THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .243 pills for pigs & goats

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 pills for pigs & goats
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have recently purchased a Weatherby in .243 & am going to put a Leupold 3.5-10 VXIII on it, Having never shot pigs or goats with the .243 what are the best projectiles to use. [Smile]

Posts: 28 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
I used to hunt mule deer with a .243. I always used Hornady 100gr spire point and 43 gr IMR 4831 with great success.

Any of the Barnes X, Nosler partitions, Rem 100 gr CorLokt, 100gr Hornady, 105gr Speer should work well on pigs and goats.

MM

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
Torana Man [Wink]
The remington 100gn factory ammo very accurate if you want to stock up on your brass (good on pigs as well) the 80gn BT's are good for roos.

Cheers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an opportunity to buy a cheap Luger chambered in 222 rem or in 22-250. This rifle will be used for target shooting and eventually on foxes, cats, and other small varmints, and I don't want to spend a lot of money on an expensive rifle just for that. The barrel is only 50 cm long. My question is, isn't that too short to get all the benefit of the 22-250, and must I go for the 222?
BTW, this gun also exists in 223 which is restricted here in France (military...), what is the difference between 222 rem and 223 rem???

Thanx

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the mistake. This is a new topic [Smile]

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter - DownUnder:
[QB]Torana Man [Wink]
QB]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Im looking at using 90gr Nosler ballistic tips, does anyone know if they will be to hard for goats or should I perhaps go for the 70-80gr varmint pills, snything good among sierra or Hornady. Even the speer grandslams maybe?

Posts: 28 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
King,the .223 is about a ten'th of an inch longer.Most of the older shooters swear that the .222 has the edge in accuracy.Mike Walker originally designed the .222 for benchrest shooting,The military increased the length for more powder space so it could meet some pre-written criteria.Me personally,,,,,I think it's 6 in one hand,,,a half dozen in the other.I also think the .222 would be a bit more efficient in a short barreled piece. [Wink]

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote