New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read that that there were a lot of M95 Mausers rebarreled to 257 Roberts, and therefore loads were tailored to the same pressures as 7mm Mauser.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my Kimber takes 45 grains of IMR4350 under a 100 grain TSX, with zero signs of pressure. I am thinking to go to 46!

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.303 guy brings up an interesting point.
The 1st factory rifle chamberd for the Commercialized Roberts was I am prety sure, the Remingon Mdl 30.
For those who don't know the model 30 was a very nicly sporter made from left over WW1 1917 enfield actions.
My buddie has a 1917 remington in .375 H&H,
so I think it will handle the Roberts.
But there were lots of rifles chamberd for the origional ned Roberts version witch had a different shoulder angle.
But since remington gave the cartridge the Roberts name , they had to make sure if they were chamberd and fired in a custom pre 98 mauser, desaster did not follow...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dreaming back, I wish that Winchester would have chambered their Model 54 in 257 Roberts, or 250-3000.
I have a Rem Model 722 in 257 Roberts and it shoots very well for an old rifle. I wish Rem would have chambered the 722 in 250-3000 also.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Dreaming back, I wish that Winchester would have chambered their Model 54 in 257 Roberts, or 250-3000.
I have a Rem Model 722 in 257 Roberts and it shoots very well for an old rifle. I wish Rem would have chambered the 722 in 250-3000 also.

Don

The M54 was chambered in .257 Roberts according to Wilson's book on Winchesters. Lots of luck trying to find on though.
Paul B.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:
Finally a promising group with 120 grain Partitions! Ruger Ultralight.
Someting about groups like that that interest me - that 'flyer'. Why just one when the others were so consistant?

Inoticed that too. It would be interesting to know where the flyer was in the string. First? last? In the middle?

I have a rifle (Savage Model 10 .243 if it matters) that shot 5 shots often split into two groups, 3 shots and two shots, seperated by an inch or so, or with a single 1" flyer in the middle of the string. Bedding it made the groups a consistant 1/2" at 100 yards with 55g, 75g, and 95g bullets (load optimized for each of course).

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it was my group and I honestly don't know! When I shoot for groups I do NOT necessarily check every shot so that I don't subconsciously adjust my aim to compensate! There could be myriad causes: case being probably the most likely culprit.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:

Don

The M54 was chambered in .257 Roberts according to Wilson's book on Winchesters. Lots of luck trying to find on though.
Paul B.
Paul B.

Paul,

Thanks for that info. I've never seen a Model 54 in 257 for sale, or even heard of one.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
.303 guy brings up an interesting point.
The 1st factory rifle chamberd for the Commercialized Roberts was I am prety sure, the Remingon Mdl 30.
For those who don't know the model 30 was a very nicly sporter made from left over WW1 1917 enfield actions.
My buddie has a 1917 remington in .375 H&H,
so I think it will handle the Roberts.
But there were lots of rifles chamberd for the origional ned Roberts version witch had a different shoulder angle.
But since remington gave the cartridge the Roberts name , they had to make sure if they were chamberd and fired in a custom pre 98 mauser, desaster did not follow...tj3006

Original Model 30's were Stamped ".25 Roberts" on the barrel, the .257 name came later.
(Just sold my last Model 30 :-( )

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote