THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: Rifle suggestions for (soon-to-be) wife...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rifle suggestions for (soon-to-be) wife...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd second that suggestion of the Handi-Rifle for the exact same reasons. Don't know if I'd go for the .243, maybe a 7mm-08 to keep the recoil down but still provide a good deer caliber.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=4&subcat=6

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Winchester M70 Custom Compact in 7mm-08. Short and light. Bought one for my wife and it's worked out well for her. And if she gets tired of it; add a 1" spacer and YOU have a light compact rifle.

The Custom compact is not only good looking but a very strong action and some resale value if she decides to give it up.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Rem. M7, small & light, just have the stock shortened to fit.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I actually got my wife a youth model NEF Handi Rifle. It fits her well and as she "matures" in her shooting and hunting abilities I can add extra barrels in different calibers. I started her with .22 Hornet and .243. I also didnt want to get alot of money into it until I know she is going to stick with it... She is a born and raised city girl.. waiting to see how she adapts to life in the hills...lol

The other reason for a single shot is what it forces you to learn..Make that first shot count!

Posts: 11 | Location: Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that wives like pretty guns. Take a look at the Winchester Classic Compact. It has smaller dimensions and looks good too.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check savage out. they have several youth models and my favorite for your application,the sierra ultra light. i bought one in 308 for a walk-around piece. i recommend the 7mm/08 for your lady. with the 20" barrel you can install a muzzle brake and eliminate recoil.

Posts: 34 | Location: sebring,fl | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
My tiny wife had the same problem when she took up hunting. We scoured gun shops and shows (wasn't a big internet shopper then) until we found a shortened tang-safety Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts. I'm not sure what they call this specific version, but it came from the factory with a 20" or so barrel, with a matching trim forend. With a shortened stock, the rifle is a perfect fit for a small-framed person. Incidentally, the Bob has turned out to be an ideal cartridge for her as well. It has minimal recoil, but with 120 grain bullets has plenty of power for most NA hunting. I like it so much that I bought a .257 AI barrel for my Encore.

Ruger now makes a M77 Compact with a 16" barrel and small stock. I believe it's chambered in .223, .243, .260, and .308. Although I'm not a fan of a barrel THAT short, it might be worth consideration.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So does everybody like the 7mm-08 over the .243?

Thanks,

Dan

Don't know about everybody, but I would take the 7-08 over the .243. Many opine that the .243 is marginal for deer, though many have been killed with it. I personally like the versatility of the 7, and its option to shoot stout heavy bullets should your choice of game expand (elk, moose, bears, etc.).

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Don't forget that wives like pretty guns. Take a look at the Winchester Classic Compact. It has smaller dimensions and looks good too.

Aaron

This too is true, my wife won't even let me buy an "ugly" gun! There are very few sythetic stocks in my safe because of this...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington has a reasonably priced youth model with synthetic stock, nice gun: http://www.remington.com/firearms/youth/700adlsynyth.htm
I point this one as I prefer the 700 to the Model 7, but both are available in a youth model.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We went hunting this past weekend and she shot her dad's Weatherby Vanguard .308. Bagged her first deer, but she was having difficulty since the gun didn't fit her well. I was wondering if you guys knew of any guns out there that might fit her well. She's about 5'3". Maybe a youth model???

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any other factory cartridge based on the 308 case is a better deer cartridge than the 243

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem. The new wife loved to shoot but she is 5'4" and I'm 6'1". So nothing I had fit. First thing I did was took a MKX I had built and cut the stock down to fit her. This works great for 90% of our shooting because it is from a blind that allows her to support the heavy front end. But, for walking hunting she needed something much lighter. So I took a 1# fiberglass, a 1909 and a 21" 7X57 barrel and built it with a blind magazine. Then added a 2-7 Leupold. Not sure of the final weight around 7# I would guess. It is light enough for her to hold easily and the blance point is between her hands.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A rifle or shotgun that FITS the wife or youngster is the single most important thing when starting them out shooting. Followed closely by good hearing protection. A poor fitting but light recoiling rifle will discourage quicker than a moderate recoiling but excellently fitted rifle or shotgun. PLEASE take the time and expence to get a well fitted stock/sight combo so you can have a life long shooting partner.

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So does everybody like the 7mm-08 over the .243?

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 350 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 30 September 2004Reply With Quote