THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Barnes X and other monolithics
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes X and other monolithics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vultures only exist in certain areas world wide and have no real enemies that I know of therefore they suffer a low predatory and death rate nor have I noticed a shortage in vulture, but I respect your right to do your thing. they also die of chewing gum wrappers according to California report. I agree the clean the land but they also regurgitate and spread disease like hoof and mouth on the Mexican border...but we all need a cause. Just my two bits and a different approach to your cause.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, my experience in Africa is that bullets are a nonissue for vultures.

Farmers poisoning carcasses for predator control are definitely an issue.

The number and amounts of lead from hunters is minimal. Most likely the CA condor issue is from dusting themselves in areas with lead from old motor vehicle exhaust gases when we were using antiknock compound lead.

But don’t expect logic to be used by folks with an agenda.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Barnes since 1992, starting with the X, XLC, TSX and now the TTSX. The X and XLC were very picky about just about everything, seating depth, powder charge, you name it.

The TSX and TTSX have been very easy to find accurate loads for.

In January, 1992, I was reading an article, I think in Handloader, and the author said he was the first guy in the USA to get some 45gr, 22cal Barnes X, as the entire prior years production of them went to Australia, for the kangaroo shooters.

Anyway, what struck me in the article was that the writer had set up some 10lb blocks of ballistic gelatin to shoot into. He shot the Barnes into them using a TC Contender, in 223, with a muzzle velocity of about 2,600fps.

He mentioned that every time a Barnes hit one of the blocks, it would expand so violently that it would knock the other block of the table. This happened 3-4 times before he finally separated the blocks a bit more.

No other bullet, fired out of a rifle, could do that (he was using 223's).

I had been hunting coyotes fairly aggressively for 2 years by then, using my 22 Hornet,(45gr bullet at 2,600fps, pre-Lilgun powder) and getting runners and floppers often.

Switching to the Barnes 45gr X reduced the runners and floppers noticeably, and I have been using them ever since, currently in 22 Hornet, 243Win, 270Win and 30-06.

I have not recovered one yet.

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
It is worth going to a lecture/ information day that has non-partisan experts giving current information on the effects of lead on vultures.
Birds tracked over years, lead levels tested in birds, included chicks still on the nest, etc.
I will not try and convince anyone on this site as I cannot supply enough information, but the facts are sobering from scientists and fellow ranchers whose opinions I value.
In the long term, I believe that the right thing for me to do is to reduce my use of lead.
Interestingly, as I understand it, only vultures are have a digestive process efficient enough to digest lead. Other carrion birds pass it through their bodies.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote