New
Find
Notify
Tools

223, 35 v-max, blue dot
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
Well I finally managed to get to the range last Friday to sight in my new to me .223 rem 700 varmint rifle, and try a few loads. The most suprising load was the 35 max over 13 gr blue dot, which was tried as a just for the heck of it load. I haven't been shooting much lately so my form wasn't the best, but both 5 shot groups were a touch over 1/2" at 100 yds. I'll have to chrono them, but I'm guessing they'd be running around 3000 fps. Needless to say there is essentially no recoil.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I continue to be amazed at the performance of Blue Dot for "mid range" loads in centerfire varmint rifles.

I ran out and bought a couple of pounds of B.D. the other day, just to make sure I had some on hand for some time to come. At 12.5 gr/load, that two pounds is more than 1100 rounds worth.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I just need to find a reasonably accurate bulk 45-50 gr sp bullet to combine with the blue dot loads and I'll be set.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
banana

Aww that ain't nothin'!

Try bumping that up to 14.5 grains...That 35 grain V max is not a very aerodynamic bullet.. I don't waste my time on it..

however, after trying some of the 30 grain Berger HPs under Blue Dot loads... now that is something to enjoy!

37 grain Calhoon HPs are also a fun bullet to shoot with Blue Dot....

either at the target range.. or also out in the field....

And I really don't purchase all that much Blue Dot.. as Stoney says.. it just stretches that far!!! 2 lbs at 1100 rounds worth! ( actually I only get about 500 rounds out of a pound of it as my favorite load for 223 seems to be 14 grains of it, with a 50 grain TNT, or 14.5 grains with a 40 grain B/Tip or Sierra HP)...

My cheapest field load, which is highly accurate.. is 13.5 grains of Blue Dot...with 55 grain Hornady bulk bullets ( from Grafs' @ $71.00 per thousand).. that works out cheaper than a 22 Win Mag any day, and cheaper than a 17 HMR...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I know the 35 isn't the sleekest bullet, I'd bought a box for my daughters 221 and figured I'd load up a few and see what they'd do. After seeing what they did, I loaded up the rest of the box the same way.

I'll have to try some of the hornady bulk bullets, or some of midways.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I wasn't slamming you there my friend.. I hope it didn't come across that way...

I have always been disappointed in the 35 grain V Max....

But after recently trying the 30 grain Berger and I plan to pick up some of the 36 grain Varmnint Grenade Barnes the next time I go over to the new Sportsman's Whorehouse that opened in Medford...

I got some pretty darn impressive velocities out of that 30 grain Berger and of course, stellar accuracy....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote