New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for solid deer hunting loads for the 257 Roberts. I have a Ruger m77 tang safety that has done real well with Hornady 117 btsp factory loads up to now.

I have 117 hornady btsp, and 100 ttsx, and have R19 and H380 on hand.

Anybody have a magic combo with these components? It doesn't have to be a max load or lazer trajectory, just a solid accurate load 2700-3000.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Can't really help you with your powders, but I really like 44.0 gr. of H4350 under a 117 SGK.

Get's me around 2800fps and sub moa groups.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
117 hornady btsp H380 39.3 gr, BR2 Rem case
100TSX Re 19 44 .1 gr, 210GM, Rem case

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find some H-414 or w-760,
Put 46 grains of it under those 100 grain tsx's. I get 3100 plus and sub MOA from two Roberts rifles...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saved this quote from John Barsness some time ago. It has saved me some time and $$ with several "Bob's":

"I generally stick to IMR4350 or H4350 in the Bob, about 46-47 grains with 100-grain bullets and 43-44 with 115-120's. Have generally found that if the 4350's will not shoot with .25-caliber big game bullets, there is either something wrong with the bullets or the rifle."

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 257 Deer load was recommended to me by John Barsness, using the 100 grain Nosler Partition bullet. 45.0 grains of H-4350 with Federal 210 primers delivers 9/16" accuracy at 100 yards for 3 shots.
I had tried heavier weight bullets but couldn't get the accuracy I wanted. So, I go with the 100 grainers.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
I saved this quote from John Barsness some time ago. It has saved me some time and $$ with several "Bob's":

"I generally stick to IMR4350 or H4350 in the Bob, about 46-47 grains with 100-grain bullets and 43-44 with 115-120's. Have generally found that if the 4350's will not shoot with .25-caliber big game bullets, there is either something wrong with the bullets or the rifle."

This is all you need to know.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My rifle is really shooting Sierra 117 spbt's and 41 grains of IMR-4350 with WW cases and CCI primers. Tiny little groups! Average at 2825fps.
I've shot several coyotes and one Antelope with it and all performed per the plan.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Checked my reloading log and have not used either powder.

However, here are some observations (your mileage may vary).

120gr btsp's for all - 117's should not be different:

IMR 4831 gave poor accuracy at all loads
IMR 4350 gave good accuracy at ~max loads, use w/caution
IMR 3031 at 33gr gave best accuracy, again, seemed to approx a max load. 35gr in my Ruger #1 was accurate, but showed pressure signs!!

All shooting done through the Ruger #1 at 100yds.

The 33gr of IMR 3031 w/120gr spbt took an antelope at 250yds w/one well placed shot.

Observation: Ruger's seem to like heavier bullets at near max loads... don't know why, just seems to be the case w/every Ruger I've owned. Even the inadvertent very hot load extracted easily in the #1.

'nother observation: Necks split after only a few reloads on higher pressure loads. The "Bob" cases aren't cheap, so I am loading down but still getting acceptable (1-1.5 MOA) accuracy w/best loads.

The Bob is a great, classic cartridge, but can be tempermental.

Final hint: try powders that fill the greatest amount of the case's capacity. That might be why I get better results w/~max loads... more consistent/efficient powder burning. Generally tru w/lighter bullets, so the 100gr's may be the way to go - more than adequate for deer-sized game.

Good luck!!!

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I had a similar experience with IMR 3031 ie. it gave very good accuracy, however I did not chrono the loads and they seemed quite mild so I did not pursue them because I thought they were low power. I will go back and chrono them. Thanks for the post. I had almost given up trying to find a good, accurate 120 grain load. Interestingly enough I HAVE noticed a difference in accuracy (in my rifle) between 115 grain bullets and 120 grain bullets, with the 120's less accurate, and the most accurate being the 100 grainers, but I was looking for a good 120 grain load!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I am getting the impression that over 100gr one needs round nose bullets for accuracy. Am I alone on this?

A slightly smaller case (the 303-25) is producing sub-MOA for me with AR2209/(H4350) under 85gr Noslers.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
303gur: I have had quite a few 257's over the years that have been very accurate with 117-120gr bullets. Including at least one Ruger 77, which refused to shoot 110grainers, but drove tacks with 117gr Sierras.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
I am getting the impression that over 100gr one needs round nose bullets for accuracy.

That not been my experience.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use 46 gr of rl-19 and the hornady 120gr hollowpoint.
it shoots to minute of crow at 200 and minute of rockchuck at 300.
the velocity is bout 2800. from my win mdl 70 featherweight.
i wouldn't hesitate to hunt deer or elk with this load either.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
I am getting the impression that over 100gr one needs round nose bullets for accuracy. Am I alone on this?

A slightly smaller case (the 303-25) is producing sub-MOA for me with AR2209/(H4350) under 85gr Noslers.

From what I have read, some early 257 Roberts had slow twist barrels that won't shoot well with longer spitzer 117's and 120's, especially those with BT's, but will shoot well with the shorter RN versions.

Maybe the troublsome barrels are rechambered 250-3000 - aka 250 Savage - barrels or from 250-3000 slow twist barrel stock?

I think the slow twist barrels are 1-14".

I had my 257 Roberts made with a faster twist barrel to ensure it will shoot the heavier bullets. Can't recall twist off hand.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My roberts is a 1 in 10 Stevens 200. It likes 38.5gr of Varget under a 100gr Sierra SBT. It is very accurate out to 300yds(minute of water turkey). I haven't chronographed it so I can't supply that data.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Ruger .257 Varmint, Tang safety, circa 1972, Still a sub MOA with bullets 90 grains or less. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that - that's interesting.

From Hodgdon
quote:
115 GR. NOS PART Hodgdon H380 .257" 2.780" 37.0 2567 39,600 CUP 40.0 2754 45,900 CUP

I took my 303-25 for a wee shoot. .6 MOA at 207yds, dodgy rest, 85gr Nostler balistic tips. Not quite a 257 Roberts - probably close to starting loads for the Roberts. Still, it's a 25 and that's what counts! Big Grin (Wonderful cartridge to shoot with!)

(I have become quite interested in the 85gr balistic tip. It does not blow a turkey apart. Just kills it dead! It is fast, accurate and non-explosive on small game. I wonder how that bullet would perform on bigger game? I know it exits a feral goat.)

Having a look at Hodgdons tables, 2800fps is still a moderate load. That would make a good long range load, I would think?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I use H-380 in my roberts with both 87 gn'ers, and 120's. Just run the ladder and you'll find what your rifle likes.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .257 Roberts is my favorite Mule and whitetail deer rifle out to 300 yards or so. I've had very good luck with 117 gr. Sierra Prohunters and H4831 powder in my Ruger.

Posts: 52 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the jigger:
It is very accurate out to 300yds(minute of water turkey).

I can't stand it, I gotta ask even though I know I'll probably regret it... Lord Luv a duck, WHAT'S A "WATER-TURKEY"?

I've got all these mental images of pelicans exploding, that sorta thing, please, please tell me!!

While I'm waiting, think I'll go have a couple of "Fire Station 5 "Blondes" to get my mind on some other image...

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Around here they are known as a Double Crested Cormorant, Phalacrocorax auritus. It's much easier to say water turkey.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

I can't stand it, I gotta ask even though I know I'll probably regret it... Lord Luv a duck, WHAT'S A "WATER-TURKEY"?

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS , now Protected by our silly ,silly, country.

30 years ago almost never seen in Texas , now a plague.

17HMR fodder ( a tad quieter than my Swift or the .257AI)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cliff hit the nail on the head!!!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Fire Station 5 "Blondes"

I'll confine myself to "medicinal beverages". beer

Hey! Our local gunshop (one of them) has a brand spanking new 257 Roberts in stock! No idea who made it but it sure looked good. (And felt good too!)

Regards
303Guy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally a promising group with 120 grain Partitions! Ruger Ultralight.

Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice group there. Make sure you give lots of time for that barrel to cool down. The Ruger Ultralights get a bit "off" quickly if the barrel heats up.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool down? Hell I just loaded (single round) and shot! Now I did have Westpac bed and free float the barrel and it still didn't shoot well. So at his suggestion I put some business cards betwen the barrel and forend to provide upward pressure. I may be a believer!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Peter, There was a very wise man that told me the Ruger liked contact on the end of the stock. IDBob, He was a very good man and had it right. Is Mike from Arizona? He always was a Ruger hound.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my rifle likes the Sierra 117 prohunters with 35 grains of Varget, it also likes the 100 grain Nosler BT's with 45 grains of IMR4350. Its a Kimber so the max length is 2.81 inches, I load them to just fit in the magazine box.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John barsness penned an article recently about .257 bore rifles, and was very impresed with ramshot magnum and ramshot hunter.
I loaded some up but have not shot them yet...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from the shooting range where I zeroed a scope/rifle combo. The rifle is a Remington Mountain Rifle in 257 Roberts, different rifle from the one I discussed in my earlier posting. I had some 87 grain Speer TNT loads worked up for use in Coyote hunting, and installed a 4x scope on the rifle as I'll be shooting short shots by calling them in.
After dialing the scope in to hit dead center at 100 yards, I shot two confirming shots that were in the center of the 10 ring, and 1/2" apart from each other. I declared that good enough.
The load if anyone is interested is 38.0 grains of Varget and Federal 210M primers, with the 87 grain TNT's.
I've been shooting a lot of the Speer TNT's in various calibers and have yet to find one load that don't shoot. They are amazingly accurate bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am stuck on 46 gr of H4350 and 100gr Partition for my deer/antelope hunting with the "Bob". Great load!!

Speer TNT's are great bullets. They are one of my favorite bullets in 50gr. for my 222 and 223.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally a promising group with 120 grain Partitions! Ruger Ultralight.
Someting about groups like that that interest me - that 'flyer'. Why just one when the others were so consistant? Possible shooter error? But it seems to happen to me when I was sure the shot was good. Could that be some factor like runout or neck tension or different case volume causing it? Should the 'ideal' load be one where that 'flyer' actually still remains part of the main group? That is to say, doesn't open the group much?

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just an observation, my light kimber will throw one wide if you do not hold it firmly and consistently on the bench, the rifle shown was also a light ruger so I suspect it applies there as well. I hold the rifle behind the front bag with my left hand, pull it snuggly to my shoulder and lay my cheek on the comb. If done it puts 3 100nosler BT's with 45 grains of IMR4350 into .6 inches, I am however going to try the 100 barnes TSX as despite everyone's consistently telling me that the BT is fine for WT deer want the confidence to bust them thru the shoulders if I need to.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
303, I think your question can only be answered by shooting another 5 shot group! I plan on doing this in the next couple of weeks.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had complete success using 244 Remington load data in my 257 Roberts cartridges IN MY RUGER M77 MKII. NOTE THIS IS A MODERN RIFLE BUILT TO HIGH PRESSURE STANDARDS.

This won't help on the heavier bullets in 257R, but I essentially reproduce 244 velocities in the same weight bullets (100 grains and under)in my 257R.

It makes sense in that this is the same base cartridge (from the 7mm Mauser), and a larger diameter bullet of the same weight should produce less peak pressure.

I did work the loads up, and used 257R +P cases. Proceed at your own risk, and I recommend you take the time to work up the load and check for pressure. Most of this load work was done with AA4350.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger m77 mI and was curious about using 6mm rem data for 100gn> loads. It is the same basic rifle and action that the 6mm and 25-06 is chambered in.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave-t:
I have the Ruger m77 mI and was curious about using 6mm rem data for 100gn> loads. It is the same basic rifle and action that the 6mm and 25-06 is chambered in.

I had basically the same idea, sothis morning I looked at the Nosler, Speer and Hornady manuals and compared the max loads for the powders I was interested in using. The most common powder was IMR-4350. In the Nosler manual, the charges were exactly the same. In the Speer manual, the charge for the .257 R. was 2.0 gr. higher than for the 6MM Rem. Barnes didn't show a 100 gr. bullet in 6MM so no comparison there. Same with the Sierra manual, data for 6mm with IMR-4350 but none for the "Bob".
The point being where I could compare the two cartridges, usually the "Bob" had either equal loading or a larger chage than the 6MM Rem.
I wonder it it's a case of data being brought up to date for modern rifles or what? bewildered
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul B:
... I wonder it it's a case of data being brought up to date for modern rifles or what? bewildered
Was the bob ever built on 'non-modern' actions?

Regards
303Guy