One of Us
posted Hide Post
id like to have one but more than 500.00

Posts: 74 | Location: NC | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Speed,

Check out this guy: Conquest Factory Refurbs (full warrantee)

http://www.samplelist.com/default.aspx?display_num=10&m...e=-1&hide_sold=false

Prices might well be in your range.

Back to the case in point: if you are looking at a 257 WBY, then you are talking about a long range rifle, yes?

I wouldn't go less than 4-12x.

If the conquest doesn't work, my choice would be a Leupold VXIII. Midway shows a 4.5-14x40 for $529. Might be worth stretching the budget a tad.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes movi what I kinda had in mind or a Burris black diamond 4X12

Posts: 74 | Location: NC | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of archer_375
posted Hide Post
I am sure you can get a Conquest for under $500 (3x9x40)...I vote Zeiss Conquest...I have 7 of them.

Posts: 183 | Location: Where the deer and antelope play | Registered: 27 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speed_kills:
yes movi what I kinda had in mind or a Burris black diamond 4X12

I had a Burris Fullfield 2 - which is not the same as the Black Diamond by any means...however:

I absolutely HATED it. The eye piece was super sensitive to head & eye positioning - get it off by even the smallest amount and all you got was white haze. In bright light it also hazed out from glare. And finally, it's low light gathering capabilities were horrible.

I had a hog come out in Texas at 6:30pm - after sunset and very dark. I had two rifles in the blind - my 336 with the Fullfield and my M7MS with a VXIII 2.5-8. The Fullfield was so dark I literally almost couldn't pick up the hog (250# hog at 125 yards). Thankfully I had the second rifle with the VXIII and picked up that hog instantly, no problem.

Anyway, I just wasn't impressed with Burris at all and have sworn off them.

Again, I had a Fullfield II - the Black Diamond could well be a miracle scope.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kind of reminds me about a fellow who had a $40K boat but didn't want to spend $800 to fix the trailer it set on !. Each to their own .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon Monarch

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
speed kills,

I think before you plunk down 500 for a scope you should consider several factors. first decide what kind of hunting are you going to do big game vs varmints. At what distances will the majortiy of your shots be taken, do you want a high magnification scope or not. Do you want a range finding/compensating reticle etc.
I also take into consideration the esthetics of the scope and rifle. Do you want a large objective or a small one, do you want a long scope or a short one.I have a Burris 8 x 32 signature on my accumark. The accumark is not a small petite rifle and this long scope does not over power the rifle. On the other hand I have a petite cooper model 38 in 22 hornet. I have mounted 4.5 x 14 x 40 Leupold VariX_III on it and its beautiful.
Take a look at Bushnell elites, Leupold, nikon monarchs, Swrovski, Zeiss and note the difference in the reticles to see which one you like the most.
I do not know what your financial situation is but If this if going to be a go to rifle, I would not scrimp on the optics.
One way I have come to, in order to reduce my costs, is to buy used scopes at gunshops and pawnshops.
Sometimes If I can get a good enough deal, I will buy a rifle and scope combo, take the scope off and sell the rifle. A short while back I purchased a ruger 77 in 300 win mag in a pawnshop. Someone had chopped the barrel off to 22 inches and installed a muzzle brake. However it had a Ziess Diavari C 3 x 9 scope. Back in the day i believe that that was about an $800 scope. I purdhased the whole rig for $500 as I remember and sold the rifle for
$300 at a gunshow. Not bad, a Ziess Diavari scope for 200. Anyway hope you get the picture.
Good luck on whatever you decide and good hunting.
GWB
PS. let us know, w/pix what you end up with

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 3.5-10X Zeiss conquest on my 257 WBY.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whilst the adage "cry once" may seem cliched, the bottom line is that it is true.

If you can permit saving for a quality - life long keeper scope- to add up and get a quality item, you will one, derive great pleasure from its use and also, have a quality optic for life.

Yes, it is easy for others to say!

Posts: 43 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I'm in agreement with that !. Buy the BEST one can afford never look back , sell the Weapon keep the Scope !.

When purchasing a scope or Rifle ,Pistol or what ever ; advice is a tough pill to swallow !.

Everyone swears by what they own or have owned or are currently using . Sako No Styer No Mauser you get the picture .

I give every scope manufacturer the benefit of the doubt even the less expensive brands .

Simmons for example go ahead have a laugh but take this to the bank .I've got a Atec 2.8X10X? which we all know isn't a target scope or a high dollar unit it sets on one of my AR's !.

Now here's the fact # 15 shots , 3 #5 round groups into a hole that a dime will cover with change at 100Yd. . BushMaster Target XM E2S 20" Chrome lined bore !. Who says Chrome lined bores aren't accurate ?.

If it weren't mine and having the targets to prove it , I'd raise the BS flag on myself !.
Truth is I'm afraid to put any other scope on it while it keeps doing that !!.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For under $500 USA made......Leupold VARI X III in the 3x9x40 is a great scope.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Leupold. I've got a VXII 3-9x40 for a Ruger #1 in .243 (mostly used for deer hunting) and a VXII 6-18x40 for a Ruger M77VT in .243 (mostly used for varmint hunting)

Both have the LR duplex reticle. Leupold makes them slightly different for big game / varmint applications, but they are similar.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong

Posts: 29 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 06 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nikon Monarch...and use the "change" from the $500 you set aside to get some good rings, sling, etc.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9362 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
rnovi wrote:
quote:
absolutely HATED it. The eye piece was super sensitive to head & eye positioning - get it off by even the smallest amount and all you got was white haze. In bright light it also hazed out from glare. And finally, it's low light gathering capabilities were horrible.

I had a hog come out in Texas at 6:30pm - after sunset and very dark. I had two rifles in the blind - my 336 with the Fullfield and my M7MS with a VXIII 2.5-8. The Fullfield was so dark I literally almost couldn't pick up the hog (250# hog at 125 yards). Thankfully I had the second rifle with the VXIII and picked up that hog instantly, no problem.

If you could not see the hog through the FFII and could through the VX-III, and assuming similar power settings, your Burris needs to go back to the factory.

Or hey, I'll give you $50 bucks to take it off your hands... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9362 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Nikon Monarch...and use the "change" from the $500 you set aside to get some good rings, sling, etc.

This is great advice. I too have four rifles with the Monarch sitting atop of them with leupold mounts and rings all lapped and rock solid. Not Vari X III but great nun the less.

The old style (last year) monarch 3x9x40 can be purchased for just over $200 on a web/auction site that starts with e and ends with bay.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
apparently the Bushnell Elite 3200 w/Rainguard - Mil Dot Reticle.

its meant to be pretty bomb proof plus i've heard the turrets are accurate and very repeatable!

its not a vari-power so there are less things to go wrong, good construction etc, plus it comes with the elite 'bullet proof warrenty' no questions asked, one year replacement warrenty.

thats pretty good for only $165 @ binoculars.com

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
There is only one scope to consider ( for me anyways) Leupold VX-III Period!
A 3.5-10 x40 or a 4.5-14x40 would be the one. If ever a problem Leupolds customer service is without question and it is doubtful that you would need to ever use it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
There is only one scope to consider ( for me anyways) Leupold VX-III Period!
A 3.5-10 x40 or a 4.5-14x40 would be the one. If ever a problem Leupolds customer service is without question and it is doubtful that you would need to ever use it.

thumb ditto...dollar for dollar and USA made.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
ted thorn wrote:
quote:
dollar for dollar and USA made.

No, that is not quite correct. They are assembled here but I can assure you that they are not made of 100 percent American parts.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
ted thorn wrote:
quote:
dollar for dollar and USA made.

No, that is not quite correct. They are assembled here but I can assure you that they are not made of 100 percent American parts.

I won't argue that at all but they are the most (MADE IN THE USA) Quality scope.

I would like you to point out what part you know is made out of the USA I would like to check on this come Monday? I am a stockholder.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I can assure you the glass is Asian-made. Also, a number of the Leupold products, such as the older Wind River line, were not even assembled here.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Kamiah Kid
posted Hide Post
Leupold is hard to beat in that price range.

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamiah, Idaho | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:

Anyway, I just wasn't impressed with Burris at all and have sworn off them.

Again, I had a Fullfield II - the Black Diamond could well be a miracle scope.
A bitlike Apples and Oranges here. A $200 Burris scope vs. a $500 Leupy. I have several Burris Fullfields, Fullfield II's, Signatures, Signature Select's, and one Euro Diamond. I personally think they are some of the best optics you can buy for the money. I would never compare them against anything above their set price range and expect a miracle though. I hear their service is hit or miss but luckily I haven't had to deal with them yet.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you've never looked through a 6X42 FXIII by Leupold you're missing a great light gathering scope.......fixed 6 power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well let me assure each and everyone of you , great optics cost money !. As for light gathering I say it's a TIE between Zeiss , Nikon and Leupold !. Heres why the New Nikon Monarch series as well as the Gold ring series are Identical in their ability to gather low level light Ditto with Leupold as well as Zeiss NONE are any better at it then the other !.

I own all three and use ALL THREE , I also have 20/10 vision .

For the Dollar too Dollar Value that goes too Nikon , Leupold then Zeiss .

Price wise we're talking Apples for acorns .
Nikon least expensive for a GREAT SCOPE then LEUPOLD , last is ZEISS.

Now before any one goes ballistic , I prefer my ZEISS but it's well over TWICE the price of the other two scopes !!. IMO it has some of the worlds finest optics PERIOD .

That's not to say the other scope manufactures don't as well Swarovski ,NightForce ,IOR as well as others I have looked through and used on friends guns .

A fair amount of price differences can be attributed to the Euro Dollar difference .

Bottom line for me I was so impressed not only with the price on the NEW NIKON'S but the Quality , clarity along with the warranty as well .

So with the money I saved , I bought a New $700.00 rifle and #3 quality scope ring sets and still had money left over !.

One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
Conquest by a margin, reticle is etched and always black - eye relief is constant with one eye position at any power - diopter focus is faster and easier to set - and service is right there with leupold. Assembled, warrantied, stocked and sold in USA.

Focus

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
M<eopta?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss Conquest either a 1.8-5.5x38 or a 3-9x40 MC.

Check http://www.cameralandny.com

Has been running special on the first at $350. The second has been between $375 and $400. Would leave you monies for the rings and bases. (Just checked their new 1.8-5.5s are the same. The demo 3-9s are $380 Hard to beat those prices!)

I like them better than the Leupolds.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
speed kills,

I think before you plunk down 500 for a scope you should consider several factors. first decide what kind of hunting are you going to do big game vs varmints. At what distances will the majortiy of your shots be taken, do you want a high magnification scope or not. Do you want a range finding/compensating reticle etc.
I also take into consideration the esthetics of the scope and rifle. Do you want a large objective or a small one, do you want a long scope or a short one.I have a Burris 8 x 32 signature on my accumark. The accumark is not a small petite rifle and this long scope does not over power the rifle. On the other hand I have a petite cooper model 38 in 22 hornet. I have mounted 4.5 x 14 x 40 Leupold VariX_III on it and its beautiful.
Take a look at Bushnell elites, Leupold, nikon monarchs, Swrovski, Zeiss and note the difference in the reticles to see which one you like the most.
I do not know what your financial situation is but If this if going to be a go to rifle, I would not scrimp on the optics.
One way I have come to, in order to reduce my costs, is to buy used scopes at gunshops and pawnshops.
Sometimes If I can get a good enough deal, I will buy a rifle and scope combo, take the scope off and sell the rifle. A short while back I purchased a ruger 77 in 300 win mag in a pawnshop. Someone had chopped the barrel off to 22 inches and installed a muzzle brake. However it had a Ziess Diavari C 3 x 9 scope. Back in the day i believe that that was about an $800 scope. I purdhased the whole rig for $500 as I remember and sold the rifle for
$300 at a gunshow. Not bad, a Ziess Diavari scope for 200. Anyway hope you get the picture.
Good luck on whatever you decide and good hunting.
GWB
PS. let us know, w/pix what you end up with

Agreed, there are a million scopes you could get for that pricie, really depends on usage

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Actually the best thing I can recommend for you is to compare the bunch for yourself if you can. What works the best for someone else might not be to your liking.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
speed kills,

I think before you plunk down 500 for a scope you should consider several factors. first decide what kind of hunting are you going to do big game vs varmints. At what distances will the majortiy of your shots be taken, do you want a high magnification scope or not. Do you want a range finding/compensating reticle etc. ...
There are a lot of excellent scopes mentioned above. Until you provide those answers, all the information offered may not be what you need though.

Lots of good "short-range" scopes above and a few that might do for longer range.

I would not get a 257Wby for up-close shooting, though it will do that too.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
There's been a bunch of great scopes mentioned. What I notice is that many are variables topping at 9x or 10x. My eyes are not that bad. But stuff looks darned small to me at 500 yards through 10x glass.

I have a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20X on a 7-STW. It's a darned good scope for around $350. I have shot it to 600 yards so far and smallish targets show up quite well out there through the 20X magnification.

I am a big fan of the Burris Fullfield II as well.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best scope for $500: either a vxIII or buy 2 vxI's. The moral of the story is leupold. IMHO

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
There's a slightly used conquest over at the hunter's campfire for $400....3.5x10.....as for myself I like magnification and I have a 4x14 on my 257 wby.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For big game I'd be inclined to try the Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
For a 257 WBY I'd be looking for a VXIII 3.5-10 or 4.5-14. Like others have mentioned, shop around for good used scopes. I just picked up a NIB VXIII 4.5-14 with Varmint Hunter reticle from a guy for $375. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote