New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Pet 6.5X55 Loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I moved off RL22 - velocity was good, but accuracy was spotty. Sometimes amazing, and sometimes poor, from the same can. I gave away my last unopened can and moved to the Hodgdon Extreme line, due to its less temperature sensitive nature. I'm also trying to keep to single-based powder for accuracy at the expense of velocity.

Of the three I've tried with the 6.5X55 so far - H4350, H4831, and Varget - H4350 has performed best in my M70. I'm using it with Hornady 129g SP Interlocks and they work well seated ~0.030 off the lands, and the powder amount doesn't seem to change group size, though I settled on 45g. This works a little better than with the Nosler Ballistic Tips, surprising me a bit. I like H4831 for 140g bullets, and haven't tried H4350 with them yet. My M70 doesn't much care for Speer 140g, but the 120 works a little better, though not as good as the Hornady or Nosler.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been loading for the 6.5X55 now for about four years. I have a couple of good loads for 140 grain bullets but I have not worked much with lighter bullets. I would be interested in your pet loads for 120 grain pills and others up to and including 140 grainers. I have found RL-22 to be a very good powder choice for the 6.5X55 but I know other powders will also perform well. Anyone using H4350? I'm prepping brass for some 120 grain loads now and I will be watching for your suggestions.

Posts: 30 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote