THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Splitting Hairs? Feedback wanted:

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Splitting Hairs? Feedback wanted:
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
This fall I'm laying plans to do some high country deer and elk rifle hunting. I knew this was comming, so when I saw a golden deal on a new Rem 700 ADL .270 I bought. Scoped up with a 2-8x Burris it weighs in at 8.5lbs.

Now, the way I see it, I have several options. All I need is some wisdom from you all. So here's the way I see it.

I could:

A. Shoot and be happy.
B. Ackley improve it's 22" barrel and gain 100fps
C. Rebarrel to a 24" 30-06
D. Rebarrel to a 24" .280 .... and join Jonas's cult
E. Rebarrel to an Ackley Improved version of 30-06 or .280

Personally, I'm leaning toward the .280 or 30-06AI option simply because they're substancially bigger than my beloved .25-06 deer slayer. And with the right bullet weight, the PBR wouldn't be all that much different from what I'm used to.

Anyhow, thanks for you're input.

------------------
>>>--------------------->
Toxophilie and carry a bent stick.
<---------------------<<<

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wal,

Try a 30 Gibbs - more powerful than the 06 AI, or a 338-06 AI.

Go w/a 27" barel and you're set.

Best o' luck.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Turn off your computer, buy a book by Jack O'Connor and be happy.

I would not rebarrel a good rifle. Just buy another one in a bigger caliber. Now thats a happy thought!

<ultramag>
posted
I would have to pretty much agree w/ Don. Why all the hassle w/ this gun to turn it into something for a marginal improvement or worse yet, something you could just go buy. I love odd calibers and different rifles, but this sounds like a waste of time and money.

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.

<dr280>
posted
Your post title says it all- splitting hairs-I prefer to split hairs with a Ruger #1 in .280. Have fun if your have the money spend- personally, I'd probably keep it as is, only if it was a shooter. If it doesn't shoot- then do a .280 job.

<Gary Rihn>
posted
Take it to the range & shoot it. If it's accuracy is up to your standards, leave it alone. If for some reason it has a bad barrel & won't shoot for you, only then would I be unscrewing it to rebarrel in one of your choices. A lot of effort & money for marginal improvement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it and be happy for the money you would spent putting a new barrel on you can buy another rilfe.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bed it, find a couple bullets it really likes, shoot it till your very comfortable & confident with it, & enjoy. If you wanted something else why did you buy it??

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Thanks for the reality check guys!

I'm kinda laughing at myself for this post, but in the end, I got what I wanted: discouragement for doing something for the sake of doing it. The choice was "A" from the start, and I kenw it. Guess I just needed someone to smack me upside the head and ask, "What are ya thinkin'?"

Anyhow, I bought a few boxes of shells, 130's 140's and 150's to play around some this weekend.

Thanks again!

------------------
>>>--------------------->
Toxophilie and carry a bent stick.
<---------------------<<<

<Matt_G>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by waldog:
Anyhow, I bought a few boxes of shells, 130's 140's and 150's to play around some this weekend.

Your going to shoot factory ammo in it!!
That's blasphemy!
BTW, how much does that stuff go for these days. It's been so long since I bought factory shells (except .22LR) I don't even know how much money I'm saving.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Waldog:

I say convert your new rifle to 4-wheel drive and run the elk over!!!

Seriously, by the time I saw your post, you already got all the good advice you need...to leave the rifle as is. Find a good load with a partition or X-bullet and forget about needing a bigger hole (this from a guy who shoots everything with a 375 H&H!).

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
It is easy to justify the blastfemous practice of shooting factory rounds when you have neither dies nor brass for the caliber. Now that I have some empties to reload with, I have a reason to go get some dies!

Shot about 35 rounds this afternoon. The freezing temperatures kept barrel heat down to nothing, but when the snow started blowing I decided to close shop! In the end, in seemed to prefer 140's though all grouped with unimpressive accuracy. ~1.8" 2.6" at (almost) 100yds. At least I was able to begin break in of the barrel. Topping the todo list is some basic gunsmithing. ie trigger adjustment, bed the action, and free float the barrel. That should be interesting, since the synthetic stock has two pressure points against the barrel an the end of the forend. Hummm.... I got a hunch then if I just spend a little quality time at the reloading bench, I'll be able to find the sweet spot and this thing will shoot as accurately as I will ever need it to.