Find
Notify
Tools

270 or 7mm WSM??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted
I'm feeling the urge to get a new Model 70. It'll be either the 270 WSM or 7mm WSM. I have various 7mm's, so, I don't really NEED another one. Of course, with all those 7's, I have a bunch of different 7mm bullets to try, so that's a plus.

I don't have a 270 Win at the present time, and, as a student of Jack O', I really SHOULD have a 270, right?

PA whitetails are about the only game I'll be hunting, so, that shouldn't make a difference. What a quandry.

Advice, comments, flames welcomed.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Well since you have a bunch of 7's and no .270 I think the choice is obvious. I've got a grade IV BAR in .270 which I love, unfortunately it's really finicky about bullets and likes the 140 gr. cheap Remington core-lokt, go figure. Fortunately for the type of game I hunt, deer and antelope, that works out perfectly. I'd go for the .270 on the basis that everyone should have at least one.
JeffM
Houston

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Like you I don't need another rifle but my curiosity is up a little on the WSM's. In bolt rifles I like the M-70's too and use the older ones.

So I chose the 7mm WSM for no reason other than I have a bunch of 7mm bullets from excursions into the 7mm Mauser and Rem Mag vrs a .270 WSM and that I have way too many .300 mags.

I plan to carry this rifle a little as a long range varmint blaster also to get used to it. Since I ordered a plastic stocked SS version they tell me there are none yet. It's going to be interesting to see what I get as the sky has been falling on some here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never thought about that till now - maybe I should take my 270 Mauser 98 and rechamber it for the 270 WSM - I imagine the bolt face will have to be altered and the barrel turned down or screwed in a bit. Hmmm?

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mod. 70 Fthwt in .270 WSM and really like it, of course .270 Win. is my favorite cartridge!

I have only loaded one bullet, Ms Moly coated 130gr Hornady Interlockt, and I'm half a grain under max for uncoated bullets and averaging 3,185 fps...I fully expect to get 3,300fps out of it..

I will be switching over to Hornady 150's one of these days because I bought 1,000 from Midsouth shooters supply for $35 at their blowout sale.

Winchester 150gr Powerpoint factory loads gave me over 3,200fps..That's serious medicine!!!

Mike

-

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ready_on_the_right:
I have a Mod. 70 Fthwt in .270 WSM and really like it, of course .270 Win. is my favorite cartridge

Where did you get that stock?

That rig sure looks great in a practical sort of way.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd it is a McMillan Featherweight stock off of their INTERNET SPECIALS page HERE

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
To read how the stock came about check out the Campfire

Mike

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey, ready_ -

Did you have any trouble coming up with that 270 WSM Fwt? I've been checking around, and no one around here seems to have any in either 270 or 7 WSM [Frown]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R-West I had been seeing ammo and dies for a couple of months, this rifle was the first I had actually layed my hands on and it stuck!! I wasn't exactly looking for a new rifle, but did have a lot of interest in all the hype...Luckily I have a forgiving wife!!

I have since seen several .270's out and about here in GA, but don't know if I've seen any 7MM's

Mike