New
Find
Notify
Tools

new 338
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just shot a new ruger mk 2 338 stainless 3x9 leupold. avg 1in groups 100yds with 250 gr rem. vel. 2550 on the avg factory.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your point?

------------------
Jay
"For God and Country"

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ease up man, he's happy with his new toy.

P dog -- I love the Rugers, even though I don't own one. I'm hoping to acquire a 338 [soon] myself, in the form of the '08 Brazilian action now in my desk! Maybe a stainless ruger later, for wet weather...

good shooting,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd by the time you get done paying for all the work on that action you could buy a Ruger. This is a nice rifle trigger is braking in might put a timmy on it. You well like one if you buy one.

<JoeM>
posted
Pdog
On my all weather Ruger, a man I know put in a lighter trigger spring. And that worked wonders. To the point that I am going to wait on the replacement trigger for a while.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<Bill T>
posted
P Dog: I've got a Stainless Model 77 in .30-06 with the brown laminated stock, and I'm real happy with it. The only thing that I don't like about the Rugers is their flimsy scope mount system. I wish they would just drill and tap them like everybody else does. I have the same problem on ALL my scoped Rugers. The side mounting screw always seems to loosen up over time, and I constantly have to keep re torquing it. And you can only put so much torque on that single screw. The problem is far worse with their magnum revolvers, than it is with the rifles. The system is fine for low recoiling calibers, or .22 Rimfire, but sucks for the big bores. I have a Ruger #1 in .416 Rigby, and a Super Redhawk in .454 Casull, and I wouldn't think of trying to scope them with their flimsy mounting system. One thing I've found that helps is to get rid of those crappy thin slotted ring screws, and replace them with Torx Head screws. At least then you can get the damn rings tight. Bill T.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I am truly sorry. I did not mean to sound like I was getting froggy. All I meant was, that is the type of accuracy I have come to expect from my Ruger .338. Wait till you work up a quality handload for it. I was not able to believe the group sizes I get. I've got targets with 5 shots in 5/8" at 100 meters. I apologize again if I offended you in any way. I guess it was a stupid post.

------------------
Jay
"For God and Country"

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the rugers seem to shoot just fine I haven't had a change to reload for it yet middle of hunting seasons to busy hunting. I guess this winter I will play with it.

<X-Ring>
posted
Congrates P Dog
Mine isn't a all weather. In fact it's an older M77 (not mk2) She sure shoots nice tight groups!
X

------------------
Freedom wasn't free. Today they want our guns. What will they want tommorow?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the all weather Rugers one in 338 the other in 308 and two of the wood stocked in 280 and 270. All shoot just fine. Trigger jobs were done and this really helped. As far as the mounting system goes a little loc-tite on the screws doesn't hurt.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote