Find
Notify
Tools

E=mc.........huh?????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
I don't want to hijack anyone's thread or criticize anyone, but I've seen posts on this board and others asking how to achieve phenomenal velocities. A recent poster wants this for explosive performance on varmints.

Since Energy is Mass X Velocity squared, couldn't the same performance be had with a heavier bullet moving at a more sedate speed? Big velocity numbers are impressive, but come at the expense of barrel life and can be hard on the brass.

Do not read this as a personal attack on anyone. I also have an obsession with big numbers, but mine is with the bigger cases like the .378Wby and .416 Rigby/.338 Lapua. Despite advice from people who have forgotten more than I will ever know about long-range shooting, I'm sure I'll one day have a .338-.378, or some other Loudenboomer.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by LongDistanceOperator:
Since Energy is Mass X Velocity squared, couldn't the same performance be had with a heavier bullet moving at a more sedate speed?

Lee buddy, nope. Roy Weatherby was partly right in his old "velocity kills" adage. You could have the same energy, no doubt, but not the same energy transfer, or 'performance'. Me and a buddy ran Lapua's 105 gr HP at 1080 mps (3550 fps) from a .30-06 and the performance on seagulls were incredible - just a bunch of feathers to pick up... No way you could do that with a 180 gr pill @ 2750 fps, even if energy is alike.

On big game this type of performance is neither wanted or attainable, at least not with common shoulderfired arms, so there the "velocity kills" line of thinking really goes down the drain. Punch a hole straight through their lung/heart area and they'll die for sure, but the energy levels and bullet constructions capable of blowing their intestines over a 100 sq.ft. area wouldn't leave much edible meat - neither on the animal or on the poor fellow stupid enough to fire such an arm without securing it to Mt McKinley first...

And my cravings for a .416 Rigby, 6.5/300 Wby and a .577 Tyrannosaur are totally ridiculous, but who gives a..?

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. OK. I guess I learn something new every day.

6.5/300Wby, eh???? I had an online discussion with a guy who had one of those "back in the day". He said that they would set back the barrel at least once a season.

I read about the .257 Banshee (parent is 6.5x68) in the PS Reloading Guide. Sounds pretty wild, but since there are many more quality bullets available in 6.5mm, maybe some type of 6.5x68IMP would be a good thing to try.

The .30BooBoo is getting a lot of talk since that new record for 5-shot group size. I've been interested in that one for a while.

Decisions, decisions.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
I think the "explosive" effect on varmint is more due to flash cavity created by the sonic wave than the frangibility of the bullets. The latter just prevents ricochets. If that's true then velocity is more important. The problem is "big game" animals are large enough that the flash cavity doesn't exceed the body's ability to contain it. Just look at some pictures of gelatin block while a bullet passes through. You'll get an idea of what I'm saying.

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
LDO,

I am a big wienie on recoil, don't like it never will. and the other guy is right about using smaller bullets on larger animals, BUT with todays bullets that are able to stay together a such high rotational speeds and deliver good accuracy you have to place your shots. These small rounds are not bone crushers, but can allow people that are sensistive to recoil to shoot better. I have a 7mmSTW using 150gr BT's @ 3200fps with a Ruger#1 that weighs 10-11 pds recoils is not that bad, but it is also not much fun just shooting deer in the shoulder anymore. Lately I have been using the high shoulder shot it is a little more challenging because I wait for them to turn just so, so there will be no meat damage just slip it in under the tenderloin and above the shoulder. I bowhunt and muzzleload hunt for the extra that it brings. Personally I try not to shoot any deer with a centerfire anymore that is not a least 200yds. away, I shoot out of box stands with a very good rest. My next challenge is head shooting, the STW kinda messes'em up when you do that. I wanted something that is small and accurate but goes like hell yeah I could have used a 6br or ppc, but I also like reloading very much and trying different things and the 6br just ain't fast enough. I hunt with a guy who uses a 300Win mag with 220gr pills our deer are 150lbs max most 135, but if that is what he wants then fine.
But speed does kill just from the shock if the bullet is placed right. Anyway I have taken no offense you like'em big and slow and I fast and little as long as the animal does not suffer it is still dead and gives us something to talk about. May you hit all that you shoot at.

Wayne

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Montana:
LDO,

Personally I try not to shoot any deer with a centerfire anymore that is not a least 200yds. away, I shoot out of box stands with a very good rest. My next challenge is head shooting, the STW kinda messes'em up when you do that.

Wayne

Small wavy target surrounded by jaws and things that if hit result in lingering and agonising death and from more than 200m? Surely not...

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post

Maybe I should clarify, I only head shoot now if it is under a 100yds. The 200yds is the high shoulder shot, with a bit more room for error and 99% of the time the deer drop in their tracks. No I do not want anything to suffer because of my actions, but I do like to shoot'em.

1894 why do you not have your e-mail listed so that I could send this directly to you.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Wildcat>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Mats:
Lee buddy, nope. Roy Weatherby was partly right in his old "velocity kills" adage. You could have the same energy, no doubt, but not the same energy transfer, or 'performance'. Me and a buddy ran Lapua's 105 gr HP at 1080 mps (3550 fps) from a .30-06 and the performance on seagulls were incredible - just a bunch of feathers to pick up... No way you could do that with a 180 gr pill @ 2750 fps, even if energy is alike.

-- Mats

Maybe so but i don't like picking up feathers - i'd pull out one of the handy seventeens and then i'd have to pick up 1 thing - a seagull that makes a sloshing noise when you move im

------------------
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed !!

[This message has been edited by Wildcat (edited 08-23-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Energy is weight divided by two multiplied by velocity squared and momentum is weight multiplied by speed. The result is that when a lighter bullet has the same momentum level as a heavier bullet, it will have more energy. Some examlples are:
A 40 grain .224 bullet at 4550 fps and a 50 grain .224 bullet at 3640 fps both have 26 lb-f/s momentum, but the faster bullet has 1839 ft-lb energy compared to 1471 ft-lb for the 50 grain bullet. Both will penetrate similar depths if bullet integrity remains good, but the 40 grain bullet will leave a bigger permanent wound channel. The same happens when comparing a 265 grain .375" bullet at 3000 fps and a 350 grain .375" bullet at 2272 fps. Both have 113.6 lb-f/s momentum but the 265 grain bullet has 5297 ft-lb energy compared to 4013 ft-lb for the 350 grain bullet.

I like speed because it brings a lot of good stuff along with it. Trajectories flatten, wind drift reduces, time of flight is less and, providing the right bullet is chosen for the job at hand, results are better.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

<AKI>
posted
E=mc2 is Einsteins formula for the relationship between energy and mass. c i the speed of light. To use this formula to calculate the energy of a bullet the mass of the bullet would have to be converted to energy, pure energy. This is what is utilised in nuclear reactions e.g. bombs. The effect would be truly spectacular. A 100gr bullet would deliver 583,200,000,000,000 Joules (600 trillion Joules). That�s ENERGY! What you are discussing is cinetic energy that lacks some punch in this context. Take care! AKI

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKI:
E=mc2 is Einsteins formula for the relationship between energy and mass. c i the speed of light. To use this formula to calculate the energy of a bullet the mass of the bullet would have to be converted to energy, pure energy. This is what is utilised in nuclear reactions e.g. bombs. The effect would be truly spectacular. A 100gr bullet would deliver 583,200,000,000,000 Joules (600 trillion Joules). That�s ENERGY! What you are discussing is cinetic energy that lacks some punch in this context. Take care! AKI

oops!