New
Find
Notify
Tools

300WSM. 300RS ULRA MAG
 Login/Join

<X-Ring>
posted
Lets here it. What's the real world exsperance with these?
I have read alot about the Win Short Mag and the Rem short Ultra Mag in mags, but those guys are paid to write about these things, and I fear are not the most unbaised writers in the world.
So lets here from guys who shoot. Just because they like to. Not for a job to write about it.
What are these cartridges like? ie: Recoil, Accuracy.
My biggest ? is. In the real world of hunting is there that big of a differance between them and a 300 win? Whats the big deal here, and what do I gain? Is it just a lighter/faster gun?
X-Ring

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Realistically no difference. If you already have a .300 WinMag there isn't any reason to sell it and buy one of the "shorties" but if you don't already have one and want a .300 Magnum why not get a short one? All things being equal they will shoot at least as good as the longer round and will take less powder to do it and less powder means longer barrel life and some measure of reduced recoil. Which one of the shorties to get probably depends on if you think of yourself as a "Winchester" or "Remington" kind of guy and which rifle you like better.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Wildcat>
posted
Mainly just a lighter, faster gun, but in a more potent cartridge. and since ithey use less powder for same velocity there is less recoil, ease of reloading, and it has been proven time and time again that short fat cases are much more accurate than skinny tall ones. look at the PPC's.

------------------
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a sad world in which we begin to believe our own propaganda.

The real world performance of the short magnums, loaded to the same pressure with similar powders and bullets, is closer to the 30-06 than to the .300 Winchester Magnum (although those two are not really that far apart -- about 200 fps with like bullets). On the other end of the spectrum, the .300 Ultra Magnum is at most about 200 fps faster than the .300 Win -- again, with similar pressures and bullets. (This is not to say that FACTORY loads are loaded similarly. They are not. As a cartridge has been on the market longer, factories start to load it to lower pressure on the theory that there are more older and converted guns floating around out there that shouldn't be subjected to high maximum working pressures. The short "magnums" are loaded-up by the factories and, in factory form, may approximately equal the .300 Winchester. Don't believe me? Just find some vintage 1963 .300 Winchester factory ammo and run it through your chronograph!)

The short "magnums" will give you one less round in the chamber (because they're fat) than a standard magnum and two less than an '06; and considerable limitation on bullet seating.

Only, if for some reason, you want a short-action rifle should you buy one of the new short magnums.

Accuracy has little to do with the shape of the case and much to do with how much effort is put into the rifle and the load.

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 10-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 10-09-2001).]

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
I would have to agree with Stonecreek. Well written. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek....you're right...up to a point but it is the shape of the .22PC that allowed it to push all others aside in the benchrest world of competition. If you took (as well as possible) the same quality components and had the same quality 'smith put them together and had them shot by the same quality shooter like Tony Boyer et al....the .22PC would flat open a can of whup ass on any other .22 centerfire....and the .22PC has the velocity to run with the pack if you want to hunt PDs.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fellow I know who works with a police force was given a couple of cases of WSM ammo and a couple of rifles by Winchester to independently try or test out. He said he was really impressed with the 300WSM. He was impressed at the accuracy and velocities that they were getting.
I was really surprised to hear this from him because he was so negative about the 300WSM when it first came out. They have built a couple of sniper rifles on the 300WSM already.
He does not feel that it will replace the 300 Win. Mag. or that you should go out and sell your 300 Mag. but if your in the market for a 300, you have a couple of good choices.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ddelle338>
posted
I just got my .300 WSM barrel for my Encore pistol and have to say that I'm in love, very accurate, tame enough for a hand gun, (it's got a brake) and has enough energy to take down anything I'll ever hunt. I just can't wait to get some of my own loads made up for it! That said... I have to go.. Off to the loading bench.