New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Savage necked to 6.5?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going to convert a CZ 527 carbine to some 6.5. I was thinking of the 6.5 X 39R since the carbine is in cal 7.62 X 39. See the other posting. The 'smith who does some of my work wants me to go with the above. I think he called it a 6.5 IHSMA. Anybody have experience with this. He says he just finished one and is getting 2770 fps with 129 gr. and 24" bbl.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
If you are worried about the length there was some activity in reboring 250 Savages to 6.5. I picked up a set of dies for the 6.5-.250 at a gunshow but never got a rifle that needed them. I was looking for a model 20 with a bad bore, then moved away from Southern California, where everything seemed to be available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I just dug out an old article Elgin Gates wrote about the IHMSA series of cartridges. He listed the following 6.5 IHMSA loads in an XP100 with an unspecified barrel length:

Sierra 120 -- 35 gr. H4895 -- 2507 fps

Speer 140 -- 41 gr. H450 -- 2436 fps

Hornady 160 -- 34 gr. H380 -- 2054 fps

I'd say that makes your gunsmith's data seem pretty reasonable.

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cannon and Slamfire. I'm going to go for it. Looks like it will be close to 6.5 X 55 ballistics. My 'smith says its an easy mod so I guess the case is not too long. It should make a handy little rifle. I'll post the results here in a couple of months.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob:

You'll have to open up the bolt face a little, of course.

I don't know how long the magazine in the 527 is, but I would wonder if it's long enough to accomodate the Savage case without seating the bullet too deeply?

Also, the magazine would probably need a bit of modification to feed the fatter Savage case.

I was kind of intrigued by your 6.5 x 39 project and hate to see you drop it!

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek, That's the reason I posted this-for your kind of input. I have some experience with the Rem 6.5 mag in the 600 and both my sons have the Rem 6.5 mag in the Rem 700 so I am aware of the price you pay for that short action when handloading. I haven't seen the rifle. I'm working in Mexico and my wife bought it for me for Christmas. I'll be going home this weekend for the holidays and will take the rifle to the 'smith and discuss it face to face. I still may go for the 6.5 X 39. Whatever I do I'll post the results of the first tests here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
I've played with a 6.5x39 imp in a 16" barrel. I was getting close to 2700 fps with 100 grn bullets with a couple of powders. I was curious what a longer barrel might do. The 6.5 on a 300 case might be real sweet!
Slamfire ... any intrest in selling those 6.5x250 sav dies if you arent useing them?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
All eight of the IHMSA cartridges are based on a shortened .300 savage case. The OAL of all these cartridges is a mere 2.60 inches. Velocities would have been from a 15" barrel on an XP-100.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Won't the 6.5 on a .300 case basically be the 6.5X .308, or a .260? I have a 6.5X.257 but have just started playing with it a little.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote