Find
Notify
Tools

6x45 results on 3 Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Just thought I would post my recent results with this cartridge on Whitetailed Deer.
I recently put together an AR15 in 6x45, 20" McGowen barrel, 4-12 Leupold scope.
My bullet was 85 grain Sierra HPBT #1530, this bullet is a fairly hard bullet and NOT a Varmint bullet. With CFE223 powder I was able to attain over 2800 fps and groups right around an inch for 5 shots.
The first Deer was a Buck with an interesting 9 point rack, shot was broadside walking at exactly 150 yards, bullet passed completely through after breaking ribs in and out, destroyed the heart, exit wound was about the size of a Nickel, after the shot the Buck walked stiff legged and hunched about 30 feet and was done.
Second was a mature doe at 124 yards facing straight on, the shot entered at the ribcage/ neck junction breaking ribs and travelling into the body cavity and was not recovered. She dropped at the shot.
Third was a mature doe broadside at 312 yards, I wanted to catch a bullet so I put the bullet low through the shoulders. She dropped at the shot. Bullet passed through shoulder meat, rib, top of heart, rib, and shoulder meat and was caught by the hide on the far side, bullet weighed 36 grains which is 40% weight retained and was a perfect little mushroom.
Additionally my buddy graybird on this forum shot a coyote through the shoulders at about 200 yards and dropped it instantly with the rifle as well.
Overall I am impressed with the cartridge and how it really performs despite it's small size.
It is a pleasure to shoot and very economical using only 27 grains of powder and abundant 5.56 brass.
I will be building a bolt action rifle in 6x45 soon and send my AR15 barrel in 6x45 down the road for another project.
I'll see if I can post a picture of the Deer, since photobuckets crackdown I haven't set up any other means to post photos.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I witnessed the shot on the coyote.

That ol' mangey dog hit the dirt bang-flop

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used a 6 TCU for first time hunters many times. Mini MKX action, compact scope, ultra light stock.
Have always used the 80 grn Rem bullets at 2850 fps. Only allow broadside shots, have nothing but one shot kills on what must be 20 something deer. Longest shot 130 yds. Usually exits, but occasionally a nice mushroom under the skin after breaking a shoulder.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I built a 6x45 on a Sako L461 for my youngest son a few years back. Using 85 grain Sierra game kings he has logged 9, 1 shot kills on whitetails with it so far. I’ve shot a couple of does with it and have been thoroughly impressed.

Zero recoil and hits like the hammer of Thor.

I’m surprised one of the major manufacturers hasn’t “discovered“ this round and sold it commercially.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. It appears that you have a very functional AR w/6x45 custom barrel that shoots like a dream and you are going to take it apart and sell the barrel?

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6X45 built as a varmint rifle on a Ruger #3 action and equipped with a Unertl 1" target scope. I have contemplated taking it to the deer stand, but have so far resisted.

I once killed a deer with my 6X.225 Winchester varmint rifle, shooting off hand at about 100 yards. I hit him in the neck, severing the spinal cord and he died in his tracks. Certainly a fluke: it was not what I was aiming for.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
I'm confused. It appears that you have a very functional AR w/6x45 custom barrel that shoots like a dream and you are going to take it apart and sell the barrel?

I know Ray it doesn't make sense to everyone. I've found that the AR platform is really easy to try out something new so to speak. I can put one together myself with no trips to the gunsmith. Now that I've played with the 6x45 I will move on to something else (next project).
I'm trying my hardest to not add more rifles to the herd as I have more than what makes good sense.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot many whitetail, Mule deer, antelope and varmints with my custom African Sako L461. I have mostly used the GS customs 80 gr. and the old Barnes 75 gr. with H335 powder. Its been a quick killer, longest shot was 250 yards, the rest 100 to 150 yards..My rifle weighs 5 lbs. loaded and ready to go. My cowboy grandson, who is on the range daily obsconded with it, and sees no reason to shoot deer with anything else, if he draws a tag for elk Im sure he will shoot his elk behind the ear withit, why not he is among them daily and strictly a meat hunter...I suspect that between my daughter, two sons, and my grandson we have shot at least 50 deer, a few antelope, and lots of coyotes etc with that sweet little rifle..Its been posted on AR in the past months.

Its the full equal to a .243 Win at least in the field...A 75 or 80 gr. bullet at 2900 FPS and my max loaded tested 3020 ave. for 10 shots, but accuracy form this gun was 2900 FPS at .210.52 best I could mic it for 5 3 shot groups that would overlap btw.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I posted this barrel for sale in the classifieds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm Snell: Near as I can figure, that tiny bullet dropped about 16" a 300 yds and had about 450 ft lbs energy left. About right?

Posts: 3504 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Hmmm Snell: Near as I can figure, that tiny bullet dropped about 16" a 300 yds and had about 450 ft lbs energy left. About right?

Not quite Duane but close...
The specifics are 85 grain Sierra HPBT @ 2846 average fps, I figured about 9" roughly of holdover at the time because the rifle is sighted about 2.5" high at 100, dead on at about 215 yards.
At 315 yards according to the Sierra calculator the "tiny" bullet was still going about 2000 fps and 753 ft lbs of energy.
I routinely shoot my 300 yard gong with this rifle and a slew of other rifles, I'm lucky enough to have a range at my home so I get to shoot a lot year round.
If you like I can email you a picture of the "tiny" recovered bullet.....
I wasn't sure everyone wanted to know all the details but thanks for asking so I could share.
Dave Snellstrom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave imgur works pretty well for photos from a computer. I haven't messed with the app much. I enjoyed seeing the results from your rifle, makes me look forward to playing with mine more. Did Mike ever contact you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put together a 6x45 AR several years ago, a local friend ended up with it after a snowmobile accident left him with use of only one arm. He's killed at least 4 deer with it along with his grandsons another few, all with that Sierra 85gr HP. Nothing but great results from that bullet including a quartering away shot on a big 9 point 180ish dressed weight buck. That one went 30 yards before tipping over. It shoots sub-MOA with whatever load I put together at the time and he's been pecking away at that 50 loaded rounds ever since...might have to check and see if he needs more soon.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Matt what was your load if you recall?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Snellstrom..."Tiny bullet" was a Freudian slip...Yep..personally don't think highly about the 6mm's for big game... maybe over a corn pile a 100 yds. Happy it works for you and others.

Lightest bullet I ever shot over 300 range finder yds was 120 gr in 6.5 x 55, good sized Axis buck, Heart lung had him stumbling around a fair amount of time (as in uncomfortable for me)

Not much damage, just a hole. Seen plenty of 6mm's in the field in WY for 30 or so years...In my opinion, from observation, on average, they just don't cut it.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Huh! I wish I would have known. I've been a dyed in the wool Wyoming 6mm shooter for the past 35 years. My results are 180 deg different. .243/ 6mm remington's (Steyr Mod L, AR-10T, Sako A11, 788 6's and my 15 yo son just got a M591 sako classic.) A proper hunting bullet placed in the thorax is good medicine. My rifles like 100gr Grand Slams. When I run out of those I'll see how those 85 grain triple shocks work. I've also wanted to build a 6 by 45 for some time on the little A1 Sako I have. But it's such a little sweetheart .223 thst I can't bear the thought of breaking it down. I may have to go with an upper for my AR as well but I think I want an 18 inch barrel.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 400 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snell , I’ll have to ask his son to look on the box as I’m sure I have it written down. Duane, I agree with you on caliber choices for medium game too, although this gentleman hunts in a heated shack 50 yards behind his house overlooking a wooded draw. Shots are 75 yards tops and he’s in no hurry to shoot. It’s worked very well under those circumstances. I normally use 6.5 and up with the exception of a little 250 Savage I built for my daughter when she was 10.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you take out a heart, liver, or lungs or combination thereof, that animal is going to die pretty close to where that happened. Except animals that read the internet and know it wont kill them.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed deer with 22lr to 458 calibers.

Smaller calibers kill a lot of deer.

But they are not want I want when the once in a life time buck is standing there. Giving me a quartering away shot.

Now days I prefer a bit larger calibers with bullets a bit heaver for caliber.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As many deer as we have killed with the 6x45, its not the ultimate deer rifle, but most shots have been under 200 yards, same for the .243, most of the time it works great, but now and then things go haywire, I assure you of that,You have no room for error like you do with a 30-06 for instance..The old adage that a 22 in the gut is as bad as a 30-06 in the gut is just BS...The bigger the caliber in the gut the more likely they will move less before they get sick and lay down or just stand straddled legged..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote