed rifle manufactured by Remington Arms between 1939 and 1963 and 1965 and 1967.[1][2] The Scoremaster 511 has a 25" barrel, a one piece hardwood stock, and a blued metal finish.

As the Scoremaster 511 was manufactured before 1968, these rifles do not have serial numbers. A two or three letter date code (indicating manufacture date) is stamped on left side of the barrel next to the receiver.

The Scoremaster 511 was part of the Remington 51x series of rimfire rifles consisting of the Targetmaster 510, Scoremaster 511, Sportmaster 512, Matchmaster 513, and 514.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used one as a beginning shooter up until I left home at 21... I didn't realize what a horrible trigger it had until I started shooting bullseye pistol, but it WAS accurate and I don't remember missing a squirrel... {8>0... the rifle has good balance, a 25" barrel and a nice walnut stock... what's not to like? The trigger is difficult to adjust but some have done that. They go for about $100 to $150 for average examples and some want over $250 for excellent examples. The bee hive bolts and 6-round magazines are unique to the "five-teen" series of Remington rifles. NO plastic and very well made barrels.

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoCash3
posted Hide Post
Here locally, any 510, 511, or 512 in clean condition brings a premium. I think it is because a lot of us grew up with those fine rifles. In our later years, we tend to seek out what we used as kids for the fond memory's sake. At gun shows, the "good ones" have dried up. What one will mostly see on the tables are covered in rust and still have a price tag of $200 or more.

What I REALLY like about the 500 series is the fact that they are made of real steel and walnut. Basically, there is very little to break and they go "bang" when the trigger is pulled. As said above, they are danged accurate as well, in spite of not having a bench-rest grade trigger.

Bottom line: A clean one in very good to excellent condition at a reasonable price of between $160 and $200 won't last long on a dealer's rack around here.

Thank goodness my grandfather put me in the woods as a child !

www.TableRockAngler.com

Posts: 113 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 20 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those guys who learned to shot with the old Remington 510/511/512/513 series of rimfire bolt guns. The triggers aren't great, but those rifle will shoot. I have an old 512 barn gun that came to me with a brown patina and a stock spotted with pigeon crap that has cleaned up nicely and after installing a Lyman 57ES(?) it has proven itself capable of shooting good groups. Not in the class of a Remington 37, but a good, rugged, basic .22 bolt gun.

I think that www.gunpartscorp.com has the 511 5-shot magazines.

JEff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 512P and it is a real shooter. I did some stoning on the trigger and it was alot better. Mine was my grandfathers tht he bought new in the 50's I would guess and I don't think he had put a brick of shells through it. My dad has a 511, but it is kind of beat up from when his younger brothers "played" with it while he was on "vacation" in Hawaii during the Korean conflict.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thats awesome guys thanks for the info so i guess im gonna snatch it up especially as rifles are hard to come by this side of the pond. Have to have a toy for when we have shot all the big stuff cant have my clients getting bored, but again thanks for the support and catch you guys again soon.
Woodley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first rifle I bought with money I saved was a Rem 510. I had a lot of fun with that rifle, but could only afford one gun at a time back then, so it went when I got the Rem 722 in 300 Savage.
I bought Dago Red's 510 off our classifieds here so I'd have one to remember the old days.
The 510, 511, 512, 513 and 521 are pretty much the same design. GunParts.com has parts to replace worn parts if you need them.